No announcement yet.

Africa vs Texas -Something to think about

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rlander when you put it that way its a no brainer. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
      Their work, anatomical accuracy of manikins and tanning chemicals and techniques are sub par at best. More like sub standard.
      This sacrifice plus what you will pay for the shipping of "mounted animals", vs skulls and skins, you are not saving much money if any...
      I have argued this point many, many times over the years and have yet to be proven wrong... Not once..
      You can find good plumbers and electricians as well as bad all over the world. You can not group the quality of work for everyone in a country because of a bad experience with one. Splitting Image is in SA and they did my Cape better than most I have ever seen. They see these animals more than taxis in the states so they can capture them better in my opinion. I have a good taxi here too though and have my last safari with them. The Outpost in Denton.

Comment

I am another one that will choose Africa. I want to go back. I don't even know what I want to shoot, but it is just cool.

Comment

I never really had much interest in going to Africa in the past but over the last few years I have kinda thought about it some Not really a burning desire to do, more of that might be pretty cool but I always thought it would be something that wasn't affordable as I have never really looked into. The info the OP put together is very informative.

Comment

Awesome comparison.

Comment

I'm going. My wife and 7 year old son are going with me as well. We are trying to hammer down dates right now. From the guys that have gone, when is the best time to bow hunt over there? We are also going to stay a little longer to go to Kruger National Park.

Things on the list are Kudu, Zebra, Impala, Warthog and maybe a few others is I can save up the cash be fore we fly out. For the experience and the price you cant beat it. I can't wait.

Comment

Trying to compare Africa hunting to Texas is like trying to compare an apple to a tomato. Both are red on the outside, but once you cut in to them these is no likeness.

Comment

Originally posted by Ten Ring View Post
                  I'm going. My wife and 7 year old son are going with me as well. We are trying to hammer down dates right now. From the guys that have gone, when is the best time to bow hunt over there? We are also going to stay a little longer to go to Kruger National Park.

Things on the list are Kudu, Zebra, Impala, Warthog and maybe a few others is I can save up the cash be fore we fly out. For the experience and the price you cant beat it. I can't wait.
                  I've been in mid May and lots of green still, but many animals rutting. I was successful and enjoyed it. 2nd trip was in mid June. Dryer, end of some rutting, very successful. last 2 trips were in July. Very successful. Any time during the season is great. I have heard that late in the season, Late Sept, Aug, the bugs are pretty bad, but I've never been during that time so don't have any first hand knowledge.

Comment

I notice most of the posters that have been mentioned South Africa. I've been there once and won't go back. Sure it was fun, people nice, food good but.....in no way does South Africa compare to Zimbabwe or Botswana. Now I know all the South Africa operators are getting their shorts in a pinch but I will stand by my opinion and everybody has that right. Until you've been charged by an elephant, heard a WILD lion roar outside your tent, leopard rasping at midnight and had real cape buffalo that weren't raised in a pen to be released barrel by you at a few feet, you simply have missed the real purpose of hunting Africa.
                    As Buff stated in an earlier thread, the first sight and smell of REAL Africa will never leave you till the day you die. Best money I've ever spent.
                    Let the bullets fly!

Comment

Originally posted by Hombre View Post
                      I notice most of the posters that have been mentioned South Africa. I've been there once and won't go back. Sure it was fun, people nice, food good but.....in no way does South Africa compare to Zimbabwe or Botswana. Now I know all the South Africa operators are getting their shorts in a pinch but I will stand by my opinion and everybody has that right. Until you've been charged by an elephant, heard a WILD lion roar outside your tent, leopard rasping at midnight and had real cape buffalo that weren't raised in a pen to be released barrel by you at a few feet, you simply have missed the real purpose of hunting Africa.
                      As Buff stated in an earlier thread, the first sight and smell of REAL Africa will never leave you till the day you die. Best money I've ever spent.
                      Let the bullets fly!
                      I agree with most of this, I think the best part of SA is the Eastern Cape. Zim is amazing but not as safe and if you are traveling by vehicle, prepare to get hustled at the border crossing. I also agree that Botswana is amazing but you can not hunt there at the moment unless you have a friend there with a private farm, all other hunting is closed but this should be changing soon.

Comment

It aint for everyone for sure...…...either the flight, the perceived costs, the meat, etc. The flight can always be broken up into more segments, which can actually save you money.....or upgrade to the next cabin which is worth every copper penny. The perceived costs of the trip have been debunked dozens of time on TBH and anywhere else hunting is talked about or viewed. Yep, meat cannot be brought back into the country but that holds true for 99% of international travel. Ask my wife about her cheese from France.....lol!!! I eat plenty of what I thwack on these trips and having the opportunity to DONATE it is a incredible experience. Heck, I donate most of what I thwack in Texas, Louisiana or anywhere else I hunt in the U.S. boundaries! For me it is ALL about the experience of meeting folks from other cultures. I cannot say I have ever had regret from bouncing around the globe hunting, and it just gets better when my girls travel with me. It is wonderful to know that folks that don't happen to live on this continent really want the same basic things that any of us want for our families. Way more in common than differences!!!!

Comment

I surely thought that I would get home sick from being gone for 2 weeks. Didn't miss home a bit. It is addicting and we are already saving to go back. The long flights are not fun, but being in a bush camp for 2 weeks really makes up for it for me.

The only animal I would shoot here would be an Eland for the meat. Eland tenderloin was delicious.

Comment

Originally posted by Hombre View Post
                            Let the bullets fly!
                            You sound like a man up for an adventure,Have you tried the Congo or Uganda?

Comment

Five trips, to Namibia, Zimbabwe, and South Africa. Nothing like it anywhere and must be experienced at least once in your life. Have taken elephant, buffalo, leopard on foot with hounds, and most of the PG available in the various countries. Have a couple bucket list animals still to go and just keep planning a way to get back.

Comment

Uganda was high on my list to hunt those monster buffalo but my contact there got run out. Ethiopia is a front runner for the east African plains game. Nine trips and I still get excited as a 10 year old kid on his first deer hunt.
                                I've had several friends go with me and they all said they knew they would get homesick after a few days. All said it was the only trip they had been on where they had no desire to return home. One friend told me he never missed his wife one time and we were there 21 days. I did notice he was watching the housekeeper awful close on about day 14. lol
                                I made good friend on my one hunt to south Africa but when you compare to zim or Botswana, it's apples to oranges. Hope I didn't hurt anyone's feeling. If you liked south Africa, you owe it to yourself to make a trip to zim or better, Botswana when they open up maybe next year.

Comment

Working...
                                X