New Ford ticking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Ford ticking

Just bought a 2018 F150 4x4 in December. Has about 1,500 miles so far. Happened to be driving real slow this morning with windows down. As you drive real slow and let off the gas, a short ticking clicking sound can be heard. I tried it all the way out of our neighborhood. Did it all the way out. Seemed to stop after the truck got warmed up on the hwy drive. Has anyone else heard this or had this problem? Any fix?
    Taking to the dealer in the morning. Just a little down about it. Havent had it a month and already taking it to the shop for check up. Got on a ford forum and it seems to be happening to a lot of 2018s with the 10 speed.

I can't hear well, but my 2012 5.0 had what sounded like lifter ticking for the 180K that I had it. The 2018 I currently have does the same. IDK what it is, but I wish it didn't.

Comment

Exhaust leak possibly. As it heats up, metal expands and the sound goes away. Wouldn't seem likely on a brand new truck though.

Comment

Thanks for the post. I just got a 2018 150. Ive put a little over 800 miles on it and haven't noticed what you are describing. Now I'll probably drive myself crazy trying to notice it.

Comment

Might be the electric fuel pump you are hearing.

Comment

Sorry Bull. I probably would have never noticed either if I hadnt been in drive through line getting dinner last night. First time I had driven any distance with windows down. Cant hear it with windows up. Then this morning, testing it again, just barely accelerating then letting off the gas, you can hear the short tick/click burst. Seemed to stop once truck got warmed up. I was really listening for the high pitched whistle sound i heard while accelerating. Ha Ha

Comment

My wife got a new Exped a few years ago and it started that tapping sound.

Sounded like the valves needed adjusting. They found metal shaving in the oil pan.

Could never find the exact problem.

Long story short Ford eventually replaced the entire engine.

It spent 8 of the first 12 months we had it in the shop.

Comment

Oh crap! Randy, that sucks. Thats not what i needed to hear. haha. Im taking it to the shop tomorrow. I just dont want them saying "well, thats the way they all sound" or "well, we dont hear it".

Comment

Originally posted by spotsanddots View Post
                  Oh crap! Randy, that sucks. Thats not what i needed to hear. haha. Im taking it to the shop tomorrow. I just dont want them saying "well, thats the way they all sound" or "well, we dont hear it".
                  Sorry to spook you, maybe I should have kept my story to myself.

I've heard others just like hers making the same sound and they are still going down the road.

Comment

You might be hearing the injectors if it’s got direct injection. Will it run on E85? Which engine do you have?

Comment

This doesnt seem to be affecting the operation of the truck, its just not supposed to sound like that. i dont want it to get worse and turn into something major and end up like your wifes expedition.

Comment

This is common on many 2018 5.0’s. Ford has a TSB for it.

You may also notice a knocking sound at idle, also common/normal. You will also eventually hear a squeal when the truck shifts from 1st to 3rd. Also considered normal.

You can either take it in now or just have Ford do all the TSB and recall (frozen door latch and seat belt) at your first oil change.

So far I really like my 2018 5.0. Like the 10sp transmission. But dangit if these trucks don’t sound like absolute crap at idle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

10 speed
                          Its brand new. Just got it Dec 15.

Comment

I have a 15 5.0 and my truck does it too. 71K miles so far no issues, I just ignore it.

Comment

I read some of those ford forums too. A TON said that TSB deal didnt solve the problem at all. And yep, I have that whistle/whine upon acceleration, as gears are shifting and it does seem to be worse on the first 3 shifts. My wife said it sounds like a mini jet whistling on take off. So, is that just the way they are "supposed" to sound? Just something gotta live with? Just doesnt seem right.

Comment

Working...
                              X