No announcement yet.

New Ford ticking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just bought a 2018 4x4 V8 and mine whistles on initial acceleration as well, and when it’s idling I also hear the ticking

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
      You might be hearing the injectors if it’s got direct injection. Will it run on E85? Which engine do you have?
      My same thought as well. Direct Injection is notorious for this across every brand of vehicle.

Comment

I dont have a ford, but mine does it too. Its a common problem on the Ram pickups that there is a slight leak in the exhaust system around where the manifold collector joint connects to the down-pipe, and once it heats up it expands and seals the leak. Could be that or something similar. Could also be a pulley. Had a Chevy that did that.

Comment

My 2018 5.0 does the exact same thing. Took it to dealer and they said it was nothing and cranked 3 trucks on lot that did the exact same thing. If you find something different I’d like to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Im taking mine in tomorrow. So, are we just supposed to "live with" the noise? Seems like theres a lot of them making the noises. Just doesnt seem right for a brand new 50,000 dollar truck to make those noises. Does it?

Comment

A better sound on that 5.0 is heavy acceleration from a slow roll....Boy that Coyote can really yelp out an awesome growl!

Comment

Just to be sure, it’s not a rock or something else you may have picked up in the tire tread?

Comment

I didn't have the same truck, but the last half ton I had, until the oil warmed up, it had a slight tick. It was considered normal, and I never had an issue. My dad has the same engine I had, his still does it. Never been an issue. Take it in and verify it's all good, but don't worry about it too much.

Comment

Ive had the idle tick/click in my Fords in the past too. This really not a tick at idle and its not constant. When you slowly push on the gas, then let off, it does a short burst of clicking. Very short burst. Then it stops until you let off the accelerator, then it does the short click burst again. The whistle/whiny noise is constant though. Even sitting in idle. You can slowly mash on the pedal, and you can hear the the whistle slowly raise tone. Not a grinding. More of a whistle/whiny sound. haha. hard to explain with words. haha

Comment

Look up 'wastegate rattle' on youtube and see if that is your sound. Maybe that is only with the ecoboost, idk. I have a '17 F150 3.5 and I've never heard a truck with so many clicks, pops, rattles, whistles, and buzzes. It even buzzes when it's parked and I walk by it. Oh well, it's really fun to drive.

Comment

This started in 2018 with there new Plasma Arc coated cyl walls and there's lots of people complaining so far, from what I heard is that the coated cyl walls and there piston skirt clearances are the issue but I doubt Ford will do anything about it until motors start to blow up.

Comment

VCT issue probably. Variable cam timing is not just limited to Fords. Other mfgs have had issues as well. Disconnect the plug to the VCT and see if it stops. Sometimes a reflash of the PCM will solve it------------for a while.

Comment

Drive it like you stole it. Should be under warranty blow that sucker up! Just kidding hope they find the problem nothing like buying a new truck and having problems.

Comment

I know on the 2018 Mustang 5.0 Ford has been replacing engines with that tick. Many mustang owners with engine failure. As mentioned above its the Plasma arch cylinder wall.
                              Lots of new short blocks being replaced.

Comment

Mine has the sound of an exhaust leak ticking sound as well. That along with a constant whine and the transmission feels like it is going to fail at any minute. Only 8000 miles in......

Mine was built in Detroit. Co-worker has the exact same year/model built in Ohio I believe. No ticking or whining, but same transmission issues.
                                Last edited by Greenheadless; 01-11-2019, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X