Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do when a lease member shoots a buck on the no hit list ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would have more of a trust issue than wether he killed a buck that met the lease guidelines. He killed a buck that everyone said don’t shoot. It sounds like he thought...”screw it, I am done here”!

It would be a matter of trust!

I would never want to be a lease manager because of these kind of issues!

Comment

I would say people are being a little hard on lease boss. Trying to grow bigger deer is a hard thing. Now with that being said, the rules are a little murky. Lease boss needs to clean the list up a bit before next season. When you have multiple people on a lease, the rules need to be clear. Not only the rule, but the penalty for breaking that rules needs to be written down as well.

After reading this, I could see maybe letting him off the hook because of the rules. But Lease boss dropped a bomb when he said that the hunter shot the buck and lost him and never told anyone.. That is a big NONO. He has to go. If a guy does that, he will do it again. No one can trust a guy like that. Get rid of him and move on. CLEAN UP THE RULES. Make sure everyone knows that there will be deer put on the NO SHOOT list. Might consider just having a Kill List. Deer on this list can be killed Regardless of age. If a new deer shows up, film him and get him approved.

But Guy has to go for shooting a deer and not telling anyone that he did and lost him. Not that it was a 5.5 year old on no shoot list.

Comment

Originally posted by Codie View Post
        I am not so sure why people reading this are not getting that there are 2 lists

a "no shoot list"
        AND
        a "shoot list"

he was ON the "no shoot list" and they had talked about the deer being put on the "shoot list" but had decided against it
        I think they do and then they read stuff like "might go on a list" or "thought he was a certain age."

Comment

Yeah, i'm kinda confused. He shot a buck that was on the no kill list but then it was just talked about going on the no kill list but never actually made it to the list but most members knew about it. Then he never recovered the deer but another member knows he shot the deer that was on the no kill list but never actually made it to the list and even without recovering it knows its the same deer. Id say chalk it up as very bad communication and maybe put him on some type of probation for this year and next meaning any screw ups and hes gone.

Comment

In!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
              Let’s look at this at another angle say I as the lease manager shot the buck after it was on the no kill list ? Would it makes things different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Heck I don't know. You would of done such a good job at confusing me I probably would be just as likely to think its ok. I wouldn't know up from down, by the time we got to that point. Maybe that is your angle!

Comment

Originally posted by Miller View Post
                Heck I don't know. You would of done such a good job at confusing me I probably would be just as likely to think its ok. I wouldn't know up from down, by the time we got to that point. Maybe that is your angle!

Comment

is the "no kill list" your speaking of that this deer is on from this current year or last year, that's my biggest question??

If its from last year that your talking about then YOU are way in the wrong. If he was on the no kill list from last year at 4.5 than a member can only assume that he would be a shooter this year at 5.5 UNLESS all lease members agreed at the start of this current year that deer was not to be shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Miller View Post

My angle was we discussed this deer off limits before the season because he didn’t blow up like we were expecting him to so we all agreed before season we would give him another year to see what he does!! Then we discuss one night yeah that deer is definitely 5.5 but I still think he needs another year to see what he does two other members besides me and the guy who drew blood on the buck was there in the discussion and I thought we all agreed at that moment we were not going to kill that deer other members are mad that the deer was shot because as far as they New the deer was off limits to them which he was !!!

Comment

First year on the lease for him? If so, was he informed about shoot and no-shoot lists before he paid?

I ask this because I got on a lease once that had all the age rules but nothing in the rules about any lists. By the start of the season we had a shoot list, a no-shoot list and then it went to all deer have to be approved before you can shoot them. I got off that lease.

Comment

[quote=Hoss163;13752093]
                        Originally posted by mww982 View Post
                        You are conflicting yourself in this post. The deer was or was not on the “no kill” list. You say it was not officially on the list but then it was put on the list. You cannot have it both ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/. He was never put on the list but I agree I thought he was 5.5 and maybe we should put him on the list but never made it clear that he was on the list to all the members!!

Aggravating...but no foul.
                        l

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
                          My angle was we discussed this deer off limits before the season because he didn’t blow up like we were expecting him to so we all agreed before season we would give him another year to see what he does!! Then we discuss one night yeah that deer is definitely 5.5 but I still think he needs another year to see what he does two other members besides me and the guy who drew blood on the buck was there in the discussion and I thought we all agreed at that moment we were not going to kill that deer other members are mad that the deer was shot because as far as they New the deer was off limits to them which he was !!!

I really meant it more tongue and cheek.

That said, man even in this last post you have words like "think" "thought".
                          Maybe that is how you have done things in the past and it has worked, but it just looks like an accident waiting to happen... and it happened.

I think when you hated on the guy earlier for shooting another deer that didn't meet the trophy rule, that didn't help as well. It shouldn't matter if it is his biggest deer, you made that rule. Live with it or change it next season.

This guy may be the worst, but I can see where he can be pretty frustrated as well.

Maybe, just pick an age and stick with it? or before the season starts have everyone sign off on deer that can't be shot? That said if he met the age requirements and was a regular at my spot in the preseason, I might not be too excited about someone deciding to "no shoot list" him. Even when everyone agrees he is old enough.
                          Last edited by Miller; 11-02-2018, 09:53 AM.

Comment

I’d say if some of you decide a buck gets a mandatory pass you might want to tel everybody else on the lease or else the normal 5.5 age rule applies. In my opinion you can’t come to him after he shot the deer and punish him if you didn’t tell him.
                            Last edited by drbonner; 11-02-2018, 09:44 AM.

Comment

The only rule set in stone was 5.5 and up. Correct? So you want to punish for following rules?

Comment

I keep typing and deleting! I don’t think anyone one the lease has a clear understanding of what is going on!

Comment

Working...
                                X