Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trapping deer at Land’s End golf course on Lake Fork.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m not a fan of feeding deer or hunting fed deer, but after getting word about the trapping,I started feeding in an effort to lure some deer away from the subdivision. As you can see, corn is like crack to a deer. These deer are less than 15 yards from me, off my back porch. Some of the landowners in the subdivision have been feeding for years, and have concentrated the deer, creating their own “overpopulation” problem. There is plenty of space north of the golf course for the deer to spread and be controlled by hunting.

Comment

The neighbors WANT them.... but with a ultra “safe space” and feed they stay concentrated there. Easy to grasp concept

ANY “biologist “, cough coughthat thinks they can control an open ranged animals numbers on small acres is a bafoon. A high fence is essential to control the situation..... but I’m no “biologist “

Comment

Interesting takes on this

Comment

Well, the above pic kind of tells the story. If that's your back yard, and your property isn't even where the most deer are, you plainly have too many deer. The pic shows 14 deer and if I remember correctly, you only have 15 acres. If those deer (and others) are spending most of the time on your place, that's a density of 1.1 acres per deer, a ridiculously high deer density and much higher than any habitat can support. Even with the extra feeding, it is impossible to not see declines in habitat and animal health at those densities. Besides, I'm sure the goal isn't to eradicate the deer, just thin them out some. There are many articles in the literature on how archery hunts are ineffective at controlling deer numbers. It does increase hunter opportunity, and is successful usually at getting some deer killed, but never works to accomplish the goal of regulating deer numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
            The way I look at it, is that these deer are just as much mine as they are the landowners in Land’s End.
            You look at it wrongly. The deer belong to the state of Texas, that is indisputable.

If the determination is based on sound science and biologist recommendation then our opinions of it are about as valid as PETA protesting grizzly de-listing.

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
              Well, the above pic kind of tells the story. If that's your back yard, and your property isn't even where the most deer are, you plainly have too many deer. The pic shows 14 deer and if I remember correctly, you only have 15 acres. If those deer (and others) are spending most of the time on your place, that's a density of 1.1 acres per deer, a ridiculously high deer density and much higher than any habitat can support. Even with the extra feeding, it is impossible to not see declines in habitat and animal health at those densities. Besides, I'm sure the goal isn't to eradicate the deer, just thin them out some. There are many articles in the literature on how archery hunts are ineffective at controlling deer numbers. It does increase hunter opportunity, and is successful usually at getting some deer killed, but never works to accomplish the goal of regulating deer numbers.
              Rocky average deer herd without corn in a few, every now and then

Go just 3/4 mile north of him and deer numbers ave average at best for East Texas

Go 2 miles north and it’s a crap shoot to see one. Same habitat.

They have DRAWN these deer in and created the problem. They will scatter and balance themselves if left alone

I honestly see people feed them in back yard so “they don’t eat front yard”..... there is PLENTY of habitat surrounding that is below capacity for these deer they have sucked in... THEY sucked in

Comment

Rocky are you saying that there are those in society who's views and actions cause their own problems? Then when things go wrong they have enough money and influence with a government entity to manipulate the situation to benefit them, even if it is to the detriment of their taxpaying neighbors? Afterwards the press gets it all wrong because they don't do their job and they too are influenced buy these people? Sounds kind of "Swampy" to me.

Land's end has a HOA. They can stop the feeding if they want. It's also on a peninsula and could easily be fenced on one side to solve the problem once an for all. Otherwise this will be a recurring problem costing more $$.

Sounds like you have tried to resolve this in the past with reason, going about it the right way. That is not a successful strategy in the Swamp.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
                  I wish to heck I could remember the name of the subdivision near San Antonio that did this back in the 90's. A trapper was called in to relocate the deer that were just all over the place down there. The retired folks that lived there were hand feeding some big un's and all was well until two things happened. 1) Several folks were attacked by the deer getting to the corn bucket or when the home owners tried to "shoo" them out of their gardens, I guess they just lost their fear of people. 2) A few guys were caught using bows to take deer out of their back yards.

In some instances trapping and relocating makes sense.

Richard
                  I bet it happens in a bunch of subdivisions in SA, but that exact scenario happened in Elm Creek where I grew up. They had these massive nets they'd put fruit and vegetables under and release when the deer showed up. At least 1-2 people got caught trying to bow hunt in the greenbelts every year. Tons of stud bucks because the neighborhood was completely HF'd and they had nowhere to go.

Comment

They trap deer on a lot of subdivisions in San Antonio and horseshoe Bay. I buddy does this. All the deer are taken to a processor and given to the needy. Don’t see a problem with it. Deer belong to the state. They can do as they want with them.

Comment

In fairness to the "they've created the problem" argument, while that's true, they've also created the massive deer population around rocky's place if what Low Fence says is correct about the native population everywhere else.

Comment

I live about 20 miles south in Van Zandt county. As a kid we had no deer to speak of around here but now just about any place with decent habitat has at least a few. The biggest reason we don't have more deer around here is because we have a coyote behind every tree. I am pretty sure the problem at Lake Fork is 2 fold. Feeding the deer and also the lack of coyotes in the subdivision. The way I see it is they caused their own problem. If they want it fixed it should be on them and should not involve any tax payer money. Other than that I don't care what they do. Now if they wanted to just relocate the deer I would be much more interested but only because I have some places they could release them....LOL.

-john

Comment

Some of you guys criticizing Rocky’s view would feel the exact same way if this were happening near your land.

Comment

I worked at Links at Lands End in College 15yrs ago and there were not that many deer there, but there were not all that many houses either. If you have more and more houses causing more and more deer to be present that tells you all you need to know about what is causing the influx of deer numbers. THE HOMEOWNERS - Pretty simple solution really. Put in place a no feeding the deer rule and fine the heck out of anybody caught doing so. TPWD shouldn't argue that if they get in on the conversation because that is EXACTLY what they have done with the majority of their state parks locations. They realized years ago the negative effects of wild animals becoming not so wild animals that would eat bread out of your hand in their state parks and put a stop to it.
                            Last edited by Codie; 01-09-2019, 10:06 AM.

Comment

I agree 100% with rocky and low fence this is rediculous! Over half the people that live at Lands End feed them non stop! I understand if they want to relocate some of them, but to kill them and feed them to convicts/inmates come on! I have a place that I would love for them to relocate! For them to say malnutritioned is completely stupid! There are P&Y bucks running around the course everywhere and for them to say the horns are crap is a complete lie! Yeah there may be some deer that are dying but it because they prolly don't have a tooth left in their head to eat. What a shame!

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                                Why do we not have a say in this matter?
                                Maybe it's because you don't live there.

Comment

Working...
                                X