Property taxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
    If property values are up that means economy is good and people are making more money so the government makes more.. But it's the same. Sort of like if you get a 5% raise but inflation that year was up 5% you're really not making more money.
    Balancing a checkbook is not the same as an economy.
    Situation....
    You buy your house that is worth 100k @ 3% tax so $300k per year
    You make $50k when you bought said house.
    3 years later you get a promotion and make $150k and folks flood your city.
    Your house is now worth 200k but the city can only increase your taxable value by 10% so instead of $6k taxes the city gets $3300 from you.
    The city needs to hire more staff because of all the additional people in the area but now the city must offer more money to entice new talent.

Thus increasing the city's budget but the tax base isn't keeping up Because you're not paying your fair share of taxable value on your $200k home.

This is a very simplistic view but how things can happen.
    Think about those homes in Garden Oaks/Oaks Forest that have had residents in them for 30 years But the city can't get the full value for property taxes because the residents have been in there so long or they are over 65 and get exemptions.

I understand and feel your pain
    Only thing we can do is ditch the property tax and go to income tax but then folks will complain that welfare queens don't pay their share

Maybe do a 2% income tax and halve all of the property tax rates so we can hit all angles

Comment

Let’s keep this real. This isn’t just about we need money to pay for policemen and firefighters!
      That is the go to for many tax minded liberals.

What has changed in Texas in the last 20 years? Why are schools so burdened? Why do we need more public services? Why are are states health facilities strained so much?

Almost 1 in every 3 babies born in this state are born of illegal immigrants.
      That is not taking into account people coming here illegally.

Yes you are right about one thing ...... it’s SIMPLE MATH.

Comment

My dad just bought a RV and claims Texas as his home state. No property tax and no income tax. Colorado in the summer and Texas in the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TXHunter12 View Post
          Let’s keep this real. This isn’t just about we need money to pay for policemen and firefighters!

What has changed in Texas in the last 20 years? Why are schools so burdened? Why do we need more public services? Why are are states health facilities strained so much?

How many illegal immigrants (those without usa birth certificates) are we educating in our schools?
          I know one thing that ticks me off is the pre-k situation.
          It's only available to esl students and then if there is space available they take poor English speaking kids.
          But the roads I houston are crahp and I'd pay $50 more per year to have extremely smooth roads and streets that don't flood.

HISD just built a bunch of brand new schools. That's where property tax money goes.

Oh. And those illegal immigrants come here to build our $120k entry level homes
          Without illegal immigration the cheapest brand new home will be $200k

Comment

Originally posted by TXHunter12 View Post

You are absolutely right.

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
              How many illegal immigrants (those without usa birth certificates) are we educating in our schools?
              I know one thing that ticks me off is the pre-k situation.
              It's only available to esl students and then if there is space available they take poor English speaking kids.
              But the roads I houston are crahp and I'd pay $50 more per year to have extremely smooth roads and streets that don't flood.

HISD just built a bunch of brand new schools. That's where property tax money goes.

Oh. And those illegal immigrants come here to build our $120k entry level homes
              Without illegal immigration the cheapest brand new home will be $200k
              Ideally you'd have more money in your pocket to buy the 200k home if the economy wasn'tsupporting extra illegals though. Not to say gov't wouldn't find a way to keep household cashflow down.
              Look at it this way.
              Gov't tax income has grown exponentially.
              Wages have stayed roughly flat accouning for inflation.
              Alot of that money they take is justified on all kinds of welfare and bloated work budgets. Govt work budgets won't change, but you can at least take away one part of that justification equation.

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
                LOL. The estate tax exemption is now $11 million. I'd wager fewer than 20 people on the green screen will get hit with that.
                You sound just like Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez. If only 20 people on TBH have to pay, who cares? Stick it to the wealthy, right?

Why should anyone get hit with a tax when they die? I'd love to have the kind of money where that becomes a problem but where's the justification for the state to collect upon a death?

Comment

Read this article from 2010!
                  Read the names including McCain, Gramm, etc!
                  9 years ago and nothing!

As Republican members of Congress press for changes to the 14th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, preventing automatic citizenship for babies born to...

It is no surprise why our property taxes are high!

We can thank Rick Perry, GW Bush, and I’m thinking we can add Abbot to the list for doing very little to stop this!

Comment

All taxes are out of control it's why we the people need to get control of our representation in DC... We are being had by our congress. We should not have to support people that don't want to work. Welfare should not be how people make a living.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                      All taxes are out of control it's why we the people need to get control of our representation in DC... We are being had by our congress. We should not have to support people that don't want to work. Welfare should not be how people make a living.
                      What about farmers that we pay not to farm?
                      And DC only addresses federal income taxes.
                      What about the localized county taxes?
                      State sales taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
                        You sound just like Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez. If only 20 people on TBH have to pay, who cares? Stick it to the wealthy, right?
                        Or maybe I sound like Adam Smith, Thomas Paine, and Thomas Jefferson, who believed large inheritances fly in the face of capitalist meritocracies.

When massive amounts of familial wealth can be transferred from one generation to next without any taxation, then you have an aristocracy in everything but name. It's for the same reasons the founding fathers abolished primogeniture and titles.

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
                        Why should anyone get hit with a tax when they die? I'd love to have the kind of money where that becomes a problem but where's the justification for the state to collect upon a death?
                        The same justification for every other tax we pay: because the constitution allows for it.

But consider that most people with great enough assets to be subject to an estate tax will have lawyers smart enough avoid paying much in taxes by using all manner of loopholes like Grantor Retained Annuity Trusts. Not to mention, the average estate tax rate (again, this is only for estates over $11 million) is 17%. Forgive me for not weeping for the losses of these inheritors.

Comment

More people move in, more services needed, more properties to tax, more tax money. Simple math. Absolutely no reason to raise tax rates themselves.

I don't like it, but understand property value increases, I fight every chance I get to ensure it is correct and fair.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                            The only way it would go away is with a state income tax, which would be worse!
                            ^^^^^

Totally Agree

Comment

So if we inherit a house from my father in law when he passes (~$300K), I won’t have to pay an inheritance/death tax on it? I was under the impression I’d have to pay a chunk of change.

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                                With no property tax we thus need an income tax.
                                Or would you like a VAT of around 40% on everything you buy?

School teachers and policemen need to be paid somehow, right?
                                Some how I'm not surprised you're ok with high taxes. Somebody has to pay to pay for the free healthcare Ponzi scheme to garnish votes for the Democratic Party.

Say again why waller co idsd needs a 87 million dollar football stadium? UFB!

Comment

Working...
                                X