South Texas Hunters 2018 Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
    I thought about making a trip with my Brother last week but work kept me from going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here. Nothing exciting on camera, but it’s always been like that for the 4 years we’ve been on this lease. It’s more of a “getaway” lease than a trophy lease. But for what we pay, we can’t complain. Always get our meat with does and culls. On a positive note, we haven’t seen any trash bucks like the years past and are seeing lots of symmetrical bucks this year. Getting rid of the trash is paying off.
    Good luck to you.

Comment

I'm heading down near the Thompsonville/ Mirando area tomorrow evening. Taking my camper down and might stay a day or two depending on what I have on camera. Going to be pretty warm but I have nothing else to do so we'll see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
        I'm heading down near the Thompsonville/ Mirando area tomorrow evening. Taking my camper down and might stay a day or two depending on what I have on camera. Going to be pretty warm but I have nothing else to do so we'll see what happens.
        the area gotta bunch of rain last week...just FYI on pulling the camper off road. Hopefully you got good roads that dry up quick.

Im still a week out before I can start shredding & trimming lanes. Been sidelined & everything is running late this season. Not hitting the corn yet & really need a frost to knock down the bugs & get things rolling. Still swampy.

Comment

There’s some cooler weather coming late this week. That’ll get them moving again!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7544.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	24558807
            Little brother shot this boar hog yesterday while waiting on a cull buck.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
              the area gotta bunch of rain last week...just FYI on pulling the camper off road. Hopefully you got good roads that dry up quick.

Im still a week out before I can start shredding & trimming lanes. Been sidelined & everything is running late this season. Not hitting the corn yet & really need a frost to knock down the bugs & get things rolling. Still swampy.
              Yeah, we have a good road leading into camp. As for the trimming and cutting I'm sure I'll have a ton of that to do. But my main objective was just getting my camper down there and set up. Then maybe later take the tractor if need be. Also kinda of currious to see what's showing up on camera. Sure I'll have a couple thousand to cull through.

Comment

Yeah, we have a good road leading into camp. As for the trimming and cutting I'm sure I'll have a ton of that to do. But my main objective was just getting my camper down there and set up. Then maybe later take the tractor if need be. Also kinda of currious to see what's showing up on camera. Sure I'll have a couple thousand to cull through.
                Curious, Where is your place mas/menos between Mirando & the Thompsonville plant?? I roll through there at least a couple times a week checking on killam & Enterprise...ping me when you have a future extended stay & maybe we can meet up in Mirando for lunch during the week.

That stretch of 649 has turned handsome from all the rain...be careful with the carrion eating roadkill in the tall grass. You can't see them & pretty spooky when they scare on that skinny / no shoulder stretch. Lots of mowing needed!!

Comment

Just got back from our pasture just south of Freer. It’s a piece of the Killam that came open late and we snatched it up. To say it was wet would be an understatement, but we managed to get everything set up. Deer came out of the woodwork yesterday evening. I was surprised they came to the corn so quick considering how green it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Payne346 View Post
                    Been down a couple times....we are just outside of Hebbronville. Green, green and green some more! Going to make hunting tough as everyone has said. We have 3500 acres and poured the protein to the deer. Haven't seen great results to be honest from last year to this year with our older mature bucks.
                    Just got back today, been down since Wednesday. Same as before for us... green as heck and deer not really moving or coming to corn. Did shoot a lot of dove. Need a freeze to get us back in business. Hopefully this cold weather will get them going this coming weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                      Curious, Where is your place mas/menos between Mirando & the Thompsonville plant?? I roll through there at least a couple times a week checking on killam & Enterprise...ping me when you have a future extended stay & maybe we can meet up in Mirando for lunch during the week.

That stretch of 649 has turned handsome from all the rain...be careful with the carrion eating roadkill in the tall grass. You can't see them & pretty spooky when they scare on that skinny / no shoulder stretch. Lots of mowing needed!!
                      Will do. We're actually about four miles South of Thompsonville on 649. First year on the place and haven't seen a ton of deer yet as I spent the entire month of September setting up. Mostly in the rain. So haven't been out there all month. Other guy on the lease has a few small bucks coming to feeders but no monsters.

Comment

Will do. We're actually about four miles South of Thompsonville on 649. First year on the place and haven't seen a ton of deer yet as I spent the entire month of September setting up. Mostly in the rain. So haven't been out there all month. Other guy on the lease has a few small bucks coming to feeders but no monsters.
                        You are in some neat terrain...love driving that stretch where it's actually not FLAT in deep south tx. We got some little rolling hilly stuff on ours in Starr, but that area from Thompson to 16 is pretty cool. I bet some areas of your place has had some serious washouts.

That steep gully on 3073 right off 649 heading back to Hebbrronville is dangerous...whatever you do, don't gun it to where it feels like a rollercoaster. At least not towing a trailer.

Comment

Funny you mention that spot. About 10 years back I was driving to a location on the Lopez ranch and saw two huge bucks locked up just before the dip. Too busy watching them and not the road, I took that dip at 70 mph. Didn't catch myself till the pick up went out from under me. Crap scared the heck out of me. Still like to point something out just prior to getting to it to my wife and watch her squirm as we descend down it

Comment

Just filled this feeder for the first time this morning. Excited to see what else starts showing up.

Comment

Well one thing for sure. They are healthy.

Comment

Deer just are moving very much in
                                Webb County. So much green stuff they don’t need or move far. Bucks are trying to pack on weight before rut. One of our guys son tagged a big 7-1/2 yr old 12 pt this morning. 174-6/8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X