Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trapping deer at Land’s End golf course on Lake Fork.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ar

Should help the antler size of your deer

Comment

Trappers lives matter.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
        Yes. Not my deer technically, but deer that frequent my property.
        whats the difference in them trapping deer that frequent your property and someone building a high fence around their land, essentially preventing deer from frequenting your property?

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
          What you’ve missed. 8-9 years ago, when this issue first surfaced, the then president of the HOA came to me and asked if I could implement a program to harvest 12-15 deer from the subdivision. At that time, HOA rules did not allow the discharge of firearms. I recruited women from the archery shop to have an opportunity at bowkilling these deer. Shot down by TPWD biologist. Landowners combined property to create MLD level 1 and shot 30-35 deer for 3 years with rifles. New TPWD regulations prevent this subdivision from qualifying for MLD. Now, they hire trapper with company biologist that coordinates with TPWD biologist to backdoor MLD and trap and kill deer in subdivision affecting surrounding landowners. Why do we not have a say in this matter?
          Honestly, it sounds like the HOA president tried to do the right thing, and TPWD is the issue. You two should be on the same team, and going after TPWD on the news. A headline of TPWD blocks ethical population control of deer would go a lot further than neighboring LO disagrees with HOA president.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
            Well I guess they changed then. When they were trapped in HSB they went to anthrax kill areas. State came and trapped 200 off ex inlaws to go to anthrax area. That's been several yes ago. I participated in severL of those at their ranch
            We received a lot of trapped deer. We are in anthrax area. It's good deal the vac8nated deer ect.

Comment

Having lived here my whole life and seeing the situation at lands end it’s an easy fix that the “haves” can’t grasp

(And there are no, zero, not a single malnutrition issues and deformed deer there. None)

1. Quit feeding the &@$%ing deer. QUIT. they will go away.... they can walk. I’ve seen em do it
              That would reduce numbers alone to the point of “coexistence “

2. Spend your money on a high fence. It’s a peninsula.... so that will help with cost. Fence em out and stick it with unicorns or something that doesn’t effect surrounding land owner. This is the one and only way I would support a one time trapping

They created their problem

Comment

Originally posted by tef View Post
                They have the same issue at Holly Lake Ranch golf course. They were allowing a small group of bowhunters to shoot as many as they could. It was working out really well, not sure if they are still doing it. Rocky, you may want to get some info on that to counter with.
                That must have been a long long time ago, no hunting allowed at Holly Lake... They had the same type slaughter not to long ago. Paid an outrageous amount to have it done as well. They could have raised money with a draw system or selling tags to allow bowhunters to hunt. There is enough property uninhabitable there that no one would even notice. I hunted hogs along the river while I lived there, it wasn't unusual to hear gun shots either. It's a shame they let the population get to that point, goes to show that hunting and conservation go hand in hand.

Comment

They did the same thing at Cape Royal on Lake Livingston, the cost after a couple years changed the minds of those paying the bills. They now have draw hunts throughout the season with certain rules that seems to be working for them.

Comment

I don't understand why in these situations the TPWD, HOA or any other governing entity does not come down on the idiots feeding the deer?

The deer are not coming there to eat shrubs, they are coming for the idiot that spreads a 50# bag of corn out on their lawn and then quits or misses a few days and the deer browse the shrubs in the neighbors yards

Kyle hit the nail on the head, high fence them out.

Probably cheaper than what they are doing AND it does not involve my taxes (TPWD biologist)

Comment

Sounds like the idiots in my neighborhood that complain about coyotes in their back yard and post pictures on next door and in the same picture is a deer feeder. Boy, I wonder why those coyotes are hanging around.

Comment

We have a bunch of idiots where Im at that do the same thing Mayhem, they don't believe that coyotes can kill deer. All mountain lions according to them. I gave up trying. I also don't feed and the deer won't hang around my property vary long. Other neighbors complain, then I drive by and they're out there feeding the deer. People are half baked, I swear.

We had a bout of hoof and mouth a few years ago that took out a bunch of the deer, no-one learned anything from that either. Sometimes you just have to let things happen.

Comment

Hollywood Park

I went with a well known trapper that was contracted by TPWD to Hollywood Park in San Antonio a couple of times around 2005 and loaded up trailers full of deer. Some of the deer that died were brought to a slaughterhouse and sent to feed the needy. The others we brought to a ranch designated by TPWD and released them. This was all done under with game wardens present, and any property owners that interfered were ticketed.

Comment

A fence would help for sure. My family and I drove to Orlando this past Thanksgiving and I noticed a "high" fence as soon as we passed into Florida on both sides of the road. 100 miles later I noticed the same fence on both sides of the road. My wife did a little research and the state paid to have this fence built to "protect" cars on the road and create a deterrent for deer crossing the highway. They had such an over populated area that it was a hazard to the travelers going through the state that the Highway was labeled as a "Danger" which was a deterrent for humans to go to the State. So they spent Millions on this fence and it for the most part was successful. I didnt see 1 deer on the side of the road while driving though those areas (which I was bumed about). This would work for communities as well.

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter View Post
                              whats the difference in them trapping deer that frequent your property and someone building a high fence around their land, essentially preventing deer from frequenting your property?
                              Nothing, but as of now, there is no fence and the deer are free range but are concentrated on the tip of the peninsula due to feeding. In this case, a fence would be to keep deer out, and would actually increase the population outside the fence. I doubt the homeowners would open to a high fence, and due to deer being able to swim from the other peninsula at the mouth of Littlle Caney, it wouldn’t be long before the subdivision would repopulate.

Comment

Posted for rocky-
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X