Need help with width

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with width

Little update for this. My grandma passed away on Monday so we went to her funeral on Saturday. Not really the way I wanted to start the weekend but I think she was looking down on my daughter. Got to the farm just before dark on Saturday and got some practicing in with the crossbow. She was shooting great out to 40yds, which is the farthest I let her practice at. Her longest shot from my bow blind is about 27yds. So I felt she was ready. Get up at 5am and get to the stand just before 6. The buck we are after came in about 6:45 which is about 20min legal shooting light. No corn on the ground so he did not stick around long. She was a little disappointed but I assured her he is pretty constituent at this feeder. Sure enough a couple of minutes after the feeder went off he came back. We watched him for about 10min waiting for him to get into a good position. He turned to the right and was watching some does in the hay meadow. I told her anytime she was ready to go ahead, but to take her time and squeeze the trigger. Safety flips off and a few seconds go by and thwack. I’m watching the whole time so I know she hit him high (about 2/3 up the body) the bolt is about half way in and angled down. When he takes off he takes a hard right into the woods and we lose him. I ask her how she felt about the shot. She said daddy I think I hit him high. I told her yes you did hit him a little high but I think we will be ok. We start the search and back track 3 times because the game trails where he went in go everywhere. She finds him about 150yds into the woods and about 15yds from the creek. Then she got excited. She however was not excited about having to drag him 150yds out of the woods. We both got on him and he was definitely the heaviest buck I have dragged in a longtime. I’m not sure how much he weighed because our scales are broken but he was definitely over 200. What an awesome time and great first buck. She is picking outa spot where she wants him to go. He was 14 1/2” wide. So without further ado here she is with her buck.

And of course the blood on the face for the first deer picture.

Last edited by bowaddict40; 10-25-2020, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Awesome congratulations to the young lady

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
        Awesome congratulations to the young lady
        Thank you.

Comment

Good lookin' buck and a great smile on your daughter. Glad it came together for y'all. Congratulations to the huntress!

Sorry about your grandmother.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
            That last pic really shows his age. 5 yr old and closer to 14” than he is 13”
            Agreed

Comment

Great looking buck... Congrats to you both.

Comment

Thanks everyone. She was pretty happy.

Comment

Man thats great! My oldest has shot several deer and bucks in the last couple yrs but I'll always remember that first one. Congrats young lady!

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                    Man thats great! My oldest has shot several deer and bucks in the last couple yrs but I'll always remember that first one. Congrats young lady!
                    Thanks Jack

Comment

Congrats to the young lady on a great buck!

Comment

Man what a perfect cull and kids first buck.

I woulda thought he was under 13, but he is OLD and perfect

Comment

First deer wrote all over him. Fantastic hunt. I bet Grandma is smiling.

Comment

Great buck! I guessed 14” on the dot. But I’ll bet a dollar to a donut he’s older than 5.5yo!!

Comment

Originally posted by ETX_REAPER View Post
                              Congrats to the young lady on a great buck!
                              Thank you very much.

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                              Man what a perfect cull and kids first buck.

I woulda thought he was under 13, but he is OLD and perfect
                              I went back and forth for about 3mos on wether he was wide enough.

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                              First deer wrote all over him. Fantastic hunt. I bet Grandma is smiling.
                              That is exactly what hunting buddy and I thought. We had some way bigger, but they are young. She was pretty disappointed but understood about one deer she really wanted. I almost let her go after him, but she came to me and said she could wait a year.

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                              Great buck! I guessed 14” on the dot. But I’ll bet a dollar to a donut he’s older than 5.5yo!!
                              You were one of the few. We thought he was at least 5. I’m gonna tell you that dude was heavy when she and I where dragging his but that 150yds out of the woods.

Thank you everybody for the kind words. She was super happy.

Comment

Awesome congrats

Comment

Working...
                                X