Aborted road rage incident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aborted road rage incident

The wife and I were driving to meet with a few members of the local ham radio club, like some Tuesdays a few meet at random local restaurants for an after
    "net' meal.
    After turning right on I635 service road and about the point I am in front of N. Mesquite high sch. I hear someone honking. I an in the far right lane doing about 35mph, and I see a car in my rear view pull out from behind me and fly around me giving me all sorts of hand signals, and pulling in front of me and brake checking. I pretty much lust ignore it while keeping an eye on him. We pull up to the next red light and it is backed up, so he pulls into the parking lot. I assume since he was in such a hurry that he was cutting through to avoid the red light. Well, that was the parking lot where my destination was at, the local Firehouse subs. So I pull in behind him and follow him as there were no parking spots next to the sub shop. He takes 2 tries to get in a parking spot and I drop in to the end space which is a handicap space. The wife is worried and asking me what I am going to do, and I told her "nothing, we are going to eat". So I pull my shirt out from my concealed pistol, making it plainly visible, and we get out of the car and walk over to the entrance where a couple of friends are eating outside, and talk to them for a minute. After about 45 seconds he pulls out of the parking spot and goes around the building the opposite way we are standing at. When we got out of our car, I didn't even look his way, but kept his car in my peripheral vision.

Now, I have no idea his intent when he parked in the parking lot. But on a couple of occasions in my life when I have gotten out of my wife's car guys that were running their mouths have calmed down some. I am not sure why as I am not a big guy, but not small either, as I was 6 ft before the back surgery I had this spring, seems I am nearly an inch and a half shorter now, and I weigh 210 lbs.

Now, why are people so rude, and in such a big hurry while driving. I try to overlook the stupid things people do, and don't honk at them when they do them.
    I understand that you are very important and I should just pull over and get out of your way (insert sarcasm emoji here), and I would never initiate a confrontation with someone on the road. But, I am partially disabled and I don't want to take any crap from anybody either.

Anyway, I hope I handled this the best way I could without running away, but also not escalating the situation.

Sweet

Comment

Man that could have gotten really ugly, good thing it didn't but would it really be worth it just to go to the restaurant you wanted to?

Comment

I see this a lot. People are WOUND too tight. So many get behind the wheel and become 7' tall and bulletproof! And I'm including some women!

No TBH sticker, right? Just making sure as I'm convinced we have a few of those types on here from time to time. They post on the driving threads.

Comment

i think you played it perfectly. on the Defense is all you did and should do. like you said you let him know without words you were legally carrying so there is not interpitation for a "threat" being said. you never looked at him directly which cut out any chance of you "staring" him down. but you kept an eye on him so that if self defense was needed you were ready. i would have done it the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post
            I see this a lot. People are WOUND too tight. So many get behind the wheel and become 7' tall and bulletproof! And I'm including some women!
            Yup, I almost wish we could have concentr...I mean re-education camps for folks who act like that. lol

Comment

So getting Out of your car with your Pistol Exposed was the Right Thing to Do at that Point?

Comment

Originally posted by Mex. Bowhunter View Post
                So getting Out of your car with your Pistol Exposed was the Right Thing to Do at that Point?
                Is it not? What is the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Mex. Bowhunter View Post
                  Sometimes (almost always) the best thing to do is to just keep on movin' on...

Comment

You did good. Always handle things professionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                      Is it not? What is the problem?
                      Perfectly legal as well.

Comment

Did that guy act like that with your disabled tags visible?? If so...wow.

If you hang it up & not on your plates whenever you park, then him seeing you pull into disabled parking likely de-escalated it some...if he was half a decent person anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                          Sometimes (almost always) the best thing to do is to just keep on movin' on...
                          Do you mean that the OP should not have went to the eating location of his choice just because there could have been an altercation with the road rage driver?

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
                            Do you mean that the OP should not have went to the eating location of his choice just because there could have been an altercation with the road rage driver?
                            In this situation, moving on would have been the choice with the least likelihood of an outcome that would have been very much not in his best interest.

All's well that ends well though, although this could have ended up very bad for everyone involved, and could have been spun very, very bad for the OP if the situation had escalated.

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post

No TBH sticker, right? Just making sure as I'm convinced we have a few of those types on here from time to time. They post on the driving threads.
                              And you would be correct on all accounts, sir.

Comment

Working...
                              X