No announcement yet.

The Forbidden Zone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember seeing that when the lake was new. Dissapointed me as I used to fish some other lakes tailraces for striper, hybrids, and sand bass. All the Ft. Worth lakes are cut off. Corps lakes aren't, but they are a lot more restricted after 9/11, than they used to be. Big fish in current is a lot of fun. 13 lb 12 oz. hybrid behind Lavon around 1990, my best hybrid, uncounted 30+ lb smallmouth buffalo. Orientals love to help you get those in. Give it to them and they pack their bucket and rod and go home.

Comment

I'm convinced theres a missle silo or radioactive material buried back there Very Orwellian to have signs like that up in a free country, they should just change it to "the Verboten Zone"
      Last edited by bossbowman; 01-13-2019, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Dr. Zaius and his pals put it there.

(Watch Planet of The Apes)

I've driven by there and seen LOTS of Nice bucks and huge hogs grazing out there.
        Attached Files

Comment

William Shatnerville.

Comment

I used to fish RC a lot beginning back in the early 90’s. Don’t recall exactly the differences out there prior to 9-11. But there were no trespassing signs south of the dam.

Comment

Thought you had fallen victim to the forbidden zone of the “hot/crazy matrix”....

Comment

Originally posted by ezypikns View Post
                (Watch Planet of The Apes)

I've driven by there and seen LOTS of Nice bucks and huge hogs grazing out there.

Hey look. It's a gate to go through to get inside!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0040.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	24567391

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                  Hey look. It's a gate to go through to get inside!

[ATTACH]941825[/ATTACH]
                  Don't do it!

It's a trap!

Way back when, when they had 2 weeks of archery at RC and 2 weeks at GE we would stay at GE in the screened shelters and drive back and forth to hunt RC

Many a night we saw some bruisers in the bar ditch between the river and FM488 headed back to camp

Been a few big bucks poached off of the forbidden zone over the years that made the news. Probably more that didn't get caught

Comment

Originally posted by steve morton View Post
                    William Shatnerville.
                    Rod Serlingzone!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Comment

It's been a forbidden zone as long as Richland Chambers has been created. It does indeed flood when the Trinity is up, so there is a valid reason that it is deemed " Forbidden" . I was lucky enough to have 2 leases over the years that backed up to the WMA. When it flooded, deer over ran the surrounding deer leases and ranches like fire ants. What I dislike are the other fishing and wildlife viewing opportunities that were lost. For the first few years, fishing was allowed on the metal piers behind the gates, unless they had more than 3 gates open. Tarant County Water District quit leasing the pier out and shut down the fishing to the public. There was unbelievable fishing for hybrids and sandbass on the fast side and huge, barn door Crappie on the calm side. They shut it down because the novice fisherman kept knocking the lights out throwing heavy lead slabs and then there were the idiots that made campfires on the metal grates and damaged wiring. Up until a few seasons ago, they had a wildlife viewing off the side of the pavement on 488. It was a popular place to sit in your vehicle and watch the deer. With a spotting scope, you could get up close and personal to seeing true monster bucks and it was not uncommon to count hundreds of other deer. Spent a lot of fun times watching and was always shocked and awed. They quit mowing, supposidly for financial reasons and that pretty much shut down seeing any deer. Every time I pass by, I am reminded how much I dislike Tarrant County Water Management.

Comment

I still see a "few selected" people fish behind there but never been invited.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

When I graduated college I interviewed for a job up there. It was for a research job with them to evaluate how different plants could filter and clean polluted water. There were "gardens" of these plants with water flowing through them in that Forbidden zone. With all the money they put into this research project they couldn't let the duck hunters walk through and destroy it. Also, the employees get to deer hunt the Forbidden zone.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
                            Also, the employees get to deer hunt the Forbidden zone.
                            Nope. Good friend of mine worked there for years. They have lots of land the employees and their guest get to hunt. But even the employees cannot go into the forbidden zone for recreation. This is why everyone talks about the giant deer there. No one hunts them.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
                              When I graduated college I interviewed for a job up there. It was for a research job with them to evaluate how different plants could filter and clean polluted water. There were "gardens" of these plants with water flowing through them in that Forbidden zone. With all the money they put into this research project they couldn't let the duck hunters walk through and destroy it. Also, the employees get to deer hunt the Forbidden zone.
                              Are you talking about the "North Zone" where all the duck marshes are or are you talking about the actual "forbidden zone"?

99% sure the only folks allowed in the forbidden zone are TCWD employees doing official work and oil company folks managing/maintaining the production wells.

I never heard of ANYONE having permission to hunt it. That does not mean there are not special folks that might.

Also that duck marsh is all set up to filter water before it is put back into the river. Not sure what it needs filtered for but that is what I understood And yes it is full of specific plants to do that work

Comment

I am talking about the Forbidden Zone. I interviewed there and they showed me all the deer on the wall that were taken from the Forbidden zone. They said if I got the job, that was part of it. Maybe times have changed, but 20 years ago the employees got to hunt the forbidden zone.

Comment

Working...
                                X