No announcement yet.

Bad hornady ammo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

some rifles just don.t like certain ammo the no fires with great primier strikes needs to be addressed. very few I know including me have had good groups with the superformance, always had good luck with custom no all my rifles grouped it best but always fired and fead well,

Comment

Bad hornady ammo

Yes. I had that issue with some 25-06 hornady "custom" rounds a few years ago. Primer strikes but no powder in the shell. I still have 2 of the rounds. I still can't believe they have these get through their QA/QC.

Makes you wonder if an entire casing misses a load, how accurate are the remainder.

As far as calling them, I'm sure they'd want to know but what can they do? Give me a free round? Lol.

Comment

I've experienced a couple blown primers in their 300 whisper 110gr V-max.

Comment

Interesting this came up. My 270 has always loved the 130gr Sst Custom that hornady makes, it shoots under 1" day in day out, but they have discontinued it so I bought what was supposed to "replace it", the 130 SST Superformance Load. This load SUCKS. 2" groups in a rifle that I dont recall ever shooting over 1". Ticks me off. I have looked everywhere in stores and online and nobody has the regular custom load. Looks like I'll be loading some 270s now along with everything else. Ridiculous.

Comment

Interesting to see these many issues with that specific round as well. I have shot probably 3 or 4 boxes of the stuff over the last 4 years and my model 70 .270 loves em. Will print under an inch if I do my part and is devastating on game. Recently got my sister a rem 700 in .243 and hers liked the hornady whitetail 100gr loads best out of 3 different brands of ammo. Winchester, remingtons, hornadies, and fiochi if I remember right, put 3 boxes of hornadies through that gun since August and nary a problem.

Comment

I have shot Honady for several years with no issues until this year. I bought 2 boxes of the super performance in 7mm Rem Mag and could only chamber 6 out of 40 rounds. Did some checking and the case right at the belt is too large. We mic'd the cases and they are all out of tollerances. Some of the cases were so tight I was afraid the bolt was going to break off.
              I grabbed 2 more boxes of Federal Pemium and Remington and had no problem chambering in the same gun.

I dont doubt Hornady will make it right, but it was really a pain in the rear when I was trying to get ready for a big hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Iehooligan11b View Post
                They are the superformance SSTs. Never had any ammo ever FTF with a primer strike on this rifle before. Guess I'll just sell the rest of them. I actually had really good groups with the winchester Ballistic silvertips which surprised me because I know a lot of people hate them lol.
                Sell????? If they won't shoot in your rifle,why would you want to pass on the problem to someone else....pull the bullets and reload them..or just trash the rest a d be done with it......

Comment

I have had nothing but bad luck on all hornady ammo I have tried - worst was the superperformance.

Comment

Originally posted by Winman View Post
                    Sell????? If they won't shoot in your rifle,why would you want to pass on the problem to someone else....pull the bullets and reload them..or just trash the rest a d be done with it......
                    I have like 4 unopened boxes. I'm not just going to throw them away and I don't reload. If others who have better luck with them and haven't had issues and would buy them then why not?

Comment

I don't believe you should move cross hairs to poi. Just the opposite

Comment

I had issues with some Hornady 243 58gr Vax. I had 11rds left out of the box I was having trouble with. I gave Hornady a call and they sent out a UPS driver to pick up the partial box so they could inspect the ammo. After it was all said and done Hornady sent me 100rds of 243. Wasn't out a dime on anything. They will definitely make it right.

Comment

Had terrible performance with "superformance" but other Hornady shoots incredibly well through my 6.5 creedmoor Savage. I think I'll pass on trying the .223 and stick to shooting my gov issued ammo. Lol

Comment

Bad hornady ammo

Anyone else had trouble chambering the Super performance?
                            Last edited by TLM1972; 02-22-2015, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TLM1972 View Post
                              Anyone else had trouble chambering the Super performance?
                              No. And contrary to what others have said, Superformance has shot very well in many of my rifles. I easily shoot sub-moa with Superformance SST in my 243, 270, 308 and two of my 7mm Rem mags. I have shot a variety of Hornady ammunition/bullets over the years and they have been very accurate and the bullets have always performed as designed.
                              Overall, I think Hornady makes some of the most consistent factory loads and the best hunting bullets.

Hornady has never disappointed me.

Comment

Had great luck with the SST's in the Hornady Light Magnum round in .308.
                                The superformance though would not shoot consistently in my .308 or 7mm-08.
                                Switched to the Barnes Vortex TTSX and have not looked back.
                                Can't find the light Magnum rounds anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                X