Strategy for Antler/deer growth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strategy for Antler/deer growth

What are some of y'alls recommendations for increasing antler growth? I believe now is the time to start really feeding for antler growth am I right?

I have a buddy who is suggesting soy beans mixed in with my deer corn. Also putting some mineral licks out for them. Does that sound like a good approach?

Range conditions and age are the only real factors that will move the ball from a herd standpoint.

Comment

Double Down close thread 😉

Comment

Cotton seed and some sort of protein pellet is definitely a must . Mix corn with the protein at first if you haven’t ever fed it . To get them on it . I tried the corn mixed will cotton seed that they started selling they make a licorice are persimmon flavored and the deer hammered it .I don’t really know how much cotton seed they actually ate because there was a lot scattered on the ground but they had to eat some of it .

Comment

Feed all you can afford and do it year round ! At least January through September. Just because their growing now doesn't mean they didn't need it the last 4 or 5 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntingobsession View Post
            Feed all you can afford and do it year round ! At least January through September. Just because their growing now doesn't mean they didn't need it the last 4 or 5 months.
            This

Comment

Age and range.

I’ve never understood feeding protein to grow bone. I thought calcium was for healthy bone, protein was for muscle. All these body builders wanting to build muscle mass take in mass quantities of protein... to build muscle. How is feeding protein growing bigger bone antlers? I’ve read where all the nutrients taken in by a deer before the age of 4 go to muscle mass.

If we want to grow bone, why aren’t we feeding calcium???

Comment

Yep, feed as much as you can. If you get them on the protein in January, their bodies start to recover and gain weight more quickly--which results in them being able to direct energy towards antler growth sooner.

Comment

I'm really excited about this year's antler growth. Due to the last few years of constant protein combined with great range conditions, all our bucks look amazing as far as body composition goes. That should pour over to antlers this year. We shall see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter View Post
                    Age and range.

I’ve never understood feeding protein to grow bone. I thought calcium was for healthy bone, protein was for muscle. All these body builders wanting to build muscle mass take in mass quantities of protein... to build muscle. How is feeding protein growing bigger bone antlers? I’ve read where all the nutrients taken in by a deer before the age of 4 go to muscle mass.

If we want to grow bone, why aren’t we feeding calcium???
                    Not sure of the source, but I can try to find it, but there was a study where mineral supplementation (calcium and Phosphorous) was supplemented to pen deer and no noticeable growth increase in antlers was present, but protein supplementation had a large impact. Something about how the protein is converted and utilized (way above my pay-grade knowledge), but it was shown how much consistent protein helps add inches as well as age being the number one factor.

That being said, I still put out salt mineral "rocks" in my feed pens on a regular basis. TSC now carries one that is half the price of the "Trophy" brand. The main reason I do this is after thousands of game cam pics I quickly noticed how much my deer lick on them. They love them, especially in the summer months. Not doing that for growth as much as I'm giving them a treat that they like and salt should increase food and water consumption.

I used to spend a lot on bags of di-calcium phosphate and mix it with mineral salt and put it in a pit in my feed pen. I just saved the money and increased my protein feed output and just went with the rocks for them to lick.
                    Last edited by TXBRASS; 05-16-2019, 04:25 PM.

Comment

TXBRASS, your post reminded me of what was talked about in a semi-recent MeatEater podcast.

They (some biologists) took multiple buck and doe mule deer fawns from 2 different areas, only a few days old. The bucks from area A typically grew to say 180# and 150" and bucks from area B typically grew into 230# bucks and 180" (I forget these exact numbers, but there was an obvious difference). These deer were raised in the exact same conditions and coincidentally grew up to be similar to their respective fathers.

They then did a test where they bred the original buck and doe fawns (now 5 or so years old) to one another- Area A does bred with Area A bucks; Area B does to Area B bucks. They raised these 'gen 2' fawns under identical conditions to one another, and how they had done in the past. Surprisingly, the 'gen 2' fawns from Area A were something like 40" and 40# larger than their dads. The 'gen 2' fawns from Area B were still around 230# and 180#/same size as their dads.

Their conclusion from this study (I think a 14 year long study) was that the size that a buck reached at maturity was directly related to how healthy his mother was while he was in the womb/how much prenatal nutrition he received.

I forget which Podcast episode it was, but in the past 10 episodes and certainly worth a listen.
                      Last edited by Patton; 05-16-2019, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys! I appreciate y'all taking the time to write some opinions. I may just stick with some protein feed mixed with my corn and some calcium licks. Anyone have an opinion on protein feed? The stuff at TSC seems to have good reviews

Comment

Originally posted by bcj jones View Post
                          Thanks for all the input guys! I appreciate y'all taking the time to write some opinions. I may just stick with some protein feed mixed with my corn and some calcium licks. Anyone have an opinion on protein feed? The stuff at TSC seems to have good reviews
                          There are numerous threads on here as to what is the "best" protein to feed but in my opinion as long as you feed any kind of protein that you can afford you are ahead of the game. The best of luck to you.

Comment

Originally posted by bcj jones View Post
                            Anyone have an opinion on protein feed? The stuff at TSC seems to have good reviews

Here’s a good read:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here’s a good podcast:
                              So you want to start a supplemental feeding program? You better listen to this episode. We again visit with deer biologist, Donnie Draeger, and discuss the pros and cons of supplemental feeding. Donnie and colleagues designed a study to determine exactly what impact a supplemental feeding program would have on antler size and body weight of free-ranging bucks. If you are

Comment

Working...
                              X