I got a ticket rant...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That seriously stinks.

Obviously knowing it's unfair, but I write moments like these up as I'm being challenged and tested to see how I will deal with it and what example I will set for family and others.

For me, I've earned just barely enough wisdom to know that if I can move on it makes my life better, family happier, and me a better person.

That said, I also choose to engage in the debate, fight, or whatever if I can't get over it or let it go.

Good Luck to you Sir.
    Last edited by tigerscowboy; 01-11-2019, 09:26 AM.

Comment

the only thing more frustrating to me than government is the government workers' attitudes.
      LOL! You'd have the same attitude as the workers if you worked for the government.

Comment

IF this happened to me: I would not get angry over it, but out of principle I would take this to court even if it cost me more than the $22 fee. It is the principle of the matter. I have done this in the past and it cost me $200 more than the fine. But the feeling you get when the Judge dismisses the ticket in front of me and the "accuser" makes it all worth it.

Comment

try this on.
          get arrested, charged, pay bail, get a lawyer and a month later they drop charges. you're out $10,000 and your just SOL

Comment

I would talk to the DA first, then if nothing is done set up a trial date. I think there is cost requesting a jury trial, but the judge should be able to hear and dismiss.

Comment

That does suck, but it is only a small fee. But, I understand the frustration. As I keep getting a red light ticket notification in the mail they think I am going to pay. Not knowing who was actually driving just ticketing me because I own the vehicle.

Comment

I may be mistaken because I’ve been retired for quite sometime, but I’m pretty sure the process for filling a complaint or dispute is outlined on the citation. In any event if it’s not the process can all be done on the DPS website with little or no inconvenience to the citizens. If most of you knew how close DPS officers are scrutinized you would probably wonder why anyone would want the job.

Comment

I'm so mad for you. I can't even type. Nor can I post what I first wrote.

Comment

Contact his Sgt. You may have to have a one on one meeting with him about this, but it is the right way to get the ticket handled. If this is what you can show to him, the ticket should have never been written. Period. This is not "getting the trooper in trouble" it is correcting an incorrect approach to issuing a citation, based on a computer update. Back in "the day" it took a week or more for registrations to be entered. As a 30 year (now retired) trooper, I have seen all kinds of things happen. I have had people come in and we, as in the the Sgt., the violator and I sat down with the law book and verified why a citation or violation was found. Had it happen on warnings when people didn't understand something. I hope this works out because it does not seem like this citation was properly issued. The registration sticker also has the plate number as well.

There are usually two types of enforcement approaches. The way we were taught decades ago is "if you were unsure, don't write it". The other is "I am not sure,so I better write it". The latter philosophy is the one that always come back to bite you as an officer.
                    Last edited by Guardian Reaper; 01-11-2019, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                      I think I would be calling the county attorney or the DA and talking to them about that. Surely they can have all charges dropped.

You said trooper - this was a Texas State Trooper or was it a local LEO? Most troopers are smarter than that.
                      TX DPS, Trooper. I might try a call to the DA just to see what they have to say.

Comment

Just to give another angle to the situation:
                        There are tons and tons of illegal inspection/registration stickers out there. They can be bought at lots of shady places. Because the new registration did not show up in the system, the trooper may well be following protocol to issue a citation with the understanding that if what the OP says is true it will be dismissed. The trooper would NOT know about some stupid 'dismissal fee'.
                        On the other hand, the clerk is ENTIRELY out of line in saying 'nothing could be done'. A public servant with access to the state's system could easily see when the registration was paid and when the ticket was issued. They could then backtrack with the appropriate agencies and have the ticket dismissed without some 'fee'. Too many public servants won't work outside the box because it inconveniences them.

Comment

In the grand scheme of things it’s only $28, but it’s also $28 that I shouldn’t have to pay to begin with. As much as I would like to go to court over it I think it’s in my best interest to stop the bleeding and just pay it. To go to court will cost me more time and money, and it will cost all of us (tax payers) in the long run. I’m not usually a “letter writer” but I think I will send a letter to the trooper’s supervisor. Actually I think I should send it to the county clerk’s office where I renewed my registration, that may be where the problem started. At any rate, I think it will be less aggravation to just pay it and be done. And like kparker158 Said, focus on the positives!

I will check to see if there is a complaint procedure on the ticket too. If there is I'll follow that. I "appeared" before the date I was supposed to so the clerk said I had met that obligation, I just need to find out how much time I have to pay the fee. I would assume whether it's dismissed by the clerk or by appearing in court I'm still going to have to pay the fee and/or court costs.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                            I would talk to the DA first, then if nothing is done set up a trial date. I think there is cost requesting a jury trial, but the judge should be able to hear and dismiss.

Not likely for the judge to overturn the LEO but a jury will [emoji106]

Comment

Older truck, sticker date doesn’t match date the driver date the driver said it was purchased on and no record of tag in the computer.

You reckon the officer suspected it was a black market sticker?

Comment

Originally posted by Cazador View Post
                                In the grand scheme of things it’s only $28, but it’s also $28 that I shouldn’t have to pay to begin with. As much as I would like to go to court over it I think it’s in my best interest to stop the bleeding and just pay it. To go to court will cost me more time and money, and it will cost all of us (tax payers) in the long run. I’m not usually a “letter writer” but I think I will send a letter to the trooper’s supervisor. Actually I think I should send it to the county clerk’s office where I renewed my registration, that may be where the problem started. At any rate, I think it will be less aggravation to just pay it and be done. And like kparker158 Said, focus on the positives!

I will check to see if there is a complaint procedure on the ticket too. If there is I'll follow that. I "appeared" before the date I was supposed to so the clerk said I had met that obligation, I just need to find out how much time I have to pay the fee. I would assume whether it's dismissed by the clerk or by appearing in court I'm still going to have to pay the fee and/or court costs.
                                Dangit what a waste of a slam dunk win. Trooper 1 Cazador 0

j/k sorry this happened to you.

Comment

Working...
                                X