• Show
Clear All

Nothing moving, not even a bird.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Pulling for you this morning.

Rwc

Comment

I know everyone talks about first point being a challenging hunt because the deer are smart but it sure seems like hunters are not seeing many deer at all. Is it still green down there? Are deer numbers down? Best of luck to you on the remainder of your hunt, been following along this entire thread.

Comment

Originally posted by stickman View Post
          I know everyone talks about first point being a challenging hunt because the deer are smart but it sure seems like hunters are not seeing many deer at all. Is it still green down there? Are deer numbers down? Best of luck to you on the remainder of your hunt, been following along this entire thread.
          Here is what I think for what it is worth.

It is a big place with that said they put a bunch of hunters through that place ea year. Which equals lots of pressure and lots of people driving around in the pastures looking for trails, scrapes and rubs. Deer are smart especially the big boys! Its like I tell my father in law and brother in law, when the dog has to go wherever they go and sit in the blind etc. I complain and they say we see deer every time and then I say when is the last time you shot a trophy??? Silence.

Anyway on a side note I have been on a few briscoe ranches in the past and dealt with them and one of them doesn't like bow hunters or outfitters so it blows my mind that they allow first point to exist?? Not bitching just confused, its their ranch it just is not consistent with other ranches of theirs in the same area.

I just think by this time of year they bucks are hiding. And I am sure that lack of strict management doesn't help. I sure their are many bucks shot that shouldn't be.

Comment

It's a tough place to hunt. The deer are highly pressured and have gotten very smart because of it.

Comment

Like most of texas the abundance of rain has the deer moving very little. On most private leases it has been slow. Add alot more hunting pressure and the deer dang sure won't move much if food is everywhere. When the deer are more hungry it can be a good place to hunt. When they don't have to move much for food, water or love then your chances of seeing much are very slim.
              For most that enjoy the tough day leases its about the hunt rather than the kill. Spilling blood is just icing on the cake. Also for some its a chance to hunt big whitetails in the stx brush country that can't afford a stx lease or have the availability to put time into a stx lease yr round.

Comment

Originally posted by kactuskiller View Post
                like most of texas the abundance of rain has the deer moving very little. On most private leases it has been slow. Add alot more hunting pressure and the deer dang sure won't move much if food is everywhere. When the deer are more hungry it can be a good place to hunt. When they don't have to move much for food, water or love then your chances of seeing much are very slim.
                For most that enjoy the tough day leases its about the hunt rather than the kill. Spilling blood is just icing on the cake. Also for some its a chance to hunt big whitetails in the stx brush country that can't afford a stx lease or have the availability to put time into a stx lease yr round.
                x2 👍👍

Comment

It all comes down to money and apparently everyone is paying and getting paid enough money to be happy.

As far as not seeing deer. Deer sightings and harvest numbers are down all over. The Chap WMA is way behind on harvest quotas and deer sightings.

The deer are still here and at the Chap they are just choosing to eat other things besides corn.

Heres a picture from Tuesday. The next night there wasn't a deer on the road all night.

Comment

Nice, just getting to hunt and enjoy the land is worth every penny of it ....

Comment

Trying out a Christmas present. Does anybody know how long the standard battery lasts?

Comment

Originally posted by Sideler View Post
                        Trying out a Christmas present. Does anybody know how long the standard battery lasts?
                        Dont have that model but my battery typically lasts about 5-6hrs.

Comment

Originally posted by stickemhard3 View Post
                          Dont have that model but my battery typically lasts about 5-6hrs.
                          This^^^

Comment

First point was brutal this year. Went 3 different times and saw a total of 6 deer on stand out of 12 days... and I’ve hunted there for like 9 years. I hope it’s just that everything is so green and not because of a die off some have talked about.

Comment

I had a shooter come in about 6. I would have shot him as an 8 but not as a 9 or 10. I was stupid and didnt take my binos to the stand, so I let him walk.

Comment

He was an 8.

Comment

Working...
                                X