2018 LBJ Grasslands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rich1201 View Post
    1. Only during firearm season (even if bowhunting)

2. No

3. Only hunting license required

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Your number one is wrong. From the fs.usda website.
    "All hunters and those accompanying them must wear daylight fluorescent orange at any time when hunting, except when hunting fur-bearing or predatory animals at night or when hunting turkey or migratory birds. A minimum of 400 square inches of fluorescent orange must be visible (144 square inches on both the chest and back, and a daylight fluorescent orange cap or hat.)"

https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/tex...eation/hunting

Comment

Originally posted by KayaKyle View Post
      What are some of the food sources y’all are noticing? I haven’t ran across any reliable sources of acorns. Seems like a lot of trees aren’t producing much or I’m just blind. Most of my stand positions are between water sources and bedding areas. Not that they are bad, as I’ve gotten plenty of deer on film, but I feel like I’ve been looking over better positions.
      I'm seeing them eat natural browse off the ground (don't know plant names) and these little plum looking things (don't know the name either). There have been a few spots I've found these plants and they are eating them pretty good. I've found sporadic trees with acorns but they haven't dropped yet.

Comment

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
        I'm seeing them eat natural browse off the ground (don't know plant names) and these little plum looking things (don't know the name either). There have been a few spots I've found these plants and they are eating them pretty good. I've found sporadic trees with acorns but they haven't dropped yet.

Once again... I would definitely reference the link I posted above.
        It is specifically a cross timbers / post oak savannah deer stomach survey. That covers from Fort Worth/Dallas to southern Oklahoma. The study also covers dry and wet years, which is perfect. If you want property specific info, pay VERY detailed attention to plants that are browsed. I.D. All plants that are nipped off, and when they are browsed, and pay attention to what plants you find browsed more often than others. You can build a knowledge of local flora pretty quick with this method. Honestly, with a decent amount of time spent in the field from about a month before season, to a few weeks after, you will figure out most important food sources for your herd. To be honest, knowing a few mast trees from research, and local browse from good/detailed observation, you should easily find what foods are in season in what time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Turnkey View Post
          Your number one is wrong. From the fs.usda website.
          "All hunters and those accompanying them must wear daylight fluorescent orange at any time when hunting, except when hunting fur-bearing or predatory animals at night or when hunting turkey or migratory birds. A minimum of 400 square inches of fluorescent orange must be visible (144 square inches on both the chest and back, and a daylight fluorescent orange cap or hat.)"

https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/tex...eation/hunting
          Good to know. Surprising though. Never seen an orange vest during bow season.

Comment

I will be out Sat Sun but will be at Caddo Starting out. Came up to Caddo this weekend to get some last minute scouting and look for fresh sign after the rains. Been stuck in the tent since we got here Friday night. It has been pouring almost the whole time. We are still high and dry tho. Put the 15x20 tarp over the rain fly just to be sure we stay that way. It has been fun anyway, nice and relaxing just listening to the rain taking naps, stuck in a 10x10 cabin tent with a half naked woman and no one else around. There is plenty of things to do, read a book, do puzzles, drink cold [emoji481].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Probably because people can still hunt squirrels, varmint, pigs, etc. with shotguns during bow season. I think you can shoot hogs with a shotgun out there?

Comment

Awesome advice Ikeman, I appreciate you adding the link. It’s chalked full of valuable information that I would have never known about otherwise. Now I need to take that knowledge out in the field with me next time.

Also, interesting info about acorns this season. I thought I was going crazy not finding much in the area from this year.

Comment

I know it has come up in the facebook group as well. I believe it may be because Army corp of engineer lands don't require orange during archery only seasons and many WMAs are ACE properties.

Also people are terrible at keeping up with regulations they don't want to adhere to.

Comment

Probably because people can still hunt squirrels, varmint, pigs, etc. with shotguns during bow season. I think you can shoot hogs with a shotgun out there?
                    You can hunt hogs with a shotgun anytime. Also deer can be hunted with a shotgun during the general season. Buckshot is allowed. I'm not sure if slugs are permitted.

Comment

Sadly I didn’t get much time to scout so it will be a shot in the dark for me but any hunting is better than no hunting.

Comment

I'm going on the incentive that
                        deer will be there in the woods
                        Hopefully BIG horned deers...

Comment

Found someone’s blind setup already is this s common thing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Pulled pictures. Wasn't happy with what we were seeing. Small buck, few doe and a coyote.
                            Moved to backup unit. Lots of hog sign. I told the young'uns this was going to be a learning year. Heard someone shoot. On shot. Figured it was a hog. No ducks were seen on any lakes we scouted.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean_Nichols View Post
                              Found someone’s blind setup already is this s common thing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                              Yes, you'll run into setups frequently, depending on the unit and how close to the parking lot you are.

Comment

Yes, you'll run into setups frequently, depending on the unit and how close to the parking lot you are.
                                Yep just found someone's ladder stand last weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X