Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Following as well.

Comment

I have one that my dad and I built. It's handy as a pocket on a shirt.

I think you'll want the rail to go across the back (at least, and assuming the tool box will provide a "lip" in the front), even if it's a tad lower than those along the sides. You'll end up riding around in the field with stuff on that rack that's not strapped, I promise. If your tailgate locks, you can secure everything in the bed.

Mine is 1" tubing with 3/4" expanded metal, ~5" rail all around. Two pieces of 2" angle run front to back, inside the rails. I have aluminum camper shell clamps that hold mine on, clamping the aforementioned angle iron to the bed rails.
      Last edited by Ouch; 12-20-2018, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
        I don't foresee having full coolers on the rack, normally its just for things that we carry to places like the beach like folding chairs, pop up canopys, fishing rods, etc. I will carry my kayaks in the bed of the truck underneath the rack. As far as weight is concerned I am not sure really on what my goal is. I am considering building a removable vertical brace that will attach to the underside of the rack in the middle and will extend downwards to rest on the truck bed. I could put it in place any time I'm expecting to have more weight on the rack and remove it when not needed.
        You'll put full coolers up there.

You shouldn't need the brace. I could throw a party on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouch View Post
          You'll put full coolers up there.

You shouldn't need the brace. I could throw a party on mine.

I’m interested into what you have. Can you post a photo of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have contemplated one of these except I wanted to go flush with the bed rails so I could lock the tailgate with it on and not have to worry about guns, bows, coolers etc. when I stop somewhere while traveling.

In to see the finished product.

Comment

I will ASAP. Not sure that I have any pics with it on the truck, but you'll get the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                I have contemplated one of these except I wanted to go flush with the bed rails so I could lock the tailgate with it on and not have to worry about guns, bows, coolers etc. when I stop somewhere while traveling.

In to see the finished product.

I would have like to do it that way but my 2 dog kennels stick up higher than the bed rails, which is the main reason I’m building this.

Comment

I need one of those!

Comment

Alright folks a friend of mine got me thinking...Diamondplate on the floor instead of expanded metal and also enclosing the sides with diamondplate. By doing this and locking my tailgate anything I have underneath would essentially be protected from theft. I could even enclose the rear (above the tailgate) with diamondplate but I would have to put it on a hinge where I could open it to fit my dog kennels in.

Comment

Now yer talkin..

Comment

Does your tool box sit on the rails or in the bed?

I will get some pics of mine this afternoon/evening.

Comment

I’m ready to see some pics of this thing

Comment

Maybe I missed it but how you going to hold it down? C Clamps

Comment

Originally posted by Ouch View Post
                              Does your tool box sit on the rails or in the bed?

I will get some pics of mine this afternoon/evening.

On the rail, it’s a narrow box...only about 12” wide

Comment

Originally posted by Smithwr View Post
                                Maybe I missed it but how you going to hold it down? C Clamps

Yes will build some clamps

Comment

Working...
                                X