No announcement yet.

AR15 on deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are at least a dozen good bullets that will get the job done in an AR on deer and hogs. Several have been mentioned already. That 64 Winchester is a good one, as is the 62 Fusion. Barnes of course. I reload, and the one I shoot for everything from coyotes to pigs and deer is the 65 Sierra Game King. It is a good all around bullet. I have also used the 60 grain Partition, and killed half a dozen does on MLD permits one year with the Cutting Edge Bullets 40 grain ESP Raptor. Don't let the weight fool you, that is one bad to the bone little bullet.

Pick your shot and put it where it needs to go. About 150-170 yards is generally where I set my limit on bigger game with the 223/556 just because of retained energy. Doesn't mean it won't kill them further than that, because it will. Just the way I prefer to do it.

Comment

My feeder is at about 100 yards

Comment

I shot a buck last year at 185 yards with my .223 rifle through the chest while he was facing me and I dropped him in his tracks. Shot 2 more does about 150 yards later in the season behind the shoulder double lung and neither made it over 50 yards. Al have had crazy destruction. The buck was facing me and I ended up finding the bullet buried in his hind quarter in the hip bone. Hornady American Whitetail 60 Gr. Soft Point bullets have done the trick

Comment

Just checked what ammo I have for it it’s a Hornady 55gr FMJ think it’ll work?

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5CM View Post
            It could work but probably the worst choice since fmj is designed to NOT expand. Go buy a box of just about any .223 ammo with an expanding bullet.

Comment

I'd only use that for head shots on pigs. Other than that go get some jacketed ammunition for deer.

I've killed a couple of sheep using some handloaded 50 gr. Nosler BT in my CZ 527. It's a bolt action, but the critters dropped straight down and never moved.

Comment

Works great, look for Hornady Black Ammo

Bassic hollow Point... I like 75 grain

Comment

Absolutely not, poor choice in ammo. Go to academy and get hunting ammo.

Comment

10-4 thanks for all the advice I’ll be heading to bass pro or academy in the next day or so

Comment

Works wonders. 64 grain Winchester super x to high shoulder on spike and neck on the 6 point. Never had a deer run off, like they all have said it’s all on placement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

223 vs deer dead just like a .308 or .300 win. Shot placement and bullet is key. I personally love .223 for deer I’ve killed over half the deer I’ve taken with an ar15 in 223 countless hogs too.

I personally shoot either head shots or in the thinnest part of the neck just behind the head I use hot handloaded 50gr VMAX bullets break the spine every time.

Or I shoot 75gr bullets out of a bolt gun. Last doe I shot was 201 yards directly in the eye.

I’ll probably catch crap for my opinion but it is what it is.

If your shooting lung/heart use a soft point bullet It will knock them over...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post

That’s some good shooting

Comment

That’s some good shooting

Thanks brother lots of rounds down range for those shots.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                                Thanks brother lots of rounds down range for those shots.

I definitely need to put more time at the range.

Comment

Working...
                                X