Edwards/Real Counties Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patton View Post
    I'd be pretty surprised to see fawns this early. I've seen some in Austin this week, which gives them a breeding date of mid October. On Post #16 in this thread I have a pic of one of the earlier fawns I've seen at our place (June 14th pic//Nov 16th breeding date).
    I was looking at some pics from years past and I had photos of fawns in late May early June. HOWEVER the date might not have been correct on the camera.........

Comment

in the last 5 years I haven't seen a fawn before the end of the first week in June. I usually see them in late June and early July which makes sense due to the peak rut activity being around the last week of November.

Comment

Did y’all notice any bucks holding their antlers longer than normal?

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
          Did y’all notice any bucks holding their antlers longer than normal?
          I'l be at the ranch tonight and pull my card tomorrow.. look forward to checking it out

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I had a good long weekend at my lease. We got a good rain storm Saturday around 1 PM. We ended up killing one hog and a 4.5' rattlesnake. Deer hit the protein harder this past month than they did the month before. Not sure why but it made me happy. Saw a few does that were still pregnant. Tried to predator call two nights but we didn't call anything in.

Place is greener than I have ever seen it and there are flowers everywhere. We even have a few patches of bluebonnets which was surprising.

Comment

Weekend Trip

Made a trip to the property this past weekend (30 miles south-ish of Rocksprings). Was a great work trip with clearing lots of cedar for shooting lanes and repositioning some stands and filling feeders. Made a new trail camera stand out of an old x-mas tree stand and a 4x4. Got to sit in the stand for the evening saw 3 axis does and heard two bulls bellowing at each other for about 20 minutes. Also, the wildflowers on the drive down 377 were everywhere!

Comment

What do you use to clear cedars? I am still trying to find out the best way to do it without equipment which I realize is less than ideal. I use a electric pole saw to cut down the limbs on a small section so I can get right next trunk and then cut the trunk as close as I can.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                  What do you use to clear cedars? I am still trying to find out the best way to do it without equipment which I realize is less than ideal. I use a electric pole saw to cut down the limbs on a small section so I can get right next trunk and then cut the trunk as close as I can.
                  This past trip it was all with a hand saw and large clippers. We would just cut as many limbs with the clippers until we had room to cut the trunk with the hand saw. I was actually looking into a pole saw for the cedars. Like the idea of staying out of them especially after I found 3 ticks crawling around on me!!! Next trip will be to clear some of the cedars around the oak trees we have.

Comment

Gotcha. I am with you on the ticks, I use the pole saw to help minimize the amount I am exposed to. I have the greenworks 80v pole saw and their chain saw also. The batteries last long enough to get a good amount of work done. I am thinking about ordering another battery so I can always have one on the charger. Also the batteries charge quickly.

Comment

Thanks, I will look into that saw. How much cedar are you clearing? I was starting with just shooting lanes and around our oaks but was considering clearing a lot more. Just do not want to change their pattern too much if I take away to much cover. We are on a 58 acre tract of land.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusto 23 View Post
                        Thanks, I will look into that saw. How much cedar are you clearing? I was starting with just shooting lanes and around our oaks but was considering clearing a lot more. Just do not want to change their pattern too much if I take away to much cover. We are on a 58 acre tract of land.
                        Trying to get them away from oak trees mainly. I have taken down a few when I see the opportunity to take down one or two that is close to the road that will allow us to see substantially further........ but that usually leads to one more....... then one more

Comment

Some big rain round Edwards the last couple days.

Comment

Comment

I think I know that guy. Guy with the same name worked at State Farm claims office in Abilene 20+ years ago. A bear in the front yard in Texas will get your attention!

Comment

Originally posted by chrigging View Post
                                Some big rain round Edwards the last couple days.
                                Just dumped 4 inches out of my rain gauge in val verde all from this morning... Looked like the neighboring counties were getting it too... Looking like a good early summer as far as rain is concerned...

Comment

Working...
                                X