Cattle trailers-what do you look for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cattle trailers-what do you look for?

I am looking at a couple brands to be a dealer for. We do not have any history stocking/selling cattle trailers. What do you look for in a bumper and GN? What options are more important?
    I plan on ordering some and looking for input
    thx

I look for sliding rear gates, breathable yet good traction flooring. We don’t use any with hard tops so that if a nasty heifer turns around You have the ability to jump up and pull yourself up out of the way. No sure if that is any help? Good luck.

Comment

bulldog hitch for bumper pull

Comment

Get in touch with Dustin Watkins @ WW Trailers ion Madil Ok. Great guy. And WW’s are some of the toughest trailers on the road.

Comment

Something like this either with the canvas top or with out

Click image for larger version

Name:	9E69F292-4E16-4D14-A11F-82503335FEDF.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	24636251

Comment

^^^ yup

Comment

Sliding rear doors
              Hard top (trees limbs won't tear it)
              spare mounted on side not up on G/N.
              good durable/strong hinges and latches

Comment

I'll tell you what I look for.

6'8"-7ft wide. Channel cross members not angle iron. Enclosed nose and metal top. I want cut gates that are movable. No exposed wiring need to be hidden and in conduit. Led lights as well as loading lights inside the trailer. Epoxy paint if not aluminum. Full escape gate that is wide enough to pull a 4wheeler into the trailer. Butterfly gates in the rear and all gates need to be greasable. Cleated rubber floor with enough space to wash, drain and dry out. 2 Drop leg jacks with two-speed gearbox that cranks from the drivers side.

May not be for everyone but that's what I like.

Comment

Alot of the same points as Randy. But im a slide gate guy i hate butterflys.

I will say this my next one will have the washouts on the sides and front. This is where they stop the sheet metal and leave a 2" or so gap where you can wash it out.

Im looking for something like a Wyatt, Easley, Hughes etc.

On the lower end ive seen some trailers by Delco, BCG and Galyean that where pretty nice.

Oh also im a hard top guy i dont understand the infatuation with a canvas top.

Comment

IMO to be successful you will need a good well built economy bumper pull to represent.

Then you will need a middle of the road trailer similar to Goosnecks or lower end delcos for goosneck options. Then you will need a few premium trailers to represent as well.

Delco makes a few different levels of trailers to look at.

Comment

Washouts slots would be great but not very many cattle trailer manufacturers make trailers with them. Extra wide escape gate would be great as well. Over 6’ wide box is important for hauling cows so the can turn around. Movable cut gates are great but pricey. Just depends on what type of customer base you are going to target I guess. Every mod that is made costs and may drive customers to different dealers because they have plain Jane just cookie cutter cattle trailer

Comment

For Bumper pull for Cattle, I like 16x6x7 ft, heavy duty axles (5.2 k - 6k Lb each), good electric brakes, slide back door and full open, hard top, LED lights, heavy duty latches and quick release divider gate, E rated tires and spare would be nice. My Delco didn't come with the spare.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie2000tx View Post
                          Washouts slots would be great but not very many cattle trailer manufacturers make trailers with them. Extra wide escape gate would be great as well. Over 6’ wide box is important for hauling cows so the can turn around. Movable cut gates are great but pricey. Just depends on what type of customer base you are going to target I guess. Every mod that is made costs and may drive customers to different dealers because they have plain Jane just cookie cutter cattle trailer
                          Washout slots would be a very nice addition.

Comment

Originally posted by Fmjag64 View Post
                            Washout slots would be a very nice addition.
                            Yes every used trailer you look at are rusted at the deck because it just sits there with no way to get out

Comment

Solid Floor. Seen a Bull bust though once and the driver never knew for miles. Not pretty I tell ya.

Comment

Working...
                              X