No announcement yet.

DIY Mailbox post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AND everyone is entitled to their opinion...

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin4D View Post
      Yes they recommend not building out of potentially dangerous supports like heavy metal pipes. You know, like common sense, which was the point of my original post.

I interpreted Axisguys post that he built his mailbox the way he did, in disregard to what could potentially happen to the other party involved. Im sure that is not the case, I apologize, but I still stand by my thoughts that it’s not a good idea. That’s all I’m trying to say.

Understood here . Your just thinking about the welfare/well being of vehicle passengers who have no control over the outcome of an "accident."

If Axisguy has had continuous problems with "malicious intent" and keeping his mailbox standing, I could also understand his thoughts on keeping a rigid mail box too.

Now, back to the OP's mailbox work...carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by Ilik2hunt View Post
        Dang,according to your information everyone in our subdivision has a deadly mailbox! All the mailbox's the home builders built are brick are stone.Kind of makes me wonder why out of the hundreds of home's built with these mailboxes not one home inspector caught these death traps!!!
        The guy said he built the mailbox the way he did and “is still waiting on someone to hit it”. I took that as if he will be happy he won’t have a rickety ol wooden, $75 mailbox to replace anymore, with disregard to what could happen to someone’s car or someone. Like I said though I’m sure that wasn’t what he meant, hopefully.

And yes there actually are local rules that govern mailboxes, beyond the general recommendations. Obviously your subdivision is allowed to have those types of mailboxes, because you know, it’s a subdivision. How many brick mailboxes you see on the side of the FM road where people travel at higher speeds? Very few if any at all, probably because the local postmaster doesn’t allow it

Comment

Way to go on the mailbox OP! It looks great....AND safe!

Comment

Lol. Every Mailbox thread ever started on here has one or two folks who get hung up on "custom" built mailboxes being dangerous. My granddad owned a small trailer park back in the 80's for a retirement job. Out in the county, with each trailer having a couple of acres. It was pretty nice.

Some outlaws would come by about once a month and knock down the entire row of community mailboxes. Grandpa had one made out of steel pipe, and and steel plate and put it on the end row of about 8 mailboxes.

Gets a call one night from the Sheriff asking him come out to his property due to an accident with his mailboxes. Grandpa pulls up and see's some squad cars, his mailboxes looking pretty intact, except a slight bend and some silver paint missing from the new one he installed.

As he got closer, he noticed the 3 stoners sitting cuffed next to the deputies car, and their overturned VW beetle sitting in the other ditch.

The deputies thanked him, and asked if he wanted to be listed on the report to recoup any damages to his new, now VERY SLIGHTLY bent mailbox. As these guys were suspects in damaging a ton of mailboxes all over the county by hitting them with their car, for fun.

He declined and always said he felt they learned the intended lesson that particular night.
            Last edited by Bullydog; 12-30-2018, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Lol funny story Bullydog.
              New to TBH. Will know better than getting myself hung up expressing an opinion next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Houston4x4 View Post
                Well we had a college kid running from the cops drive through our front yard and run over our mailbox so I thought what a time for a new fun project
                All done! I’m happy with the way it turned out hope it lasts for many years to come
                Attached Files

Comment

What'd you stain the wood with? Came out great!

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
                      What'd you stain the wood with? Came out great!
                      I didn’t stain it I burned it with a torch and I will seal it in about 6 months

Comment

Ah interesting. I like how that turned out.

Comment

Great idea!

Comment

Thank you if anyone wants one ill make them one for a price ��

Comment

What is the 6 month wait for?

Comment

Originally posted by HUNTNETIME View Post
                                What is the 6 month wait for?
                                I'm pretty sure because its treated wood and needs to dry out.

Comment

Working...
                                X