Pellet grille vs propane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
    For quick, everyday convenience and healthy eating.....gas grills are great.

For really good stuff......cook over hot mesquite.

Pellet grills are for liberal hipsters in skinny jeans.

Or busy people that would rather tend to their cattle, farm or hunt instead of wasting time tending a fire for hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
      As long as you do your research and are willing to spend some $$ a pellet grill will do it all.

The Pitts & Spitts pellet grills will get to 650° for searing or fast cooking pizzas and it will get down low enough to cold smoke and pretty much anything in between.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      It isn't the temp, its the indirect heat that keeps pellet smokers form being grills. Even Pitts and Spits has this issue, or they did last year when we ultimately bought our Traeger. Maybe they have invented some way of creating direct heat since then.

Now if you are throwing a cast iron pan into the smoker, letting that get to 650 (Which means taking the food that is smoking off, cranking the smoker way up for 20 min so it's hot enough, waiting for cast iron to then heat up, then yes, it can sear. But 90% of people don't do that.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntz View Post
        I have a pit boss and use it for everything. You can flame broil on it as well. Its been a great investment. You can set it and walk away instead of tending a fire. I love a real smoker but the pit boss is pretty cool
        Yep! The slide away cover on the convection tray opens up to sear over flame. Very handy. Been very pleased with it and at least half the price of some of the others.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntz View Post
          Or busy people that would rather tend to their cattle, farm or hunt instead of wasting time tending a fire for hours.

Amen.....there is always that guy in every group when it comes to pellet grills. "Real men cook with mesquite and fire" - give me a break

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
            This is the best answer. Gas is good for grilling (Searing), and pellets are good for slow cooks/smoking. Also, my Traeger doesn't put out near enough smokey flavor. I could get my old gas smoker to make a much smokier flavor. We also have a charcoal grill and Traeger.
            try covering the smoke stack with foil. I have the traeger tailgator and I block the holes on top and get a lot more smoke flavor

per the original post, I have both and use the propane for burgers chicken and anything else I want to grill. use the pellet for smoking. I do use the pellet on as hot as it gets to do some things like country ribs and they have turned out good with a little smoke flavor, but not smoked

Comment

As others mentioned, what is your priority in using it. If you do mostly burgers, hot dogs and quick foods like that a gas grill might be better. The only thing i don't like about the pellet is the preheat time. Although it isn't that bad. I have a weber q for hot dogs and burgers.

That being said I would go for a pellet grill as I use it more for steaks and such.

Comment

I have a pellet grill, propane grill and a stick burner offset. Offset is only used for parties. Propane hasn't been used in 2 years. Get a pellet grill that can hit the high temps and call it a day. I can sear a steak at over 700 or slow smoke at under 200. Cant do that on propane. It's hard to even hit 600 on a propane grill.

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
                  Pellet grill. Can’t get good smoke flavor with gas, and the pellet grill can be used without smoke so it’s pretty much a gas grill
                  This!

Comment

Stick burner unless you smoke everything. Nothing beats a mesquite charred ribeye.

Comment

How in the hell does hunting interfere with using a smoker? Lol. The pitt is always going at the lease. Much easier than grilling every meal.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                        It isn't the temp, its the indirect heat that keeps pellet smokers form being grills. Even Pitts and Spits has this issue, or they did last year when we ultimately bought our Traeger. Maybe they have invented some way of creating direct heat since then.

Now if you are throwing a cast iron pan into the smoker, letting that get to 650 (Which means taking the food that is smoking off, cranking the smoker way up for 20 min so it's hot enough, waiting for cast iron to then heat up, then yes, it can sear. But 90% of people don't do that.

The P&S has a slide over cover where you can open it up directly to the pot where the pellets are. You can get true searing with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                          The P&S has a slide over cover where you can open it up directly to the pot where the pellets are. You can get true searing with it.

I think most have this now as it was a complaint from the beginning. My pitboss does.

Comment

Originally posted by DWV015 View Post
                            Amen.....there is always that guy in every group when it comes to pellet grills. "Real men cook with mesquite and fire" - give me a break
                            There's way more than one of us. However, i don't care what you use. I chose a real pit with real wood. I have acreage and time on Sunday.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

How much do pellets cost? Is the fuel cost of a pellet smoker comparable to charcoal or propane?

I have a gas grill for burgers, a charcoal grill (Weber) for steaks and chicken, and a small vertical propane driven smoker for briskets and such. I use mesquite cut at my deer lease with the smoker.

Comment

I have a Green Mountain that I use for everything. I got rid of my propane grill after buying the Green Mountain. It cranks up to 500 degrees and with the use of grill grates you can get a great sear on steaks, chicken, pork chops or whatever else you want to grill. The grill grates are key though as they retain good heat. Much better flavor than propane grilling since you are using wood pellets. They don't add a lot when grilling but it's noticeable over propane. I also have the pizza attachment which runs $125 and provides direct heat to get the pizza stone up to 700-900 degrees or you can can also run your grill grates in the pizza oven attachment to get up to those higher temps.

It is a very versatile piece of equipment. I have no reason to ever own another gas grill. I am rarely trying to cook steaks or grill something when I'm smoking a brisket or other meats so I've never run into an issue of needing to take one off to do the other.

Comment

Working...
                                X