Roof leak problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roof leak problem

We built our house 11 years ago and recently discovered a leak from a pipe jack through the roof.

We have a Mueller Metal roof that was installed by a sub contractor. Upon discovering the leak, we contacted the insurance company, got an adjuster out who said within minutes that the roof was not properly installed around the pipe jacks (see pics below). The photos were taken with my friend's drone. While we can caulk it, we have a bigger problem with the improper installation. (In case you need help seeing it - the roof should overlap the high side of the pipe jack.)

Fortunately, it was properly installed around the chimney. (last photo)

I noticed this almost right of the bat when it was built but I thought the contractor knew what he was doing and everything would be ok, but in the back of my mind I was worried the day was coming that we would find leaks. I have 5 pipe jacks that need to be addressed.

I'm not sure how to proceed with this or who to call. This is obviously not a job I want to even think about fixing myself. I'm looking for plausible solutions.
    Attached Files

Get you a bucket of black jack and fix it if the installer didn't give you a 10 or 20 year warranty.

Comment

Can you get a piece of matching metal and overlap the top and tuck under the ridge cap? After lookin again that might only work with the one closest to the top

Comment

That is not good, can you reach out to the sub contractor, assuming he is still in business, and ask him to correct it. If not, I would contact some roofing companies and and ask them to give you a quote on the cost to correct the issues.

Comment

If you have to fix it yourself don't use the black crap. Thru The Roof is 10 times as good a product.

Comment

They need to use the correct type of roof flashings. Those flashing are for shingle roofs.

Comment

There is a product called:

''Through The Roof"
              It can be purchased at a hardware store. True Value or an Ace.

Its the best thing I have ever found for metal roof leaks.
              It will seal holes up to about 1/4".
              For larger holes or for "peace of mind", you can apply silver AC duct tape over the seams or holes and then brush it.

@ 11 years in on the existing attachment screws and substructure, you run the risk of doing more damage and creating additional issues trying to "redo it 'correctly' ".
              Last edited by Light 1867; 01-24-2023, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                If you have to fix it yourself don't use the black crap. Thru The Roof is 10 times as good a product.
                This right here. Get "through the roof" get up there and slather it on.

Be VERY careful though those dusty old metal roofs will knock you off quick if not paying attention if it is a decent pitch. Use the screws to give you grip.

Shop Sashco Through the Roof 1-quart Clear Paintable Solvent Caulk in the Caulk department at Lowe's.com. For roofers and contractors who need a sealant that works in wet conditions, Through the Roof! is a co-polymer rubber elastomeric sealant that allows them to

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

Consider using a Dektite Flashing. It is designed to install on top of a metal roof, then seal up.

I have a spare 8" one, that I bought by mistake, if you think you can use it.

Comment

I would say the adjuster is wrong. I have put on hundreds of metal roofs. The problem is the roof jack. But the one there will work.

Run a bead of NP1, place roof jack, then run in lap screws.

the chimney is different due to it being a different type of roof penetration.

After 11 years it is feasible that the caulk has dried out depending on what was used.

I would chalk this up as a typical owning the home maintenance issue

Comment

Originally posted by ramrod View Post
                      They need to use the correct type of roof flashings. Those flashing are for shingle roofs.
                      thats what Id say but Im not a roofer. Caulk and self tappers seem like a half *** hack job to me

Comment

Have someone install the " correct " Dek-tite flashing. Disregard all the suggestions to recaulk or slather some miracle goop, nothing is going to stick to lead.
                        It doesn't look like they screwed the lead flashing down which should make the lead flashing easier to remove. Hopefully they used clear silicone under the lead and it won't show up too bad when you remove it.

Comment

I'd recommend getting with Chuy here on TBH and getting him to fix it. I trust him and he just cranked up his own roofing company.

Comment

I was thinking that, too, Kevin, but Cameron may be a bit out of his reach.

Perhaps I was not clear in my first post:

There is NO way I'm climbing on that roof for any reason at any time to do anything!

The pitch is a 12.

Comment

Did the adjuster deny your claim or just let you know the roof jack was not installed correctly?

Comment

Working...
                              X