• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sheep/goats

What’s the sheep/goat population like?

Comment

Camp Bullis Strategy

Anyone that has hunted camp Bullis range, what would be best there? A really well brushed in blind or a tripod stand? I’ve been told the deer are pretty used to blinds in the area, and since there are feeders everywhere for archery circles, I was thinking this year I should go high instead of ground level. Anyone’s thoughts?

Comment

I used the word "smart" and got chastised for it, but the deer on Bullis are super wary, for a better word, and that has a lot to do with there being a lot of human contact.
        Believe it or not the deer know where they can roam free and in the open such as around the hunting headquarters, or out on or near the ranges, and such where there is a lot of activity, but they are aware (instinct) that they are not being hunted.
        I've had good luck hunting there in my younger days where I got up high above in the tree tops to avoid the swirling winds that you have to deal with down lower to the ground.
        Ground blinds such as popups have come a long way, and now that I'm older that is the way I'm forced to hunt, and I've been successful, but you have to make sure your setup is right, and that means checking the wind before you decide where the best spot is.
        I try if possible to stay more on the edge of a treeline so that I get straight line winds instead of the swirling winds you get inside the brushy openings.
        Being high up you get above the trees somewhat and are able to avoid the swirling breezes that the deer will use to approach a feeder.
        Deer can come from any direction, but try to pick the spot where they are more consistently using trails and set up for the prevailing southeast wind you'll normally get on opening weekend, and have an alternate setup for when it's from the north. Finding a spot to put the blind where both directions work is going to be gold.

Comment

Any luck out there today?

Comment

Been running the feeder for 2 weeks straight at my archery circle and dont have a single picture of a deer. So, I cant move or scout any other areas... basically stuck with a junk spot. I could put a camera on Hwy 1604 and get a picture of deer coming to corn. Hope yall have better luck.

Comment

I have 3 doe, 2 bucks and a couple aoudad on cam. All at night except for aoudad. Only a pig killed out there so far last I knew. Very surprising.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunteraudit View Post
                I have 3 doe, 2 bucks and a couple aoudad on cam. All at night except for aoudad. Only a pig killed out there so far last I knew. Very surprising.
                Yea, guy at ORC for check in/out said people have been hunting only one pig and 1 turkey as of yesterday. Im not sure I will participate next year out there. If anyone wants a new Moultrie twistlock feeder and Miultrue A30 cam I would sell them right now and write that place off. Also he told me the 2B area is about to be closed until mid December, sucks for the 7 people who spent all that money and were placed in that area.

Comment

Hunting at Bullis usually always starts off slow, and that has been the case most all the years I hunted there, and some spots are better than others, and just sticking a feeder out there isn't going to be instant success. It's not your typical hill country ranch.
                  Other factors besides training are the acorns and recent rains where the deer are just not moving, and checking feeders because they don't have to, they just have too much to eat a short distance from where they bed down.
                  There were some years out there that I had to turn off my feeder and the corn sprouted under the feeder, but that was before the hogs got a foothold.
                  As the weather gets colder, and the acorns rot on the ground, the corn feeders will once again get hit hard, but if anyone pays attention to the harvest log, you will see that the success rate increases as the season progresses.
                  I've said before, hunting Camp Bullis isn't easy, and you have to be able to brush off the fact that you can be shut out for weeks from your area due to training.
                  As for the cost, I don't think you can find a day lease anywhere for the price they charge for an entire season, even if it's just for a few weekends, you've still come out ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo47 View Post
                    Hunting at Bullis usually always starts off slow, and that has been the case most all the years I hunted there, and some spots are better than others, and just sticking a feeder out there isn't going to be instant success. It's not your typical hill country ranch.
                    Other factors besides training are the acorns and recent rains where the deer are just not moving, and checking feeders because they don't have to, they just have too much to eat a short distance from where they bed down.
                    There were some years out there that I had to turn off my feeder and the corn sprouted under the feeder, but that was before the hogs got a foothold.
                    As the weather gets colder, and the acorns rot on the ground, the corn feeders will once again get hit hard, but if anyone pays attention to the harvest log, you will see that the success rate increases as the season progresses.
                    I've said before, hunting Camp Bullis isn't easy, and you have to be able to brush off the fact that you can be shut out for weeks from your area due to training.
                    As for the cost, I don't think you can find a day lease anywhere for the price they charge for an entire season, even if it's just for a few weekends, you've still come out ahead.
                    Completely agree with this. The acorns are thick and grass is green. It’s also been hot as balls the last couple weeks. None of this is optimal for making deer move around. Agree, getting shut out until mid December would be disheartening if u put in a bunch of work hauling stuff out there, setting up and scouting. But for their $50 charge and a 20 min drive from my house.... I’ll put in that kind of work and wont complain even if I only get a few weekends of hunting out of it.

Comment

Is Bullis open to public to enter lottery?

Comment

Hunteraudit, what area are the aoudad in?

Comment

Originally posted by robhags View Post
                          Hunteraudit, what area are the aoudad in?

A friend points out I shouldn’t post that online to avoid having people trampling through my archery circle.
                          Last edited by Hunteraudit; 10-07-2018, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by antpant101 View Post
                            Is Bullis open to public to enter lottery?
                            Public access is restricted on JBSA for security, antiterrorism, and force protection purposes. It has been determined that the possession of weapons on the installation by members of the public (except law enforcement personnel) presents a risk to military safety and security on JBSA. Per Table 7-2 of the JBSA Integrated Natural Resources Management Plan the following are eligible for hunting at JBSA:
                            1) Active Duty Military personnel
                            2) DoD civilians
                            3) Active Duty Military Dependents and Family Members with DoD ID 4) Military Retirees with DoD ID
                            5) DoD Civilian Retirees with DoD ID

Comment

Got this fella with one go at it in 1C

Comment

Originally posted by Hunteraudit View Post
                                Public access is restricted on JBSA for security, antiterrorism, and force protection purposes. It has been determined that the possession of weapons on the installation by members of the public (except law enforcement personnel) presents a risk to military safety and security on JBSA. Per Table 7-2 of the JBSA Integrated Natural Resources Management Plan the following are eligible for hunting at JBSA:
                                1) Active Duty Military personnel
                                2) DoD civilians
                                3) Active Duty Military Dependents and Family Members with DoD ID 4) Military Retirees with DoD ID
                                5) DoD Civilian Retirees with DoD ID
                                Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                                X