Views:	1
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	24551716

Click image for larger version

Name:	12pt Age Progession.jpg
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	24551717

The 12pt really made a big jump, but I still don't think he is over 4.5yrs of age.

Comment

Rainfall Update from 9/3/18 to 9/17/2018

We received the following amounts since Labor Day:
        9/3 - 0.55in
        9/4 - .15in
        9/6 - 0.4in
        9/7 - 0.25in
        9/9 - 1.25in
        9/10 - 0.6in
        9-15 - 1.2in
        Total 4.4inches

To the west of us, towards Menard, in some places around the river got over 8-inches of rain so the San Saba river on our place was 15ft higher than normal. Here are some pictures of the river and how green it is with all of the rainfall. You can see the driftwood and how high the water really got.

Name:	IMG_4670 (Medium).jpg
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	24554254

Name:	IMG_4465 (Medium).jpg
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	24554255

We are hoping to disk the fields in the next week after it dries up a little bit and get these fields ready to plant. We are hoping to plant toward the beginning of October this year so we don't have to deal with the bare soil and 90+ degree temps.

Comment

Man that 12 is going to be a monster.

Comment

We aren't shooting any of these bucks this year, only does. We are hoping that the neighbors do not shoot these bucks either...fingers crossed. A couple of these bucks could turn into something really special.

Comment

10/6/18 Update

We disked our two fields last week and will be planting tomorrow since we have some good chances of rain coming up. We will broadcast 150lbs of fertilizer per acre (16-20-0) and will seed the following:
              75lbs of TAMO 411 oats per acre
              75lbs of TAM 114 wheat per acre
              3lbs of Silver River Clover per acre (they gave me a bag of Micronoc Seed Inoculant to inoculate the clover seed)

We ended up buying our seed at Justin Seed again because I called Turner Seed to pick everything up and they were all out of oats and wheat. I thought that was very strange that they were completely out. I understand that most people plant in September, but you would think they would continue to have seed through mid October.

We will be planting right around 5 acres total tomorrow. Since we have already disked and drug the fields once we will do the following:
              1. Broadcast the fertilizer on top of fields
              2. Broadcast Oats & Wheat on top of fields
              3. Disk the fertilizer, oats and wheat into soil around 1in deep
              4. Hand broadcast silver river clover
              5. Use the UTV cultipacker to firm the seedbed and get rid of any air pockets

Here are two pictures of the fields we prepped last weekend.

Name:	IMG_4794 (Large).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	24555626

Name:	IMG_4795 (Large).jpg
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	24555627

Here are some pictures of bucks that show what they've grown into over the past couple of years:

Name:	12pt.jpg
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	24555633
              We are passing on this buck again this year hoping he can get a year or two older.

Name:	10pt.jpg
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	24555634
              This 10pt is probably 6.5yrs and didn't make the jump we thought so we are going to pass him one more year and see what happens.

Name:	Big 8.jpg
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	24555635
              This is a cool 5 1/2yr old 8pt that made quite a jump from last year.

Name:	8pt.jpg
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	24555636
              This is a 4 1/2yr old 8pt that we will let walk another couple of years.

These are the two cull bucks we are really after this year:

Name:	CULL.jpg
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	24555637

Name:	CULL #2.jpg
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	24555638

Our plan is to shoot another 10 does this year and a couple of these cull bucks this year. We are really hoping our neighbors will start shooting some does because we have seen our deer numbers continue to grow even though we shoot above and beyond the numbers we are supposed to shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                We disked our two fields last week and will be planting tomorrow since we have some good chances of rain coming up. We will broadcast 150lbs of fertilizer per acre (16-20-0) and will seed the following:
                75lbs of TAMO 411 oats per acre
                75lbs of TAM 114 wheat per acre
                3lbs of Silver River Clover per acre (they gave me a bag of Micronoc Seed Inoculant to inoculate the clover seed)

We ended up buying our seed at Justin Seed again because I called Turner Seed to pick everything up and they were all out of oats and wheat. I thought that was very strange that they were completely out. I understand that most people plant in September, but you would think they would continue to have seed through mid October.

