Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did Obama and Biden say in 2016 about SCOTUS nomination before elections?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What did Obama and Biden say in 2016 about SCOTUS nomination before elections?

Obama:

"When there is a vacancy on the SCOTUS, the POTUS is to nominate someone. The Senate is to consider that nomination... "

Biden (scroll down in the twitter thread):

"I would go forward with the confirmation process as chairman. Even a few months before a presidential election... just as the Constitution requires."

Let's add Schumer's comments:

Looks like they all agree, Trump should do his job and nominate someone!

Never will the Dems do what they insist others do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BigL View Post
      Obama:

"When there is a vacancy on the SCOTUS, the POTUS is to nominate someone. The Senate is to consider that nomination... "

Looks like they all agree, Trump should do his job and nominate someone!
      This is where the rub is. The Republican controlled senate never considered Garland.

Both sides are being hypocritical on this issue and acting like brats. I’ve not had time to research all 20+ appointments with similar circumstances. I know about half were not confirmed, but I do know many were confirmed quickly.
      Last edited by Playa; 09-20-2020, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post

Both sides are being hypocritical on this issue and acting like brats.
        This. Are you kidding me? If you want to hold the Democrats to what they have said in the past, then you need to hold the Republicans to what they have said in the past. Both sides are acting shamefully. But are we really surprised?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Should Trump get a hearing for his nominee? Yep, he's the current President.

Is McConnell a hypocrite for denying Obama the same thing? Absolutely.

Does he care? Not in the slightest. Mitch made a political gamble and won bigly, I'd say he's very satisfied with himself.

Would democrats have done the same thing? I'd have put money on it.

Will democrats try to increase the size of the supreme court if they win the senate and presidency back? I could see it happening. And for those who think otherwise, no changes to the constitution would be required (as it doesn't state a number of judges), so this is a legit possibility.

Also I just now realized Mitch has the Mississippi of last names (repeating letter count).

Comment

It's really NOT Hypocrisy from either side...history says so & simply how it works out 95% of the time.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuZqomU5EHQ"]Sen. Cruz: “That's What Presidents Do, If There's A Vacancy, They Make A Nomination” - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
              It's really NOT Hypocrisy from either side...history says so & simply how it works out 95% of the time.

Sen. Cruz: “That's What Presidents Do, If There's A Vacancy, They Make A Nomination” - YouTube
              Saw that this morning. Man, ol' carter was a real db!

Comment

Demorats, do as I say not as I do. Been that way for a long time!

Comment

Sen. Cruz: “That's What Presidents Do, If There's A Vacancy, They Make A Nomination” - YouTube
                  Ted is certainly right that McConnell's moves are standard political maneuvering, but the definition of hypocrisy is "behavior that contradicts what one claims to believe or feel."

McConnell believed in 2016 that "It is important for the Senate to give the people a voice in the filling of this vacancy by waiting until the next president takes office. The American people may well elect a president who decides to nominate Judge Garland for Senate consideration The next president may also nominate someone very different. Either way, our view is this: Give the people a voice."

Yet now he clearly doesn't want "the people" to have a say in the decision. By definition, that's hypocrisy.

Schumer now (2020) believes “The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, the vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president"

He obviously held a different opinion in 2016. By definition, that's hypocrisy.

Does it matter? I guess to some people. Just a normal day in politics.

Edit: my personal opinion is that a President is elected for a full 4 year term (and no less), and their nominees should receive a confirmation hearing from the senate regardless of how close an election is. Senators are elected for a full 6 year term (and no less), and they should exercise their power to hold a vote on confirming a nominee regardless of how close an election is.

I'd even apply this same standard to a lame duck President/Senate.
                  Last edited by sir shovelhands; 09-20-2020, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
                    Ted is certainly right that McConnell moves are standard political maneuvering, but the definition of hypocrisy is "behavior that contradicts what one claims to believe or feel."

McConnell believed in 2016 that "It is important for the Senate to give the people a voice in the filling of this vacancy by waiting until the next president takes office. The American people may well elect a president who decides to nominate Judge Garland for Senate consideration The next president may also nominate someone very different. Either way, our view is this: Give the people a voice."

Yet now he clearly doesn't want "the people" to have a say in the decision. By definition, that's hypocrisy.

Schumer now (2020) believes “The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, the vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president"

He obviously held a different opinion in 2016. By definition, that's hypocrisy.

Does it matter? I guess to some people. Just a normal day in politics.
                    It matters because in 2016 we WERE getting a new president and McConnell wanted the direction of the court to resemble that. This time we might not be getting a new president, but we also could be getting a new Congress so I think if the president nominates, they better hurry. Otherwise we will be 4-4 for years and everything will revert back to the lower more liberal court. This has to be done.

Comment

Originally posted by super_dave View Post
                      It matters because in 2016 we WERE getting a new president and McConnell wanted the direction of the court to resemble that. This time we might not be getting a new president, but we also could be getting a new Congress so I think if the president nominates, they better hurry. Otherwise we will be 4-4 for years and everything will revert back to the lower more liberal court. This has to be done.
                      Apologies, I was unclear. I intended for the "it" in "does it matter" to mean "the hypocrisy". So "does the hypocrisy matter" is what I meant.

Does the election of a new SCJ matter? VERY MUCH.

Comment

SS, if you want to pick the fly crap out of the pepper for the mere reason of defining hypocrisy, please go ahead...it boils down to politics & the history Ted explains says it all. It's nothing more than a play on words when you boil it down & get the meat off the bones.

The msm is only going to play one side of your hypocrisy quotes.

Comment

If Schumer really believes that the people should have a voice in this then he needs to call on his nominee to publish his list of nominees so the people will know what is facing them. Trump has his list out- he had his list before he was elected in 2016.

Comment

SS, if you want to pick the fly crap out of the pepper for the mere reason of defining hypocrisy, please go ahead...it boils down to politics & the history Ted explains says it all. It's nothing more than a play on words when you boil it down & get the meat off the bones.

The msm is only going to play one side of your hypocrisy quotes.
                            If he is crying it must be good for America.

Comment

The people had a voice when the voted in 2016. Trump is in office now. His job is to nominate someone when there is an opening, not punt until January. Democrats need to let him do the job that we voted him to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X