No announcement yet.

Africa vs Texas -Something to think about

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heading to Namibia in 11 days. I can't wait!

Comment

Great analysis!

Comment

The experience of hunting Africa is exactly that. And while me you may be able to target the same species stateside I think most that have been will tell you it is an experience unique to itself. Personally it seems kinda silly to me to be like “here is my Wildebeest, I shot it in Leakey Texas”.... but that’s just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
          Personally it seems kinda silly to me to be like “here is my Wildebeest, I shot it in Leakey Texas”.... but that’s just me.

This ^^^^ was exactly how I feel. Your buddies come over and see these African mounts on your wall. "Oh, you went to Africa?"

"No I killed all these in a weekend an hour from here."

Comment

I am an old man who has hunted all over the world for most everything walking. That said, there is no place like Africa.
            It has been 30 years since my first trip over there but I can still remember what the air smelled like that first morning standing on the porch with my recurve in my hand waiting on the sun to come up.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
              I am an old man who has hunted all over the world for most everything walking. That said, there is no place like Africa.
              It has been 30 years since my first trip over there but I can still remember what the air smelled like that first morning standing on the porch with my recurve in my hand waiting on the sun to come up.
              I can remember what that long plane ride smelled like. To each their own. Three years in that crap hole. I'll stay in Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                What outfit did you hunt with?

we hunted in Limpopo....I will say the Sable prices are coming down.

And i'm not familiar with the Cape Kudu.....We hunted the Southern Greater Kudu.

But yes, a Sable certainly is more within reach than a few years ago
                Beyond Horizon Safaris, bunted with them in 17 and again this year, they were referred to me by the late Ed Phillips and they have been great, hunted outside of Port Elizabeth in 17 and Bloemfontein this trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post

This ^^^^^ I hope to experience someday

Comment

No way I would pay the money to shoot Africa animals in Texas.. 18 hours of flying is well worth the experience..

Comment

I want to do it real bad. For someone that isn’t just the biggest fan of planes to begin with, 20 hours seems a tad long.

Comment

Ambien and bourbon make short work of the flight...

Comment

I haven't read all of the posts, so it may have already been said, but if you want to really throw it out of kilter add a KUDU in there.. $15,000-$18,000(or more) here and $2,500-$5,000 there..

Give me Africa, all day, everyday.....

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter Dan View Post
                            You have to pay taxi if you shoot in Texas or SA, difference is you can do taxi in SA much cheaper if you choose. I had my Cape done in SA, they did a great job and at prices much less than US.
                            Their work, anatomical accuracy of manikins and tanning chemicals and techniques are sub par at best. More like sub standard.
                            This sacrifice plus what you will pay for the shipping of "mounted animals", vs skulls and skins, you are not saving much money if any...
                            I have argued this point many, many times over the years and have yet to be proven wrong... Not once..

Comment

I went in 18. I had a lot of questions since I am a meat before trophy guy. Finding out the outfitter serves wild game the majority of meals.. then donates the remainder of the meat to local churches.. made it an easier decision.

I would not have hunted the animals in Texas as they were way above what I could afford.. my package(5 animals) was cheaper than the cost here for the one animal I wanted.(Gemsbock)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                                Their work, anatomical accuracy of manikins and tanning chemicals and techniques are sub par at best. More like sub standard.
                                This sacrifice plus what you will pay for the shipping of "mounted animals", vs skulls and skins, you are not saving much money if any...
                                I have argued this point many, many times over the years and have yet to be proven wrong... Not once..
                                I did not find this to be the case, I have toured Splitting Image Taxidermy Studios in Port Elizabeth twice, I would say their work is some of the best I have ever seen. They also have a shop in the Houston area I believe. I ran the cost of having the Taxidermy work done there and having them ship the capes and Horns to my guys in the states, very little difference in cost, what you spend extra in freight for shipping the mounts you save on dip and pack fees. The down side of having them done here is time, I believe your crates would arrive in the states in about the same amount of time either way, if they ship hides and horns you still have to go through the waiting time for the taxi work to be done in the states before your mounts are home. Having said all that I had my work done at home because of my relationship with my local taxidermist, had I not been friends with the folks at Southern Wings in Huntsville I would have had the work done in SA.

Comment

Working...
                                X