Gutting a travel trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gutting a travel trailer

Looking for a cheap tt to make into a lease trailer seen several on Craigslist but most need to be gutted, not a problem but have any of you done it and then had mold or health issues ? Or how should it be done correctly? Strip down to the studs and then re-insulate and go, not looking for taj mahal just a place that’s clean and dry with some bunks for my boys and me. Go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would guess down to studs then back to however you want it set up

Comment

So many out there have had water damage was wondering bout mold remediation?

Comment

A buddy and I did this a few years ago. We had an old travel trailer that was structurally sound but pretty trashed inside. We converted it to a simple bunkhouse to be used as overflow sleeping quarters for guests/kids. We tore out all the cabinets, the bathroom, the kitchen, the old gas heater and the built-in beds. We pulled down and discarded all the old paneling and rewired a bit to add some electrical outlets and replaced the ancient light fixtures. We put new bat insulation between the studs then went back up with OSB instead of paneling. What we were left with was an empty box. We already had two twin bed frames and we built two more that attach to the wall and fold up when not in use. Fortunately the rooftop AC still worked. With the extra insulation a couple of ceramic heaters kept it toasty on cold nights.

Comment

You don’t have any pictures of the fold down beds do you ?I was thinking of that same exact plan .if overhead a/c works then we would just use small electric heater and maybe a dit futon bed/couch it space allows

Comment

Originally posted by coy-ote View Post
            You don’t have any pictures of the fold down beds do you ?I was thinking of that same exact plan .if overhead a/c works then we would just use small electric heater and maybe a dit futon bed/couch it space allows

No pics but it was a 2x4 frame hinged to the wall on one side. When folded up the four legs fold into the frame. On those we didn't even use real mattresses - we used foam rubber that was about 4" thick. Probably wouldn't be comfortable for an adult multiple nights in a row but it was mostly used by kids

Comment

Ok thanks

Comment

I did this slide in a few years ago. rebuilding an old camper can be really easy and cheap or as expensive as one wants it to be

Comment

I did this exact thing. I gutted a trailer down to 2x2 studs and the i-beam frame. Re-insulated, ran pex, all new electrical, new floors, rebuilt the slide including roofing, etc.

I wouldn’t do it again.......

Comment

I don't think a little mole will be a problem, we just seal the roof and any where it is leaking. Sleep in deer lease cheep trailers for many years with no problem

Comment

I’ve slept in some “real condos” myself but my kids are young 8 and 11 and was worried for them

Comment

Btw, treated the aluminum with mold products and then bleached. Removed and replaced all rotted wood.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                          https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=399209

I did this slide in a few years ago. rebuilding an old camper can be really easy and cheap or as expensive as one wants it to be

Wow that’s a lot of work but came out great

Comment

Man, looking at some of these projects seems like you might be better off starting from scratch building something on skids or even on a lowboy trailer.

Comment

Thought of that also ,being retired gives me lots of time during the day while my kids are at school

Comment

Working...
                              X