Dad shot at a big one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dad shot at a big one

Unfortunately got this text from my dad a bit ago. I'm about to head that way to look.

He seems to think that his crossbow bolt wasn't seated and that it just stopped and fell to the ground where the deer was standing. I'm having a hard time understanding how a bolt going 350 fps has enough energy to deploy the Rage head and then just falls to the ground without penetration.

He says the arrow is clean as a whistle but blades are deployed right where deer stood. I'm about to go have a look.

I'm trying not to get frustrated but this is a great deer that I've been watching and this is the 2nd time this scenario has played out with my dad this season.
    Attached Files

Go easy on your ol man, it's just a deer that sounds like isn't even wounded. Encourage him to get back after it, life's to short.

Comment

i'm sure your dad feels worse. It happens to everybody. Hope it turns out good.

Comment

A few weeks ago a guy on our place shot a 180 inch deer. Except for a little dirt, the arrow was clean as could be. We started looking and found some blood. Put a pup on it and he went to the deer 125 yards away. The blood trail got better the further we went and he made a great shot.
        That being said, I've also seen arrows look pretty clean after passing through the intestines.

Comment

Wow

Comment

Interesting... interested in what u find

Comment

I hit a doe right in the elbow joint with a Rage and the arrow did the exact same thing. Just fell to the ground. Luckily I was able to get a second shot when she circled back on the trail.
              Wish I still had my pics on this phone.

Comment

Take it ease on the ole man... he brought you into this world and he can take you out! Ha

Good luck brotha, hope y’all find him.

Comment

If hit I hope y’all find him. Or see him again.

Comment

Whew. You’re brave!

It’s just a deer, don’t let it create an argument.

Comment

Maybe try a fixed broadhead like a Slick Trick.

Comment

The last buck I shot had a pass through that was strangely clean especially for a lung shot. Died 40 yards from where I shot him.

Hope it works out in your dads favor!

Comment

Stuff happens. Don’t ride him too hard.
                          Hope he gets another crack.

BP

Comment

Might try a fixed blade

Comment

Arrow is clean like he said. He was reluctant to go look but I wanted to see it. Found a patch of white hair where he shot. Finding small drops of blood where he last saw him. I don't know what to think about the white hair. Not sure if this has a chance at being mortal or not but I'm going to try to find a dog anyways so we can say we tried.

Comment

Working...
                              X