DIY Mailbox post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike Fangman View Post
    I'm pretty sure because its treated wood and needs to dry out.
    Mike you hit the nail on the head sir

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin4D View Post
      You know it’s possible that someone could unintentionally hit your mailbox. Like an accident. Let’s hope in that case your mailbox doesn’t cause way more damage to their car than a normal one would. Or HURT SOMEONE in the car. But by all means, patiently wait for someone to hit your bad*** mailbox.
      #Triggered

Comment

Most mail boxes are not located on private property but in the actual road easement which is defines as part of the roadway. Just an unnecessary liability in the sue crazy times when live in today to build a bullet proof mail box.

Comment

You know it’s possible that someone could unintentionally hit your mailbox. Like an accident. Let’s hope in that case your mailbox doesn’t cause way more damage to their car than a normal one would. Or HURT SOMEONE in the car. But by all means, patiently wait for someone to hit your bad*** mailbox.

Back home we had a problem with kids hitting our boxes with baseball bats from cars.

6" Pipe and custom made box from 1/4" steel plate welded together stopped that problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Houston4x4 View Post
            All done! I’m happy with the way it turned out hope it lasts for many years to come
            Looks nice!
            It looks like you are on a dead end street. How was that idiot able to run over your mailbox in that scenario? I hope your cars weren't impacted.

Comment

And yes there actually are local rules that govern mailboxes, beyond the general recommendations. Obviously your subdivision is allowed to have those types of mailboxes, because you know, it’s a subdivision. How many brick mailboxes you see on the side of the FM road where people travel at higher speeds? Very few if any at all, probably because the local postmaster doesn’t allow it
              We live on a country road (not a FM) and have a custom brick mailbox that matches our house. We had multiple posts destroyed over a three-year period by idiotic drivers. Never did they leave a note or offer to help put up a new mailbox after destroying ours.
              Since we built brick mailboxes, we have had two of those destroyed. But it was easier to have those drivers' insurance pick up the bill since the cars were disabled nearby due to their 'encounter' with our mailbox.
              The postmaster has never questioned our mailbox, or any of the others that are pipe, brick, etc. along our road.
              We didn't build the brick mailbox to harm anyone or their cars. We built it to look better than a post and match our house (200 feet off the road). (That is, to look better than a post I could build and rebuild and rebuild. I could not have built one as nice as the OP).

Comment

Originally posted by 2B4Him View Post
                Looks nice!
                It looks like you are on a dead end street. How was that idiot able to run over your mailbox in that scenario? I hope your cars weren't impacted.
                He threaded the needle missing both my work car and my truck by feet I was very fortunate
                Attached Files

Comment

I've seen some home subdivisions where all mail boxes are brick and mortar. Such is the place where my folks live.

Comment

Looks good

Comment

Really digging that sir! I like the flame treatment!

as a side note:

The house I grew up in had our mailbox (brick and mortar) run over like 5 times. It was kids going up and down the street hitting them and knocking them over. How that would be fun or whatever, (wouldn't it scratch up their truck?) I don't know. My dad got real tired of it, so we dug a hole to China, put a steel 4x4 in each corner, all welded together with rebar, did the brick work, and filled the whole thing in with concrete before we put the top on. One night we heard a noise, go out there and there's a truck wrapped around it with 3 teenage boys running around freaking out. My dad called the cops and this time the parents got called and it never happened again. I think that was in '94. Im sure that makes us bad people but hey... whatever.

We also had problems with the snow plow knocking the mailbox over up at the cottage in Wisconsin. Just a function of someone doing their job. Grandpa and I welded together this neat spring loaded thing on a 6 foot pole cantilevered out to the street that would swing 90 degrees when you pushed on it and was spring loaded to return to center. Its still there now... and that was... crap the late 80s.

Sometimes you have to bend, and sometimes you have to stand sturdy and say enough is what I am saying.

Comment

We lived in a little neighborhood out in the country in college and folks constantly went down our street playing mailbox baseball! They never hit ours so I had a pretty good idea who it was! Told em several times to cool it but they never did. Finally my neighbor welded one up out of 4" pipe and 1/2" plate steel and got his wife to paint it all up to look like wood. Couple weeks later all the mailboxes but his and mine were smashed again! Saw my buddy later and his side window was smashed out and the door frame by the Windows was dented in with a bat! My buddy said his hands were ringing for 3 weeks! Needless to say that was the end of their mailbox baseball days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Houston4x4 View Post
                          He threaded the needle missing both my work car and my truck by feet I was very fortunate
                          Yikes!!

Comment

Great idea! I torched some corn hole boards and they came out nice. Mailbox might be next!

Comment

Working...
                            X