Furthest confirmed kill !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leverhunter View Post
    Agree with this. At that range it's not really hunting anymore.
    And if you read my post we weren’t “hunting” we were target practicing just so happen a target with four legs and delicious back strap stepped out.

Comment

I don’t know how I missed this party. I’ll get in on it to give the haters a little more fuel. I’ve made several long range kills on deer here at the house. Long range to me is something over 500yds. I have my own 1,100 yard range here at home that I practice on. I have steel starting at 400yds out to 1,086yds. Two years ago I was up at the range verifying dope on a rifle because I had a club match the next morning. I had a 12” circle up at 950yds. I had fired 3 rounds at it, missing the first just off the right side, then connected on the next 2 shots for center impacts. (I had also made 3 shots and 3 impacts at 500yds as well just prior to this). I was done shooting at that point. As I was about to get up, my girl that was on glass said “a deer just walked out where you were shooting”. I got back on the rifle and he had stepped out into the shooting range literally just behind the 950yd plate. I still had the elevation dialed and I knew what the wind was. As soon as he cleared the plate rack, I sent it to him. He kicked high and hard in the back end and had that head down low run when he took off. We drove the Ranger down there and I found blood where he went into the woods. I had to track him about 250yds from point of impact. Shot was right behind the shoulder, maybe a 1/2” lower than what would have been considered ideal. To all the people that want to say this is luck or unpredictable shooting, to that I will say I shoot 3,000-4500 center fire rifle rounds per year. This is all precision rifle in 6mm and 6.5mm. Not pistol or AR15 stuff. I was extremely confident in that shot before I pulled the trigger. My rifle, my ammo, my range, and a warmed up shooter with solid dope.
      Everyone has certain things they don’t care for when it comes to this type of stuff. A lot of people don’t like long range hunting. Some are ill informed. Some are jealous. Some are just buttheads that want to watch the world burn. Myself, I don’t like hunting with dogs. I don’t like lion hunting. I’m getting to where I don’t like bear hunting. We all have our dislikes. To each their own.

*** I also have a confirmed kill on a turkey at 775yds. There were atleast 8 witnesses there for that one. I was given a bet that “I couldn’t hit that turkey on the first shot”. Well.....no way in hell I was going to let that go unanswered. Again, this was on a private range that I was very familiar with. I had already fired probably 20-25 rounds on steel just prior to shooting the turkey. There was little question in my mind that I was going to hit him. Him moving during bullet time of flight was the only real concern.
      Last edited by Trevor73402; 01-16-2019, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hoyt21 View Post
        Care to elaborate as to why this makes you cringe ?
        Absolutely.

The fact that he used a caliber that he even states is "pushing the limits" is, in my mind, absurb. He had to go cut the throat of the deer because it didnt do enough damage. I understand that still happens with other calibers, but ita really not an argument.

I'm not saying he didnt have good intentions in mind and in the end the deer died, probably about as quick as a death by arrow, but dang lol.

It was just for fun, don't deny it. Just dont. You look silly if you say otherwise. And taking a pop at an animal with a gun that may not be lethal at that distance is just plain sketchy.

But congrats on the kill. You're pretty much like everyone of my friends lol. Hard getting through to people.

Comment

Btw, i have nothing against long range hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
            He’s always trying to hammer on long range shooting. As are several others. Just because they can’t do it, they think nobody can. A bunch of bow hunters, most of which rarely kill anything with any weapon, and a bunch that need tracking dogs, want to hammer on a guy who practices with hundreds of shots, knows his equipment inside and out, knows wind calls, elevation, pressures, humidity, etc. to make a long distance shot. Flinging an arrow out of a bow that someone else tuned or isn’t tuned at all, with a broad head they didn’t tune to the bow....likely shot field tips and screwed on a broad head that “shoots like a field tip”. Shot a few arrows the week before season and went hunting. Called a tracking dog after letting the deer lay for 12+ hours in Texas in October. Yeah. Let’s hammer a gun hunter about ethics!! Hammer a guy that knows more about his weapon of choice than you do....some don’t and won’t get it.

