No announcement yet.

I passed him - should I have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also it’s interesting how different pics can make them look bigger and bulkier body size wise. This one makes him look younger to me.

Comment

Good buck .... great patience.
      Hope everyone on your lease agrees with letting him walk.

Comment

good decision I'm my opinion

Comment

Very good pass. he blew up this year and should again next year.

5.5 is my age I get them to on LF places

Comment

good deal but not sure I could pass.

Comment

You da man! Bucks peak at 6-7 yrs.

One of the biggest problems with most parts of Texas producing top quality bucks is people's unwillingness to pass up the best ones before they are fully mature. This unwittingly leads to "defensive hunting", that is, if I don't shoot him - my neighbor will. It only takes one neighbor to break that trend. Well done! I hope you will be justly rewarded, and that more hunters will follow suit.

No 170" deer ever made it to 170 without surviving being a 150.

I'd call him 4

Comment

He has a really cool throat patch as well! Just noticed that after looking at this thread 20 times!

Comment

Dang, after looking at video I'd call him 3 yrs. I'm not trying to lose credibility there, just being honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                    Dang, after looking at video I'd call him 3 yrs. I'm not trying to lose credibility there, just being honest.
                    Seriously? 3.5 this year? Not a chance

Comment

Originally posted by 2coolforschool View Post
                      Seriously? 3.5 this year? Not a chance
                      Did you watch the video?

Comment

Id bet the farm 5.5. I have a deer that I raised and many others on our land Ive been fortunate to watch grow up and get old. Many pics at many different ages. Im confident in saying 5.5. Also bucks dont necessarily peak at 6-7 as mentioned above. Ive seen them peak closer to 10-11 sometimes. Other times ive seen them top out around 5. Was it a good pass? Well that depends on the size of your place, whether or not youre surrounded by hunters, management goals, emptiness of your freezer, and last but probably most important, your heart rate when he was in front of you. Hes a really pretty buck!

Comment

Originally posted by stringmusic View Post
                          Id bet the farm 5.5. I have a deer that I raised and many others on our land Ive been fortunate to watch grow up and get old. Many pics at many different ages. Im confident in saying 5.5. Also bucks dont necessarily peak at 6-7 as mentioned above. Ive seen them peak closer to 10-11 sometimes. Other times ive seen them top out around 5. Was it a good pass? Well that depends on the size of your place, whether or not youre surrounded by hunters, management goals, emptiness of your freezer, and last but probably most important, your heart rate when he was in front of you. Hes a really pretty buck!
                          Clarify, on AVERAGE, bucks will peak at 6-7

Comment

deer looks 4.5 to me

Comment

Pass

Comment

Look at the staining from his tarsal glands. He's just run down from the rut. That bucks at least 5.5.

Comment

Working...
                                X