2018 Kawasaki Mule SX Roof Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auxiliary/Main battery wiring diagram

Here is a basic wiring diagram for what I have done. Again, as previously stated these are rough diagrams and as anyone can easily tell I am in no way an electrician nor electrical engineer. lol
    Attached Files

Comment

Voltmeter installed

I got the voltmeter installed and I must say it offers a bit of peace of mind being able to see the voltage of each battery. From the voltmeter I can see the output of my stator as well as the charge level each battery has upon starting. When the deep cycle's voltage drops to 12.2 volts it is time to put it on the charger. I will still be looking into a solar trickle charger for the auxiliary battery. Any advice on the solar would be greatly appreciated. My next step and final step for this roof build will be to finally order and install some 18 watt 4" flood LED pods to put behind the cab. These will not only allow me to see better behind me at night in the mule but will also aid in backing up my 16' lowboy at night in the dark piney woods of East Texas.
      Attached Files

Comment

As Promised here is the breakdown of cost

I stated in my very first post on this project that I would include how much everything cost and where I procured my items from. As far as nuts and bolts go I had a stock pile of carriage bolts and nylon lock nuts I was sitting on so those will not be included in this breakdown. Also this breakdown will include the adding of the auxiliary battery system as it was necessary to run everything on the roof.

Roof Build Cost Sheet

Item Where Purchased Price
        Nilight 22” Lightbar Amazon 29.83
        8x6x4 switch box enclosure Amazon 12.99
        3 toggle switch panel Amazon 19.99
        Nilight 4” Flood Pods (2) Amazon 14.57
        (10) SS pipe straps Amazon 12.99
        (2) Truck bed liner spray Lowe’s 24.98
        (2) rubberized undercoat spray Amazon 12.98
        Green LED modules (10) Amazon 12.98
        48x48x ¾ treated plywood Lowe’s 18.00
        Treated 2x4x8 Lowe’s 4.17
        Mounting brackets for 2x4’s Lowe’s 6.00
        Dual Volt meter Amazon 11.18
        On off switch for volt meter Amazon 9.99
        SRM-24 Deep Cycle Battery Interstate Battery 129.99

Total Roof Build $320.64

I will post pics of the buggy complete this weekend hopefully!

Comment

How do you like your Mule SX I have been looking at them but don’t know anyone who owns one?

Comment

I love it.

Its a great buggy. It is narrow enough that I can usually go around washouts, although it goes through them just as well. I have rode with guys running polaris rangers and my mule sx seems to float over the mudholes they have trouble in, I'm guessing because it's so light. Top speed is 25 mph so if you're looking for a speed demon then keep looking. It has plenty of power and the fuel economy is amazing. You can ride 3 deep in a pinch but it is only designed for 2. Overall I'd say if you are looking for workhorse that will get the job done and that is all you are after, you can't beat the SX.

Comment

What is the width? National Forests trails are restricted to 50” I think. If you’re not hunting the NF’s it doesn’t matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice build guys

Comment

Width

I built the roof to be as wide as the outer edges of the rollbar which happens to be the widest part of the buggy. So, to answer your question it is 47".

Comment

Well that's a wrap

Got the roof finished! That feels good to say finally. Here are some pics of the completed project. The rear lights turned out impressively bright and will certainly make backing in my 16 foot trailer a breeze in the pitch black night of the piney woods!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Here's the whole buggy

Heres a pic of the whole buggy in the daylight.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Nice project. Turned out great.

Comment

Thanks

Here are some pictures of the lights at night in action. Pictures don't really do it justice as they look darker in these photos, but it gives a general idea.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Very cool, I like it. Good work.

Comment

turned out great!!

Comment

Turned out nice, that light bar is really bright. I'll probably be doing something similar to this in the near future, minus the roof. I'm not electrically inclined so it could get interesting. Thanks for the inspiration.

Comment

Working...
                                X