Minimum acres to actually manage deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at a property in Milam county. Post oak and cedar. With one neighbor that doesn't hunt, my blind would be the only one sitting directly in the middle of about 600 acres. What's the chance of actually getting bucks to 5 years old assuming the other neighbors shoot 3 year old, 13" bucks?
    Last edited by toledo; 01-11-2019, 10:16 PM.

What is your actual acerage going to be?

Comment

You must provide more info?

Comment

i say strong, to quite strong. i have science backing me.

Comment

You can have some form of management on an acre. But you’re gonna need 5,000 acres to “hold” some deer. How many 3 year olds are the other neighbors shooting each year? Could be done. But gonna be challenging.

Comment

If you have cover, water, and maybe 10% food plots I think the only thing to lose them to would be about 2 weeks of rut when they can go anywhere! I agree, strong property to manage.

Comment

My advice would be to just forget all about this whole management thing and hunt.
              Dont shoot everything that walks and the rest will take care of its self

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
                How many 3 year olds are the other neighbors shooting each year?
                The number of properties touching that 600 acres goes to about a dozen 10-40 acre tracts. I'm sure some aren't being hunted but I would make the assumption that any decent buck that leaves would have a high probability of being shot.

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
                  The number of properties touching that 600 acres goes to about a dozen 10-40 acre tracts. I'm sure some aren't being hunted but I would make the assumption that any decent buck that leaves would have a high probability of being shot.
                  From your answer, I am deducing that the place is 600 acres....if that is the case, high fence it and you don't have much to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                    My advice would be to just forget all about this whole management thing and hunt.
                    Dont shoot everything that walks and the rest will take care of its self
                    That's my general mindset. BUT when we are talking about buying a property you have to weigh the IS IT WORTH IT? If the best I can hope for on this property is to shoot does and watch 3 year old bucks then the answer is likely no. I can do that other places. If it's actually big enough to consistently see mature deer then that changes things. Very good population in the area so the supply is there. Just don't know if it's a pipe dream to hope to hold them on 600 acres in this part of the country.

Comment

The dozen small neighbors would be a deal breaker for me personally.

Comment

Some can survive. But that is not big enough in my opinion.

Sorry.

Comment

Tall fence

Comment

We had 535 acres with a 12 acre neighbor and 2 10 acre neighbors that shot everything that came across the fence. I managed it pretty strict and was able to shoot some decent deer off of it.

Ranch was my grandmothers and we leased it for about 7 years before she spilt it up last season. Now we have 270 acres that my dad owns and I still manage it and my uncles piece for a total of 400 acres. My uncle lets a few other folks hunt from time to time on his piece when I’m not there and my cousins hunt the other 135 acres that borders the smaller tracts.

I still passed on this deer all season and I’m hoping he makes it to next year.

I’m also a firm believer in not becoming part of the problem and shooting deer at 3.5 or 4.5 just when they start to really get your attention.

We also only take 1 Nilgai Bull or cow every year instead of letting everyone shoot them on site. What that has allowed was me to see 4 bulls and 4 cows almost every time I went down to hunt this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by Black Ice; 01-11-2019, 11:03 PM.

Comment

it all depends on location. 600 acres around me would be a gold mine. i chased a certain 160" deer for 5 years on my 50 acres with 15 different property owners on my boundaries, most of which hunt. i have 90 acres 20 mins down the road where i have had the same 2 deer on camera since 2012, and they were mature then, one is still alive and one got killed this year (181").

Comment

Working...
                              X