We will be planting right around 5 acres total tomorrow. Since we have already disked and drug the fields once we will do the following:
                1. Broadcast the fertilizer on top of fields
                2. Broadcast Oats & Wheat on top of fields
                3. Disk the fertilizer, oats and wheat into soil around 1in deep
                4. Hand broadcast silver river clover
                5. Use the UTV cultipacker to firm the seedbed and get rid of any air pockets

Here are two pictures of the fields we prepped last weekend.
                [ATTACH]927641[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]927642[/ATTACH]

Here are some pictures of bucks that show what they've grown into over the past couple of years:
                [ATTACH]927648[/ATTACH]
                We are passing on this buck again this year hoping he can get a year or two older.

[ATTACH]927649[/ATTACH]
                This 10pt is probably 6.5yrs and didn't make the jump we thought so we are going to pass him one more year and see what happens.

[ATTACH]927650[/ATTACH]
                This is a cool 5 1/2yr old 8pt that made quite a jump from last year.

[ATTACH]927651[/ATTACH]
                This is a 4 1/2yr old 8pt that we will let walk another couple of years.

These are the two cull bucks we are really after this year:
                [ATTACH]927652[/ATTACH]
                [ATTACH]927653[/ATTACH]

Our plan is to shoot another 10 does this year and a couple of these cull bucks this year. We are really hoping our neighbors will start shooting some does because we have seen our deer numbers continue to grow even though we shoot above and beyond the numbers we are supposed to shoot.
                Awesome stuff.

Comment

We broadcasted the fertilizer, wheat and oats last night and ran out of time. We were going to disk it into the soil and then cultipack it but we got 2” of rain last night. I’m hoping the rain pounded the seed into the soil and covered it up. It’s way too wet to go out and do anything (i.e. cultipack, disk) at this point and I think we’d be doing more harm than good. My dad is going to go look at the fields and see if we have any seed sitting on top of the dirt but my bet is that hard 2” of rain should have covered the seed fairly good. I really wish we could have at least cultipacked the fields last night but we just didn’t have the time. Next time I’ll be farming at night time if I have to. Oh well...finger crossed that we will be okay.

Comment

I’m glad y’all got a good rain last night. I bet you’ll be happy with the results.

Comment

I’m hoping so. My dad is out there now and said it’s still raining and we have a 100% chance of rain tomorrow and no temps in the 90’s. Fingers crossed it all works out.

Comment

Planting Pictures

Here are two pictures of the fields after the 2" of rain:

Name:	IMG_4816 (Large).jpg
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	24555741

Name:	IMG_4817 (Large).jpg
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	24555742

There is still some seed on top but I'm sure some of it still got covered. We planted at a high seeding rate.

Comment

HEre is a picture of the San Saba river after we received 2.1in over night and north of us got just over 4in.

Name:	River_10-8-2018 (Large).jpg
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	24555756

We got the cultipacker put together yesterday but weren't able to use it.

Name:	Cultipacker (Large).jpg
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	24555757
                          We weren't able to broadcast the silver river clover out so I'll find a new area for the clover and use the new cultipacker when we are out there on 10/19. Just want to try this thing out and see how it works.

Comment

Looks like you are getting more rain now!

Comment

It looks like we will get another 2in or so today so around 4in total in two days...Lots of rain! Hopefully the seed is still in place and will do well.
                              Last edited by bgleaton; 10-09-2018, 08:58 AM.

Comment

10-21-2018 Update

We were at the ranch this past weekend to do some bow hunting and some work around the property. The ranch was obviously very wet. We have received nearly 10.5" since planting our fields on 10/7/18. Here are a couple of pictures of the food plots:

Name:	DSCN9341 (Large).jpg
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	24558430

Name:	DSCN9353 (Large).jpg
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	24558431

Name:	IMG_0442 (Large).jpg
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	24558432

Name:	IMG_0443 (Large).jpg
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	24558433

The deer aren't hammering them now just because of how many forbs are available right now due to all of the rain. We hope to see deer in these fields come gun season once a lot of the other forage goes away.

Comment

Working...
                                X