X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tooth age please?

Thanks!!

Comment

Need more info. Where taken? On protein? Terrain and soil types? Typical food sources? Have a picture of the other side as well?

Too many variables above that needs answers to even guess.

Comment

I'd say 4.5. Lingual crests on 6 are still nice and sharp. Could also push 5.5 as well. I agree with above, though, depends on food sources.

Comment

I’m seeing 5.5. You can get a very accurate age by sending lower two middle incissor teeth in. There are several places and usually costs about $25

Comment

Milam county. Corn and browse. Medium sandy soil. Deer appeared to be 6+. Not the first one we've had that the teeth seem to age younger than we expected. Does A&M age teeth in College Station?
            Last edited by toledo; 12-22-2018, 04:42 PM.

Comment

I can see 6 in that deer. On my east Texas place he would be +\-7. On my west Texas place he would be 4-5.

Tooth wear is in no way an exact science. Always good to pair with what the deer looked like on the hoof.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                  I can see 6 in that deer. On my east Texas place he would be +\-7. On my west Texas place he would be 4-5.

Tooth wear is in no way an exact science. Always good to pair with what the deer looked like on the hoof.
                  Well said

Comment

We have to cut doe and buck jaw bones out for our lease and turn them in to biologist (25years) now. It’s a pain but educational. Looks 5.5 to me.

Comment

Originally posted by starn11gy View Post
                      We have to cut doe and buck jaw bones out for our lease and turn them in to biologist (25years) now. It’s a pain but educational. Looks 5.5 to me.
                      And then your biologist has to take a guess at how old the deer actually was. Its better than nothing but tooth aging sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                        And then your biologist has to take a guess at how old the deer actually was. Its better than nothing but tooth aging sucks.
                        Ain’t that the truth.

I don’t see eye to eye with out biologists assessment +40% of the time. We sent some incisors off last year for the annular test. Got the results back which were vastly different than his assessment.

His answer was to discredit the testing of the annular. Said if you are only paying $20-$30 a tooth for results, you ‘get what you pay for’. Thing is, in no st cases, he wasn’t off 1 year from this testing, but multiple years on what classify as mature deer.

Well, the MLDP is ‘free’, and he comes along with it, so I don’t know what to say.
                        Last edited by Greenheadless; 12-23-2018, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Good article.

Comment

Looks 4.5 to me

Comment

4-6 depending

Comment

Working...
                              X