Big Lake Bottom WMA E-Postcard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hank Hill View Post
    I'm betting the requirement to buy an APH is going to make for a greater turnout.

It’s possible!!! We’ll see when the hunts get here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

for some reason I always thought this WMA was next to Richland Creek WMA, assuming it part of the bottom land below RC Lake ... guess it is but farther down the pike.
      Anyway, a lot of deer in that country and some nice ones too. Don't worry about people talking about flooding, that land down there floods often and the deer come right back.
      Good luck on your hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank Hill View Post
        I got drawn for the 2nd year in a row, this time the first week of November. As others have said above the TPWD staff are very accommodating and they will help you out with any specific questions or requests you may have. The TPWD team has done a tremendous job clearing up roads, as long as it hasn't rained you can traverse most anywhere with a 4x4 truck. If its wet at all, however, you're going to either need an ATV or hoof it.

Last year I was drawn for the first (adult) hunt - starting last week of September and it was a tough row. The bucks weren't rutting and if you wanted to get on them you'd have needed be doing your due diligence ahead of time. The WMA is open year round (with exception of hunt weekends) and I'd highly recommend scouting in advance.

In addition to that - a tree stand is an absolute must-have. There are also a couple of functioning old tower stands nestled away there, that were leftover from when it was private property. Also, as stated above, a thermacell is a mandatory piece of equipment. If you want to stick some pigs while you're out there the West line of the property is covered up in them - but they can be found all over.

Last tidbit - they allow baiting, but dont waste your time hauling a bag of corn out there, they're too used to eating the all the acorns that are available. I did bring a ziploc of corn to toss under my stand, in hopes that it might get something to pause for a second while it was passing by but nothing ever came of it.

Good luck on your hunt, you'll have cell service so post some pics when you get out there!

I was selected for the same time frame also... 11/2-11/11.
        I will be traveling solo... Shoot me a PM if you want to link up. It will be my first time out there.

Comment

Originally posted by jdunn6092 View Post
          It just depends on how many people show up. If everyone shows up then they have to do compartments.

I got selected for these dates as well 11/16-25th. Probably camp a couple days.

Comment

I drew 9/28-10/7 as well! Right now I am planning on hiking it from the parking lot as I do not have access to an ATV at the moment. Does anyone know how feasible it will be with gear + tree stand?

Comment

I have done the regular draw hunt at big lake twice. I guess it has been 2 years since I did it. I'm not sure if they went to all e-postcard hunts now or if the regular draw hunts still exist there. Looks like you get about twice as long with the post card hunts. That will be nice. Most people will only hunt a few days.

On the draw hunts i attended there, yes there are compartments. 6 of them to be specific. Pre-scouting would be a great idea if they don't do compartments. However no one tends to have a compartment preference unless they do not have an atv. You can request a certain compartment usually. With the 10 day hunt windows, pre scouting is not as critical.

There are only 2 access points to this unit, so your options will be limited to how far you are willing to walk if you do not have a 4x4 or atv. Every year I was there it was super muddy gumbo. ATV was a must. But yes you could kill deer by walking in.

I have not hunted there since the big flood but before it, deer numbers were excellent. However, it is still bow hunting. You still have to know what you are doing. Most people will not take a deer on that hunt using archery equipment. There is practically no underbrush. Visibility is quite good in lots of areas. What makes the hunting hard is the fact that it is 4000 acres that is almost all the same. All flat ground with mature hardwoods. All the same does not go well with getting deer to walk by your tree. You are going to have to find something to funnel them. Ditches, strips of heavy brush, etc. Don't expect to spot these features off of your 4x4.

I totally disagree with the comments to not bother with corn. But corn is not magic. However, if you put it where they already want to be, they will certainly find it and eat it. Just don't expect to have success just because you dumped some corn out. It needs to be a good spot that you added corn to.

My first year there I back strapped a 120ish 8 point with my recurve because I suck at life. The next year I killed a doe with it. I would have likely taken multiple deer both years if I had been hunting with the compound back then. I was still to hard headed then though.

The "camping area" there sucks a lot. It is a parking lot with no shade or bathroom unless they have added one since. You'd have to drive about a mile just to get to woods you could poop in.

Comment

Yes I’ll be camping out there going down this weekend to do my walk a bout

Comment

Originally posted by JWeaver2 View Post
                  I got selected for these dates as well 11/16-25th. Probably camp a couple days.

Sweet. I’ll see you there. I will probably sleep in my truck......maybe a tent

Comment

Any updates from the guys that were out there this weekend? How wet is it? Did enough guys show up that compartments were chosen?

Comment

No compartments, water run off from lake water is rising on the westside. STRONG ATV RECOMMEND!

Comment

Originally posted by HuntorFish View Post
                        Any updates from the guys that were out there this weekend? How wet is it? Did enough guys show up that compartments were chosen?
                        I left there today after hunting the weekend, lots of water but not as bad as I expected, the deer were there just alittle tough to find. I didn’t get a shot but saw several. No compartments were assigned so that was nice. Definitely bring an atv if you have one because the roads are sloppy after the weekend

Comment

Following

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I got a tag for Nov 30 - Dec 9. First time hopefully it dries up

Sent from my LG-H740 using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, didn`t hear much from the first hunt. Headed out in the morning for the second group, hope I get lucky

Comment

I was informed there were a couple deer harvested, and a couple not recovered. Let us know the conditions out there, Phillip

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X