Good shooting brother. Congrats on the doe!!
            I agree with the logic presented here. But it's a bit off. So in order for me to be against someone shoting long distance with a caliber that could be argued as "insufficient" i first need to acknowledge that bowhunters have just as many mishaps.?

Comment

Originally posted by castlegaphunter View Post
              I agree with the logic presented here. But it's a bit off. So in order for me to be against someone shoting long distance with a caliber that could be argued as "insufficient" i first need to acknowledge that bowhunters have just as many mishaps.?
              It’s off in your opinion. Not mine. I don’t care about your opinion anymore than you care about mine.

Just let folks do what they please. It’s legal. You do you.

Comment

It’s off in your opinion. Not mine. I don’t care about your opinion anymore than you care about mine.

Just let folks do what they please. It’s legal. You do you.
                There is a big difference between legal and ethical. A 790 yard shot with a marginal deer caliber that didn't really work that well pushes the ethics part.

Comment

Good shooting Op ! I am also into long range shooting , keep on sending !

Comment

There is a big difference between legal and ethical. A 790 yard shot with a marginal deer caliber that didn't really work that well pushes the ethics part.
                    I guess to be ethical he should’ve let it slowly bleed out like a bow hunter

Comment

You missed the part that says I shot. Got out of the high blind we were shooting from and drove straight over there. We couldn’t give her 20-30 mins cause we had Nilgai being delivered. If I would of waited then went. She prolly would of been stiff already. I’d take the shot again.

Comment

Originally posted by castlegaphunter View Post
                        Absolutely.

The fact that he used a caliber that he even states is "pushing the limits" is, in my mind, absurb. He had to go cut the throat of the deer because it didnt do enough damage. I understand that still happens with other calibers, but ita really not an argument.

I'm not saying he didnt have good intentions in mind and in the end the deer died, probably about as quick as a death by arrow, but dang lol.

It was just for fun, don't deny it. Just dont. You look silly if you say otherwise. And taking a pop at an animal with a gun that may not be lethal at that distance is just plain sketchy.

But congrats on the kill. You're pretty much like everyone of my friends lol. Hard getting through to people.

Oh trust me we were having fun.

Comment

Originally posted by hoyt21 View Post
                          You missed the part that says I shot. Got out of the high blind we were shooting from and drove straight over there. We couldn’t give her 20-30 mins cause we had Nilgai being delivered. If I would of waited then went. She prolly would of been stiff already. I’d take the shot again.
                          No, I didn't miss that part. My point is it was a long shot with a marginal caliber for deer. Even with a more suitable caliber the time from trigger pull to impact gives the deer too much time to move and turn a perfect shot into a gut shot.

Comment

Good thing he didn’t ask for your approval then

Comment

He’s always trying to hammer on long range shooting. As are several others. Just because they can’t do it, they think nobody can. A bunch of bow hunters, most of which rarely kill anything with any weapon, and a bunch that need tracking dogs, want to hammer on a guy who practices with hundreds of shots, knows his equipment inside and out, knows wind calls, elevation, pressures, humidity, etc. to make a long distance shot. Flinging an arrow out of a bow that someone else tuned or isn’t tuned at all, with a broad head they didn’t tune to the bow....likely shot field tips and screwed on a broad head that “shoots like a field tip”. Shot a few arrows the week before season and went hunting. Called a tracking dog after letting the deer lay for 12+ hours in Texas in October. Yeah. Let’s hammer a gun hunter about ethics!! Hammer a guy that knows more about his weapon of choice than you do....some don’t and won’t get it.

Good shooting brother. Congrats on the doe!!
                              Well said.

Comment

This thread really saddens me. I'd always had a higher opinion of the greenscreen...

Some of you folks just ain't happy unless you're lookin' down on someone...

Comment

Working...
                                X