No announcement yet.

Advice for a Novice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cow tags are also a good idea for a new hunter out west, cow elk that is. Tags are additional tags and random draw. Most areas with cow tags have early seasons for them, and later seasons as well.
    Antelope need a few PP to draw a good area but some tags are given via the random draw in all areas. 45 is right here in Laramie and does have some public land to hunt. It gets hunted hard but good bucks can be found. I took a B&C buck in 45 many years ago.
    Doe antelope tags can also be had for cheap and up to 4 total including leftovers.
    Our general elk areas are just fine for elk hunters. Less pressure than Colorado OTC.

A good tent and reliable transportation is needed for mountain hunting. I turn my cell phone off while in the woods, no need for it.
    A GPS is a must in Wyoming, or onX sub. for your phone.
    Hunting the NF is very much like hunting your woods, except farther from home and higher elevation.
    Plan your trip with a good friend and come up and try it. Be prepared to shoot a cow elk when it presents itself. Lots of folks want a big bull and go home empty handed because they think elk hunting is like in videos. You need to shoot the elk that gives you a shot: cow, spike or big bull.
    Fall fishing is great for spawning trout and grouse hunting in the forest is a blast too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
      I would do Wyoming Antelope as a first. The first year you will have lots of "gear" to buy. Most of this will be a one time expense and can be used for future hunts. If you can get two buddies together and split accommodations and fuel it will will be less than $1000.00 with tags per person. If you hunt hard you can shoot a 65-70" antelope without much trouble. When looking at draw results online....if an area has 100% draw success...there will be limited access or no huntable herd. There are exceptions to this rule....if you just want to kill a nice representative animal and spend time out west. You can draw area 45 for antelope every year and if you can read a map there is quite a bit of public land. Makes for an affordable and exciting hunt. You WILL see animals and will have a shot opportunity. I would recommend the following items. Good comfortable pack, boots, onxy maps chip and GPS and best binos you can afford. I use cheap white pillow cases as meat bags.
      This is good advice but I would double check the draw odds on unit 45, takes a couple points these days.

Comment

I'm looking at the reduced price cow tag to go with our Pronghorn draw. That way if we don't draw Pronghorn we have something to hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by TexAg07 View Post
          This is good advice but I would double check the draw odds on unit 45, takes a couple points these days.
          Man the population must be down....me and two friends all drew in 45 in 2013. Buy a preference point in September and plan on going into 2020 draw with two. Can't go to Laramie without stopping at the West Laramie Fly shop!

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
            Man the population must be down....me and two friends all drew in 45 in 2013. Buy a preference point in September and plan on going into 2020 draw with two. Can't go to Laramie without stopping at the West Laramie Fly shop!
            Not really the population so much as it's more and more of us wanting to go out West :/

Point creep is a real thing in most all Western States.

Comment

Originally posted by TexAg07 View Post
              Not really the population so much as it's more and more of us wanting to go out West :/

Point creep is a real thing in most all Western States.
              Yep. a few years ago I only needed 9 points to draw the top areas for pronghorn. Now it is 12. No matter, I've decided to burn my points with my son and pick a mid level spot. If we don't get it we will have a second that is a pretty sure excess tag unit and just hunt late and pay trespass fees. I have a few of those in my pocket that, if the public/private access planted winter wheat, we could make some serious stalks.

As an Aside, if someone has 5.5 point or better and wants to try for a late season hunt (after October 15th) pm me. we can go as a group and save some $. We would likely camp but don't have to. It would sure save on the drive time with an extra driver. I have units I'm looking at seriously and I have backup units that are 100% that I "believe" we can get private access for not a lot of $ ($150-300) if we go late in the season.

We are right on the bubble for the unit I am looking at at 5.5 average points. I'm not sure what point creep will do this year. Last year it would have been 100%.

If your serious don't wait too long as I am planning to put in for elk tags as well and that is due the end of this month.

Comment

I did OTC Spring Bear in Idaho back in June. Had a blast and lucked out and shot a monster. I'd definitely recommend. Helps that you can bait 'em there.

Pablo

Comment

Working...
                X