Whitetail Deer Movement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HR3 View Post
    An old Hunter gave me this bit of wisdom as it pertained to deer patterns and behavior....."deer do what they darn well please"...... Lol

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
    That is pretty wise and probably as close as one (me) can get!

I will be in the stand when I can go so a believed pattern isn’t going to keep me from going. I stay all day sometimes.

It’s just interesting to me.

I do know some of you have a gift of hunting. That expertise and experience is always amazing to me. Some people know where to catch fish and some know where and when to find deer. (Some both).

Comment

You will get there... It really comes from map study, observing the animal and reading your hunting area.... Success is where Preparation and Opportunity MEET

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Comment

Hey TexHunter, scout, scout, scout. Walk your land and hunt according to the sign you see. Right now is the best time to scout, right after the season is over.

As far as the moon position, I will let ya know tomorrow night, I will be in a tree when the moon is rising.

Comment

Great topic but it is my experience, after hunting deer in every possible region of this state, that it would be next to impossible to explain with any form of accuracy because they all act differently in each different region with Old Mexico deer breaking every rule in the book..... Every subspecies act different than the next it seems.....

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
            Hey TexHunter, scout, scout, scout. Walk your land and hunt according to the sign you see. Right now is the best time to scout, right after the season is over.

As far as the moon position, I will let ya know tomorrow night, I will be in a tree when the moon is rising.
            I’m not on a very big track of land so I can’t scout to the night time feeding areas. If there are day time feeding areas I don’t know exactly where they are either. I do have lots of traffic signs through the property and have my stand and feeder in what I think is the best traffic. I just really have no idea where the traffic is coming from or going too

Comment

Originally posted by TXHunter12 View Post
              I’m not on a very big track of land so I can’t scout to the night time feeding areas. If there are day time feeding areas I don’t know exactly where they are either. I do have lots of traffic signs through the property and have my stand and feeder in what I think is the best traffic. I just really have no idea where the traffic is coming from or going too
              Don't sweat it! Just find the best sign, maybe trail intersections. Acorn trees, fruit trees or some type of food source. If you hunt in hilly terrain, look for saddles that they would travel through or side ridges that they may bed on. Sometimes it is something that has been over looked. Just relax and take a walk through the woods, you will be surprised what you find.

Comment

You know my program tracks your photos and gives you patterns like wind direction, moon phase, and time of day. Simply upload your pictures, create a folder, upload pictures of whatever animal you want to pattern and it will tell you the 3 conditions stated above. All broken down in percentages and displayed in a pie chart.

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
                  You know my program tracks your photos and gives you patterns like wind direction, moon phase, and time of day. Simply upload your pictures, create a folder, upload pictures of whatever animal you want to pattern and it will tell you the 3 conditions stated above. All broken down in percentages and displayed in a pie chart.
                  What program is this? I'm interested.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

thehuntersight.com

You can do a lot more than just the game camera trending I mentioned as well.

Comment

Originally posted by TXHunter12 View Post
                      I had just started to do this. I donÂ’t have a spread sheet but that is a much better idea than just writing it down. Hunting one spot for many many years is what made me start wondering.

I canÂ’t seem to find a pattern. I think I have it figured out sometimes but then something is different. IÂ’m not sure where their exact feeding areas are but I do know in the morning they wouid come in from the north and in the evenings come up from the south. Recently even that IÂ’ve seen reversed.

From what IÂ’ve gathered here if your location is not near a daytime resting area then you are not likely to see them during the day. If they have to eat 4-7 hours then they would be moving in the day.

IÂ’m in a wooded area. I do have some random daytime and nighttime sightings.

Going to start tracking it more thourghly like you and see if I can figure anything out.
                      And to be honest, all I have listed on my current spreadsheet is the date & time. I originally had the moon phase, wind direction, etc. on there, but there didn't seem to be any trends with that information as far as bucks are concerned. The only consistent pattern was the time(s) of day. And just as a note, I have the camera set on an intersection of two trails.

Comment

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is weather and how it affects deer movement. Specifically pressure. I know there are some people on here that swear by the barometric pressure numbers and that it trumps anything having to do with the moon.

I am like most, I hunt when I can and let the chips fall. With that said, I have looked at peak movement times based on moon (from Huntstand,etc.) and the pressure. I have been looking at the moon for longer but have never noticed any difference in "peak movement times" vs non-peak. This was really the first year I started monitoring pressure. In short from my observations, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. For example there were a couple of times this year where the pressure and moon appeared to line up at "prime time" and I made sure I was out but didn't see anything. One time was peak rut and everything seemed perfect but nothing. So maybe this is the most accurate, "An old Hunter gave me this bit of wisdom as it pertained to deer patterns and behavior....."deer do what they darn well please"...... Lol"

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
                          One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is weather and how it affects deer movement. Specifically pressure. I know there are some people on here that swear by the barometric pressure numbers and that it trumps anything having to do with the moon.

I am like most, I hunt when I can and let the chips fall. With that said, I have looked at peak movement times based on moon (from Huntstand,etc.) and the pressure. I have been looking at the moon for longer but have never noticed any difference in "peak movement times" vs non-peak. This was really the first year I started monitoring pressure. In short from my observations, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. For example there were a couple of times this year where the pressure and moon appeared to line up at "prime time" and I made sure I was out but didn't see anything. One time was peak rut and everything seemed perfect but nothing. So maybe this is the most accurate, "An old Hunter gave me this bit of wisdom as it pertained to deer patterns and behavior....."deer do what they darn well please"...... Lol"
                          I think weather absolutely affects deer movement. My favorite time to hunt is after a good cold front blows in during October. I've also noticed an increase in late morning & mid-day activity during cool/cold days (also when the moon is full for that matter).
                          Last edited by JMKro; 01-14-2019, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Thanks I will check the app out.

Unrelated sort of but does pertain to tracking with trail cams. I have a Covert camera. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen a deer in the stand that should have shown up on the camera but didn’t!

Comment

This is a very interesting thread. I've tried tracking patterns with an excel spreadsheet. The one thing that I noticed was I saw more mature bucks in the am. Several times I've hunted when I didnt expect to see anything due to poor conditions and I end seeing the biggest buck of the season. I think there are just too many factors that come into play. It's fun to try to find the formula though. In the end I agree with the philosophy of going when you can and letting the chips fall where they may. I figure its pointless anyway because I'm going to go as often as I can regardless of conditions. Even if I had the formula it would just give me some insight into what kind of movement to expect. But I'm going hunting either way.

Comment

Absolutely, I am going hunting when I can. I hunt small properties that can be over pressured easy. I am looking forward to using https://thehuntersight.com to see if I can find a pattern on any of my properties with any target bucks. At least, help me to choose the best stand based on the information I have and keep from wasting a hunt on a small property and leaving my scent everywhere.

I think this will really help early in the season bowhunting in October. I feel the bucks have more of a pattern before the rut. Anyway, you have to hunt when you get the chance. Important part is always trying to choose the best stand. Game cameras with the ability to use software to easily pattern is a convenient tool. Can be accessed from your phone, PC, or tablet.

Comment

Working...
                                X