Zapata co.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zapata co.

A friend invited me down to a small place around 100 acres that is low fence between Zapata and Laredo. Not really any hunting pressure on the place at all. No feeders have been running on the place either. I know it is surrounded by larger low fence hunting ranches so the deer must be used to corned roads and feeders. Looking for any advice in hunting down in that area as I have never been that far down south before. Also, just wondering how deer movement has been down there this early in the season?

Thanks for any pointers

It is typically better down there after thanksgiving but I would turn my nose up at it this early. Depends on roads on Ranch etc. I would have a road feeder and a bunch of corn. Even if this place hasn’t been fed or hunted there is a good chance the surrounding ranches do so the animals will probably know what the dinner bell means. Not really sure what y’all have set out but if I go in blind I would drive the place and corn everywhere I could have a good vantage point and let it rip. Probably gonna bust some good pigs also doing this. Good luck and God Bless.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Road feeder will be in tow for sure!

Comment

Just a bit of advise!....Keep a low profile on such a small place.
        Putting up feeders and blinds will attract attention and the neighbors more than likely will not be very happy.
        I've seen places of that size being high fenced by the surrounding ranchers to put a stop to the complaining by their hunters.

Comment

Been really wet down there.
          We have seen good deer moving around. Even some during the early morning(usually only night time movement this time of year). As said above feed the roads.

Comment

Originally posted by natvet View Post
            Been really wet down there.
            We have seen good deer moving around. Even some during the early morning(usually only night time movement this time of year). As said above feed the roads.
            Thanks, I was hoping this wet and cooler weather may have them up on their feet this weekend. We don't plan to setup anything new. Just fill an existing feeder and corn the heck out of the roads

Comment

Road feeder and buck candy/apple scented corn. I Wouldn’t feed any fence lines heavily, light trickle until you turn into your internal ranch roads then let the yellow brick road go.

Comment

That's small in that part of the state but shouldn't affect your excitement

Comment

Working...
                X