The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
    I’m pretty ignorant on it, but i don’t hear anyone ever have anything positive to say about wolves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wolves have been declared recovered by USFWS and delisted under the ESA (with the exception of Mexican Grey Wolves in New Mexico and Arizona). They are listed by the IUCN as a species of least concern. There is no scientific based reason to reintroduce wolves to Colorado. There are wolves currently in Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Oregon, Washington, and California. Some of those spread from the Yellowstone reintroductions and some walked down from Canada.

There will be wolves in Northern Colorado soon (and likely are some now) no matter what they do.

The bottom line is that whether they walk in or are reintroduced, they need to be managed heavily by the state wildlife agencies through hunting or trapping. They have no predators and will be very hard on elk, deer, and moose populations not to mention livestock.

There is also the disease issue. Wolves could aid the spread of CWD. Wolves also carry a disease called hidatid disease that can be fatal to humans. Stay away from wolf feces.

Removing the options of state wildlife managers with legislation like this is a really bad move overall. It will limit CPW's options regarding wolf management. It will cost money that is better served in some other area.
    Last edited by El General; 10-02-2019, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Montana wolf tags are $19 resident, $50 non- resident. If I take an 8 hr class I can trap on my property for a $1 tag.

Kill them all.

Comment

As I was leaving to drive 1 1/2 hours and sleep in my truck to hunt elk in the morning, the local herd came down on private land a mile from our Bozeman house. 50 yards from the road. No hunting, obviously. And they know it.

All I can do is laugh.

Comment

Ok trying to make sure i have adequate clothing for my sept hunt... here’s what i have plus a pair of prana Zion pants is this adequate for a second week of sept Colorado hunt? I also have a Kuiu rain gear set.

Comment

Ok trying to make sure i have adequate clothing for my sept hunt... here’s what i have plus a pair of prana Zion pants is this adequate for a second week of sept Colorado hunt? I also have a Kuiu rain gear set.

You should be good.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
              You should be good.
              Almost identical to what I wear. I wear the obsidian pants instead of the Prana’s and I had the Uncompaghre light puffy jacket. You should have more than enough clothes. You’re moving so much that I hardly ever wore the kiln hoody and only wore the puffy jacket at camp at night around the campfire. Even first thing in the morning as soon as I left camp I was already down to just the lightweight.

Be cold at camp in the mornings so that you are comfortable when you are moving around. If you are comfortable sitting still you will be shedding clothes minutes after you start hiking

Comment

Oops. Quoted wrong post.

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
                  Almost identical to what I wear. I wear the obsidian pants instead of the Prana’s and I had the Uncompaghre light puffy jacket. You should have more than enough clothes. You’re moving so much that I hardly ever wore the kiln hoody and only wore the puffy jacket at camp at night around the campfire. Even first thing in the morning as soon as I left camp I was already down to just the lightweight.

Be cold at camp in the mornings so that you are comfortable when you are moving around. If you are comfortable sitting still you will be shedding clothes minutes after you start hiking
                  Me too. I have a chama hoody instead of a kiln and an old predator camo adrenaline jacket for my shell, but otherwise that is my kit. I love the obsidian pants.

Comment

You may wear some of that at night but I normally wear a long sleeve tee shirt and thin pants. Shorts aren't a bad idea during the first couple of weeks of Sept.

Comment

2nd week Sept or Oct?
                      Oct can have snow.
                      Buy 3 pairs of good smart wool socks like REI.

Comment

I’m an extremely hot natured person I’m in shirt an shorts in 50° temps an shirt an pants in the 40s... i find 20s to be where i start to notice cold temps in my fingertips etc., but i know there’s different temps of cold temps so just want to be sure i have enough to stay warm enough to keep myself on the mountain side.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                          2nd week Sept or Oct?
                          Oct can have snow.
                          Buy 3 pairs of good smart wool socks like REI.

September

Comment

I’m an extremely hot natured person I’m in shirt an shorts in 50° temps an shirt an pants in the 40s... i find 20s to be where i start to notice cold temps in my fingertips etc., but i know there’s different temps of cold temps so just want to be sure i have enough to stay warm enough to keep myself on the mountain side.

I wore the boot top leggings as my underwear, obsidian pants, and lightweight shirt the vast majority of the time. As awesome as the kiln hoody is, I hardly ever wore it just due to it being too hot when I was hiking but I would absolutely still bring it in case you get a good cold snap. I also wore the kiln while sleeping. We had frost on the ground every morning for temp reference so it was chilly but not exactly cold. Plus its a dry cold so it doesnt eat through your clothes like it does in the higher humidity of Texas.

The only thing that got cold on me the entire trip were my feet while I was sleeping but that was because I was using a quilt which has a tiny opening at the bottom. I remedied this by stuffing my backup pair of socks through the hole and was good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
                              I wore the boot top leggings as my underwear, obsidian pants, and lightweight shirt the vast majority of the time. As awesome as the kiln hoody is, I hardly ever wore it just due to it being too hot when I was hiking but I would absolutely still bring it in case you get a good cold snap. I also wore the kiln while sleeping. We had frost on the ground every morning for temp reference so it was chilly but not exactly cold. Plus its a dry cold so it doesnt eat through your clothes like it does in the higher humidity of Texas.

The only thing that got cold on me the entire trip were my feet while I was sleeping but that was because I was using a quilt which has a tiny opening at the bottom. I remedied this by stuffing my backup pair of socks through the hole and was good to go.

Awesome thanks for the info [emoji1374][emoji1374] appreciate the input guys!

Comment

My buddy rob brought in the big guns [emoji23]

Comment

Working...
                                X