No announcement yet.

Deer University - Culling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't hunt anywhere where I feed deer, so that isn't a factor.

If a population reaches carrying capacity, shooting bucks has little to no effect on population-shooting does does.

I quit culling for two main reasons:
    1. Does carry as much of the genetics-I can't tell which carry what

2. Fawn buck dispersal

Culling outside of high-fence is Texas' participation trophy in a culture where killing deer for the sake of killing deer isn't cool enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
      We have way more bucks than does. Every property is different.
      Without a high fence? It must be a very large property.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
        Without a high fence? It must be a very large property.
        Low fence. 1150 acres. I’ve been on a few different properties that was this way. It’s not uncommon.

Comment

Originally posted by BrokenJ View Post
          Future? Focus on current. If population is high kill both. Does need to die as well. I also said above think on an individual basis if he's not making grade, in whatever the criteria makes him a cull, take him out. I would much rather have too much natural resources for the remain herd. Rather than too little for an entire population, including the low end of every younger age class of bucks.
          How many deer, by percentage, of the current population of a free range ranch can you kill? The answer is normally a very low percentage of the overall herd. Therefore, if you want to effect the overall herd numbers you have to do it by reducing the number of breeding does over a long time period.

Comment

Low fence. 1150 acres. I’ve been on a few different properties that was this way. It’s not uncommon.
            Interesting.

What method are y'all using to establish buck to doe ratio?

I have seen a few places that claimed to have way more bucks than does, but that was only based on what they were observing at feeders and didn't bare out when they used sound survey methods.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
              Interesting.

What method are y'all using to establish buck to doe ratio?

I have seen a few places that claimed to have way more bucks than does, but that was only based on what they were observing at feeders and didn't bare out when they used sound survey methods.
              Trail cameras on and off feeders. Visual around property day and night. Annual deer surveys.

Comment

ive got a 3:1 buck to doe ratio.
                well I did before the season anyway, ill have to see how things pan out over the next couple months

Comment

Deer University - Culling

I just started hunting 13 years ago, and it is interesting to see how this conversation has evolved in that time. I think the general movement these days is away from culling.

I love to keep track of deer from year to year. 6.5 plus years plus seems to be where you need to get the deer for peak antlers. But aging those suckers isn’t an exact science. A lot of times deer go downhill too. Sure is fun to go from year to year and have something to look forward too. Whatever pits antlers on your wall and venison in the ice chest. I don’t think there is a “one size fits all.”

Comment

In the talk that the OP referenced I really liked the biologist, Donnie Traeger's summary re culling for antlers:'"Stop it, just stop it..!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                      Becuase say you have 10 does standing there ready to breed. How many does get breed by the 130, 140 and 150" deer? If you don't have the 130 and 140 they all get breed by the 150. In this example we are talking same age class. I'm not discrediting the podcast or any research being done but I know a 3000 acre low fence place just outside of Brady that has been leased for 25 years and they cull heavily. They also shoot 160 to 170 inch deer regularly. Every few years they shoot a 180 to 190 inch deer. Not saying it's only from culling as they feed protein heavy too but there aren't a bunch smaller deer eating and breeding.
                      I agree mostly with this as long as you have a healthy balanced herd with plenty of mature Trophy bucks.I guess what a cull is ,is subjective,you'll never convince me taking a 120" 4yr old isn't doing your herd justice if your trying to improve genetics.My skin crawls when a inferior 3yr old is running does though,I don't understand how someone can say a 160"(at any age) wouldnt better your genetics ,not everytime as the doe is 50% but as a whole,in the long run.To many leases doing this and it produces results.
                      Last edited by TXDUCKCUTTER; 01-10-2019, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Rob Hall (wildlife biologist) told me in the 90's that the best management practice was "to not shoot anything". What he meant was let them all walk and shoot the top end old bucks. You never know when that 4yo 8pt is a 160+ 10pt when he's 7yo.

Comment

Originally posted by asu-indian View Post
                          Rob Hall (wildlife biologist) told me in the 90's that the best management practice was "to not shoot anything". What he meant was let them all walk and shoot the top end old bucks. You never know when that 4yo 8pt is a 160+ 10pt when he's 7yo.
                          I'd never shoot a deer if I had to wait for any one.of them to reach 5,6,7. Never going to see one that old.
                          I'd venture to guess that the vast majority of deer leases are less than 500 acres and low fenced and the vast majority of them would never see a 6-7 y/o even if they really tried

Comment

Honest question-how many have their mind made up and expressed their opinion have read the initial results of the study or even listened to the podcast? I'm curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There’s really no debate anymore that all other things being equal, shooting deer in a single herd wild setting based on antler traits has no measurable impact on the antler size of ensuing cohorts of deer.

Comment

Trail cameras on and off feeders. Visual around property day and night. Annual deer surveys.
                                I’d be willing to bet if you flew it your results would be different.

Comment

Working...
                                X