No announcement yet.

Lake Meredith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After being out there scouting the best way is to just pack in your water. If your goint to be out in the backcountry for a few days you can always setup a solar still. That will handle the sediment and the salinity. It isn't fast however so I would still take a few days worth of water. I am currently planning on returning to a main camp every few days to get more water.

Comment

Originally posted by chastings77 View Post
      Dude_Briggs

What are you guys doing for water in the backcountry this year? The river is probably too low, the lake is so low that there isn't even water in martin's canyon. I guess packing it all in this year...need some water caches out there.
      This was Martin's a few weeks ago. Water was going up into the canyon quite a bit.

Comment

Shake n bake, that looks almost where the water was last year!

Saw some deer this weekend, 1 whitetail buck, several whitetail does, and many mule does, no mule bucks...all early morning. Even saw a bobcat, haven't seen one in a long time.

Can't wait for opening day boys!

Comment

Shake n bake, that looks almost where the water was last year!

Saw some deer this weekend, 1 whitetail buck, several whitetail does, and many mule does, no mule bucks...all early morning. Even saw a bobcat, haven't seen one in a long time.

Can't wait for opening day boys!
          Sounds like a productive weekend. At this point I am just hoping it is not to packed when I go out to hunt but have a feeling that I will not be that lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by RShockley View Post
            Sounds like a productive weekend. At this point I am just hoping it is not to packed when I go out to hunt but have a feeling that I will not be that lucky.
            Yessir, I haven't figured that one out yet either! I am hoping for a really cold season with lots of snow.

Comment

Anyone know if and when Mullinaw Crossing was opened last year? Has anyone ever crossed in their vehicle?

If it does open, would anyone be interested in backing me up in crossing it this season. I have a lifted FZJ80 and think I can cross it but would want someone there to pull me back out if not.

Would make for nice hunting in Big Canyon without the 8 mile devils canyon hike in.

Comment

Anyone know if and when Mullinaw Crossing was opened last year? Has anyone ever crossed in their vehicle?

If it does open, would anyone be interested in backing me up in crossing it this season. I have a lifted FZJ80 and think I can cross it but would want someone there to pull me back out if not.

Would make for nice hunting in Big Canyon without the 8 mile devils canyon hike in.

Just sent you a pm

Comment

Originally posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
                  This was Martin's a few weeks ago. Water was going up into the canyon quite a bit.
                  That point on the far side is where I saw a boat drop off 4 hunters who split in to sets of 2 and hiked in towards Evans. Less than an hr later, boom from that direction.

Comment

Had a great opening weekend, was 20 yds from slinging an arrow at a white tail doe, could not get a clear shot and then she took off.

I did see something weird, I was glassing a canyon that was normally full of deer, mostly mule does, and didn't see anything that morning. There were about 40 head of cattle in the canyon and about an hour later a cowboy on a horse coming up from the far lake side herding them out. I wonder if he ran that canyon out early that morning.

Had a good weekend and got some good exercise, did anyone score yet?

Comment

Check out this spot I found, 1 mile from heavily hunted area...thick thick cover. Think this is my opening day spot.

Comment

Check out this spot I found, 1 mile from heavily hunted area...thick thick cover. Think this is my opening day spot.
                        Definitely some solid trails there. Have you scouted or just found it on google earth?
                        Last edited by RShockley; 10-01-2018, 04:46 PM.

Comment

RShockley, I originally found it on google earth and scouted it in the spring. It is a real pain to get there but I think it will be worth it with all the trails going through that one spot.

Comment

Our trip got cut short due to a death in the family. We only saw 2 bucks, one 1st light opening morning which was a long ways off in the fog. We tried to make a move on him dropping into a draw but when we got back to glass the field he was in we couldn't find him again. 2nd buck was that evening and on the move, we think another hunter spooked him and we lost him as well. Over 2 1/2 days we spotted over 30 mulie does fawns and yearlings. I'm convinced they are in every canyon out there. My glassing skills are getting better as I spotted several bedded deer this year. We also had a doe and fawn graze up to 12 yards from us. The fawn would bleat every now and again to moma, that was pretty cool as it was the 1st time Ive ever heard em do that. All in all it was a really fun trip. The big bucks are still very elusive to me but we learn more every year. We did find a lot of buck sign including a monster scrape in a canyon but we think they moved out when more people started showing up.

Comment

Dude, thanks for the report and sorry to hear about the death in your family, prayers your way.

Comment

Had a great hunt this weekend before the rain set in. No hunting pressure where I was at, did not sling an arrow but was a great scout in a new area I had never been before.

Comment

Working...
                                X