Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building 6.5 Grendal on AR-15 platform. Any advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
    Tell that to Bill Alexander. That was the answer straight from him at SHOT show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Tell Bill hello.

Comment

Originally posted by TX Fireman 911 View Post
      I have a Bear Creek 20" stainless twisted flute 1:8 twist and it performs great. I am curious why yall are having issues?
      You got one of the few good ones. The one I referenced was the second one I had problems with.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
        Ok, so got a bit distracted and am just now getting around to researching and building.

Bought a Faxon 18" match grade for my first one. It was on sale, had great reviews, under $200. Initially I wanted to build a gun that could go as far as I would ever want it to go, but now that I'm on a lease and know what shots I'd be taking, there's no reason right now as I'd have a shot no longer than about 600 on hogs and 400 or lease on deer once I build up some confidence. I felt good about having enough power with a shorter barrel to reach out to about 600. Eh, we'll see.

Anyway - that brought me to my next question. I was hoping to save a bit of $ on the BCG. Can I get away with mixing and matching BCG/barrel? And, if you can answer this one... What's the difference between type 1 and type 2 BCG??

Thanks all.

your Faxon barrel is Type 2. will take any Type 2 BCG.

Comment

Keep this one going, I'm piling on the points on my credit card, doing my own grendel build right now!

Comment

Look at Grendelhunter.com. I ended up going custom with www.unique-ars.com and super excited for it to come in! I completed lower last week.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Was looking at psa 12.5" complete upper has very good reviews last time i checked they were going for $329

Comment

Originally posted by 2BigMethod View Post
                Was looking at psa 12.5" complete upper has very good reviews last time i checked they were going for $329
                For a truck gun, no problem. PSA barrels are not near as accurate as say, a Larue. So, it depends on how much accuracy you demand.

Comment

Found a matching type 2 bcg made by faxon through opticsplanet.com. Also compared parts for the dust cover, trigger, charging handle, forward assist... Went with Striker Industries based on price. Plus, it should made my cool slightly "cool" with the red colors. I did noticed my barrel ended up being backordered, so this may take a while.

Comment

Got barrel, charging handle, gas system and forward assist in the mail today.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Comment

I could use some help on picking rings and glass... I ma thinking 600 yards with a chance at stretching it out to 800?

I am clueless when it comes to scope. All advice welcomed.

Comment

@elliscountyhog
                        Not sure if to see this. Maybe it might help you

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for You and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor, but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.

Comment

Thx pb2.

Comment

I have built at least 20 of them so far. I have had the most consistency with Odinworks. Only used Faxon on one, and it was just as good as the Odinworks were. Tbox is supposed to make good barrels, but the only one I built on wouldn't shoot worth a crap. BCA is a No go for me, went through three barrels and never got less than 1.5MOA. Other folks I know have used them and they worked OK, but I am not chancing them again. Can't go wrong with Satern, but they don't have them on the shelves a lot of the time. I usually go with a 1:8 twist on anything I am building in Grendel, simply because I know I will be primarily using 123Gr ammo, and it works well with it.
                            The last one I built was a 12.5", and it has be awesome so far.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	6D9B2E55-E5DB-4916-88EB-4D0042860A2A.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	24601231Grendelhunter.com is where I built mine and am very impressed.
                              Last edited by offshore2005; 12-13-2019, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys. I received the rest of the parts for the upper minus the backordered bcg. I am now looking for glass to out up top. Any input?

Comment

Working...
                                X