Senate passed big public lands bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
    The problem with legislation like this is that is winds up putting land in federal hands that is best left to the states to manage, and it restricts access to the point where your right to hunt and fish matters not, because you can't access it.
    No no no.

States can’t handle it.
    Unfortunately the feds are the best way for this and do a better job than individual states.

Comment

Originally posted by Palehorse View Post
      By The Numbers
      Acres of public land managed by the federal government: 640 million

Total acres of federal land that were entrusted to the 48 contiguous states: 156 million

Acres of those public-trust lands that states have sold: 110 million, or 70%

Acres of federal land entrusted to Western states: 64 million

Acres of those public-trust lands sold by Western states: 34 million

Estimated yearly cost of managing federal public lands in Utah alone: $280 million

Utah’s 2016 wildlife-resources budget: $85 million

Please read this article from Field and Stream before you jump to that conclusion.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/keep-...n-public-hands
      No thank you. I've hunted Alaska and seen if first hand.

Comment

This bill will permanently authorize The Land and Water Conservation Fund. A fund that uses offshore drilling revenues to fund public access to the outdoors all over the nation.

If you're interested in the types of things it has funded, or to see if it has directly impacted you, find your county in the link below and see for yourself. Over $11 million and 59 projects in Tarrant County alone. At no expense to taxpayers.

The Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF) has been America's most important conservation funding tool for nearly 50 years. Check out our map showing federal and state LWCF funding.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
          I’ve seen and know a lot of hunters that are in their 50s, 60s, and one in his 70s still humping up the mtns. Just sayin, age has nothing to do with it. There are plenty of chances and ways to hunt the West right now, with or without draws.
          Yep, me too, that's why I said "in some cases". I get that lots of guys like the idea of wilderness so they have the hunting more to themselves, but some states won't let NR hunt wilderness areas without a "guide". Where does that fit in with opportunities for all ?

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
            No no no.

States can’t handle it.

Unfortunately the feds are the best way for this and do a better job than individual states.

Yep, this is one thing the feds do better than the states. Example, Texas public land

Comment

If the guberment really wanted to do something to provide more access to public land for hunters, they could legalize "corner hopping" in the jillions of BLM land that is cut off by ranchers that won't allow access. It just makes sense to me that if (in this "checkerboarded" BLM land) you can step from the corner of one section to the corner of another, it should be legal to do so. The ranchers don't want anyone in there, because they're leasing to outfitters. The outfitters get to hunt the whole thing and you don't. Sound fair ? It's not this way on all BLM of course, but a lot is. Anything in this bill that addresses that ?

Comment

I doubt I’ll read much of it as I don’t have time so can’t say whether it’s good or bad for hunters. 662 pages is wayyy too long for anyone other than lawmakers to read and it’s in mumbo jumbo legal terms that don’t make the clearest of sense. That said, all state and federally owned land should be open to all outdoor enthusiasts for the recreation they so choose to partake in, and states selling off public land should not be allowed.

Texas is a prime example of not letting the state take over public land.

Comment

Cruz has a long record of opposing public land.
                  He would vote against anything that protected or expanded public land.

Comment

I don’t understand the surprise in republicans, particularly Paul and Cruz, voting against this.

Opposition towards federally managed lands (and most other federally managed things) has always been the platform of the republican, and more-so the libertarian parties. It just happens to be an issue I lean more left on.

You’re allowed to be conservative and not agree with your favorite politicians on some issues... think for yourselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

363-62

Comment

Originally posted by krausejmk View Post
                        Yep, this is one thing the feds do better than the states. Example, Texas public land
                        Yea like the THOUSANDS of acres the feds own in my county that they take off the tax roles and private land owners have to make up the difference and get 0 access to 90% of it!!! At least the state land does hog, deer, squirrel, waterfowl hunts several times a year for cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                          I doubt I’ll read much of it as I don’t have time so can’t say whether it’s good or bad for hunters. 662 pages is wayyy too long for anyone other than lawmakers to read and it’s in mumbo jumbo legal terms that don’t make the clearest of sense. That said, all state and federally owned land should be open to all outdoor enthusiasts for the recreation they so choose to partake in, and states selling off public land should not be allowed.

Texas is a prime example of not letting the state take over public land.

Amen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by krausejmk View Post
                            that's why I have to hunt in OK. Just way better public access

Comment

President Donald Trump held a private signing ceremony in the White House for a major public lands bill the day after his budget proposal removed nearly all the money from its most popular provision, the Land and Water Conservation Fund.

Last edited by Palehorse; 03-13-2019, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Not a fan of opening up more BLM to drilling and think the Land and Water Conservation Fund needs to get ironed out before we call this any kind of a win.

Comment

Working...
                                X