New Mexico draw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Mexico draw

So, main question is when do you put in? I need to start sending in every year for New Mexico. I have private land I hunt in Colorado for elk and it holds some decent bulls but few and far in between like NM. So, would you recommend early archery or late archery? Also, is it better to put in with a guide and how exactly does that work? I know my units of interest 16a 16d 12 13 and 32. At least from a little research. If you draw without a guide, can you still hire a guide afterwards? New to NM elk. Cut my teeth on Colorado elk last year and interested in chasing a NM giant in a unit with satellites the size of the Colorado herd bulls we see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will have to go into the mobility impaired pool this year. I have a lot of research to do.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
      So, main question is when do you put in? I need to start sending in every year for New Mexico. I have private land I hunt in Colorado for elk and it holds some decent bulls but few and far in between like NM. So, would you recommend early archery or late archery? Also, is it better to put in with a guide and how exactly does that work? I know my units of interest 16a 16d 12 13 and 32. At least from a little research. If you draw without a guide, can you still hire a guide afterwards? New to NM elk. Cut my teeth on Colorado elk last year and interested in chasing a NM giant in a unit with satellites the size of the Colorado herd bulls we see.

According to my hunting spreadsheet the date deadline is 3/21/2019. If you're going to use an outfitter make them apply for you as your odds will increase via an outfitter. Lot of free info online on the Gila units. Good luck

Comment

If you want to hunt with in the next few years you better get a guide. I lived there for 6 years and put in the draw for bull elk in the same units 16A, B, and D and never got drawn, On the other hand I have had friends put in for the same units and got picked two years in a row. They have a screwed up system out there. Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by Bassdeer View Post
          If you want to hunt with in the next few years you better get a guide. I lived there for 6 years and put in the draw for bull elk in the same units 16A, B, and D and never got drawn, On the other hand I have had friends put in for the same units and got picked two years in a row. They have a screwed up system out there. Good Luck
          Those are some tough draws.

Comment

Every year before the draw I think New Mexico has a great system. Everyone has a chance!

After the draw, New Mexico sucks!

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
              Every year before the draw I think New Mexico has a great system. Everyone has a chance!

After the draw, New Mexico sucks!
              What sucks is even if you are a resident you have to enter the draw with everybody else. The bright side was after a few years you get to know the units that give you a better chance on drawing a tag.

Comment

When putting In for NM it is a $65.00 nonrefundable license correct? Do you have to pay up front for all your tags?

Comment

If you have an outfitter, your odds of drawing a tag a much greater than if you don't.

Comment

What sucks is even if you are a resident you have to enter the draw with everybody else. The bright side was after a few years you get to know the units that give you a better chance on drawing a tag.
                    If you are a resident, you enter the resident pool (90% of tags allocated go to residents). If you are a non resident, you are in a different pool (10% of total tags allocated). Guided tags come out of those same respective buckets.

NM has the best system out there by far. Everyone has a equal shot every year!
                    Last edited by WItoTX; 02-14-2019, 08:24 AM. Reason: .

Comment

They changed it this year where you have to buy a non-refundable license every year just to apply. Similar to AZ but cheaper I think.

draw pools they pull from are..
                      84% Res
                      10% Outfitter
                      6% Non Res

On the fence on weather im going to continue to apply with this new fee.

Comment

Do you have to pay up front for all your tags and if don't get drawn you get $ back?

Comment

Originally posted by charlesotto View Post
                          Do you have to pay up front for all your tags and if don't get drawn you get $ back?
                          You get a refund if you don't draw. They withhold $13 for the application fee per species applied. They also charge $65 for a nonrefundable hunting license.

If you applied for 1 category unsuccessfully, you would spend $78.

Comment

Originally posted by bigchiefj View Post
                            You get a refund if you don't draw. They withhold $13 for the application fee per species applied. They also charge $65 for a nonrefundable hunting license.

If you applied for 1 category unsuccessfully, you would spend $78.
                            To me it is asinine that they now want to keep the license fee when you can’t build preference points. Especially with the system so skewed towards residents already. I think I will buy landowner tags when I feel like hunting the state from now on, seeing as I haven’t been able to draw a tag in a quality unit for 8 straight years now.

Comment

ill pay the $65. Blue chip LO tags are 5k-12k

Comment

Working...
                              X