Percussion cap muzzleloaders for deer/hogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Percussion cap muzzleloaders for deer/hogs

I have a Hawken 50 cal that I mail-ordered from Cabelas 6 or 7 years ago, and considering the new muzzleloader season in east Texas, I would like to try and tag a doe or a pig with it this year. I haven't shot it since I bought it, and I can't remember how much pyrodex to use with patch/ball and with sabot bullets. Recommendations? Shots will be close; no more than 40 yards.

Thanks.

I would start with 80 and work a load from there.

Comment

I would shoot lose powder and start at about 70 grs. I've had pretty good luck with the Power belt bullets aerotip 295 gr. I have also shot Hornady 240 gr PA conical.

Comment

The only way to find out what load it likes is to take it to a range and shoot it.

I have found it is much easier to pattern sabots as everything tends to be more consistent. Start with 50 grains of power at 50 yards and go up from there.

Comment

yep. start in the 50 grain range. see if you can pattern. then step up from there.

Comment

I would sure suggest that you stay away from sabots and other bullets with plastic for the side lock Hawken. The reason I have found is that some of the plastic will remain in the barrel and will hold powder residue and cause deterioration of your barrel.
            Common cleaning methods that I am aware of will not remove the plastic and it is very hard to tell if it is clean.

I have one that I use lubed, cloth patched round balls in with a light load of around 50 grains of 3F powder or equivalent, so that it doesn't jump the relatively fast rifling of the barrel (I think a 1:48 twist). All you need to do is to ventilate both lungs, and a round ball will do that easily at 40 yards.

If you lube the patch all that will contact the bore is the lubed cloth patch and it will be real easy to clean....learn how to clean them because if you don't, or wait too long, it will ruin the barrel within a day or so.

Comment

Do patch/roundball. It's totally fun and exciting to do it that way. I was shooting 85-grains when I had mine, pouring lead and making my own RB's and cutting patches.

Comment

It really depends on what your gun is rifled for
                1-28 is really good with bullets but won't shoot round balls at all
                1-48 ( most common) will shoot either but not really good with either.
                With patched round balls you need to keep your loads around 50 grains with maybe 70 as a max or it will strip the patch off the ball

1-70 is made for round balls. I use 120 grains of FF in my .54 with a patched round ball

Have fun with it and be sure to clean it well every time you shoot it
                black powder will eat a barrel up in a hurry

Comment

This is what I used in my Hawken. Use T/C Bore Butter to prevent corrosion after you clean it up. I think I used 120 gr. FFG also, at least that's what my powder measure is set at. I was going to say start at 90gr and work up, but I looked at my measure. That's a max load, so be your own judge.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Drycreek3189; 11-14-2016, 05:29 PM.

Comment

It's not the same but the hornady sabots shot best out of my tc renegade. I dont remember what grain but I was using 90grs of pyrodex. That wasn't legal in Colorado so now I'm shooting powerbelts and Blackhorn powder out of an inline. I cant see going back but it was fun.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3535.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	24472353

Comment

Thanks y'all.

Comment

I have tried ole eyesford black powder ffg (90gr) and either the 240 grain xtp and the 320 maxi in my .50. I use my .54 more.

Comment

Bumping this for the upcoming muzzleloader season. Good luck y’all!

Comment

Working on an unfinished flintlock kit as we speak for next muzzle loader season.

Learning tons.

Comment

I have already knocked down 2 deer and a hog this season with my October country .54
                              I hope to whack a couple of does this week after work with my .69

Name:	59640907639__AC32FC8C-0634-43BC-A475-5FA392AF40A1.JPG
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	24604284

Name:	IMG_3811.jpg
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	24604285

Name:	IMG_3804.jpg