Somerville PHL 18-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by verter View Post
    So here is what I don't understand. They let us use a muzzleloader season as an extension to a general season, but we cant's take antlerless deer in Burleson county. Which is allowed according to Burleson's regulations.

I wrote to that hunt@... address and got this obviously out-of-the-book reply:

=============================================

"Somerville PHL is only open for Buck white tailed deer harvest till Jan. 20th. There is antlerless WTD hunting on Somerville at this time.

Sincerely,

Public Hunt Staff"

=============================================

You can legally take does in November 22-25 if hunting within Burleson's limits. Even though in the PHL book it says you can't.

So I'm pretty sure the same applies to the muzzlleloader season. Can any of you guys check with someone who really knows this stuff?
    PHL has it's own rules to sum it up... we've never had the extra doe days although next season we will! This is the first season they have let us hunt threw muzzleloader season it's new to all of us just follow regulations and say thank you parks and wildlife lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GD47 View Post
      PHL has it's own rules to sum it up... we've never had the extra doe days although next season we will! This is the first season they have let us hunt threw muzzleloader season it's new to all of us just follow regulations and say thank you parks and wildlife lol

You are incorrect. It doesn't matter on what land private or public you harvested an animal. You abide by regulations of a county where that animal was killed. PL book uses the most strict regulations out of 2 counties Somerville PHL is on to avoid confusion and that's understandable. It doesn't mean you will get in trouble for following county rules though. With a muzzleloader is a bit tricky due to weapon difference. That's why I asked for help.

And don't get me started on saying thank to them. I don't know about other PHL's, but Somerville has been neglected for years. Trails are almost non-existent, access roads are in horrible condition, there are no overpasses to access hunting lands when creeks get full, damaged/destroyed bridges don't get fixed, boundaries are not marked well, etc.

Comment

You are incorrect. It doesn't matter on what land private or public you harvested an animal. You abide by regulations of a county where that animal was killed. PL book uses the most strict regulations out of 2 counties Somerville PHL is on to avoid confusion and that's understandable. It doesn't mean you will get in trouble for following county rules though. With a muzzleloader is a bit tricky due to weapon difference. That's why I asked for help.

And don't get me started on saying thank to them. I don't know about other PHL's, but Somerville has been neglected for years. Trails are almost non-existent, access roads are in horrible condition, there are no overpasses to access hunting lands when creeks get full, damaged/destroyed bridges don't get fixed, boundaries are not marked well, etc.
        Then are you wanting GW adam or Jamie's ones lee county others burleson... they can answer any question ya have since I'm not sure what your question is

Comment

This land was a flood plain well before it was a hunting area so I would say thank you for allowing us to even hunt it. They could care less about the hunters. The purpose of the land is for flood control.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

Comment

Ill help add info on the topic...
            Neither of the WMAs (Nails or Yegua) are in Burleson Co. So your complaint is sorta invalid...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggwild View Post
              Neither of the WMAs (Nails or Yegua) are in Burleson Co. So your complaint is sorta invalid...

Yegua is split county.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

You go with what majority land falls under. Which is Lee; simple research will prove this. As public land hunters we cant be picky or PO’ed over any of it. If you are, spend the thousands to pick a lease somewhere. IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggwild View Post

Isn’t half of yegua wma in Burleson?

Comment

Originally posted by 97JeepGuy View Post
                    Isn’t half of yegua wma in Burleson?

Not even close to half. Like 1/8 at most.

Comment

The Hunting God's are against us. Supposed to be thunderstorms Friday again. I hope some of you can get out there during the week and make something happen. Good luck to everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by greenmonstah View Post
                        This land was a flood plain well before it was a hunting area so I would say thank you for allowing us to even hunt it. They could care less about the hunters. The purpose of the land is for flood control.

I agree. I love hunting out at Somerville, so much cool wildlife out there. I make sure to fill out the On-site Registration forms every time I’m out there, I think that’s important so the state sees the land is being used by hunters so they continue to have it open for us. Talked to the game warden on Sunday and he said that was important to fill out even if you don’t park/hunt near a unit parking lot, to make sure to stop and fill one out.

I also think there shouldn’t be any trails/roads or bridges built on the WMA for hunters. Obviously there are some oil/gas roads already established that we can use, but nothing else. This helps those mature bucks hide in those areas where most people won’t go because they don’t want to cross creeks or walk thru thick brush.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug1076 View Post
                          I agree. I love hunting out at Somerville, so much cool wildlife out there. I make sure to fill out the On-site Registration forms every time I’m out there, I think that’s important so the state sees the land is being used by hunters so they continue to have it open for us. Talked to the game warden on Sunday and he said that was important to fill out even if you don’t park/hunt near a unit parking lot, to make sure to stop and fill one out.

I also think there shouldn’t be any trails/roads or bridges built on the WMA for hunters. Obviously there are some oil/gas roads already established that we can use, but nothing else. This helps those mature bucks hide in those areas where most people won’t go because they don’t want to cross creeks or walk thru thick brush.

Agreed. Add trails thru the place youre inviting more and more folks to intrude into your hunting. The way it is now, get off the beaten path and youll likely never encounter another person.

Comment

Originally posted by greenmonstah View Post
                            The Hunting God's are against us. Supposed to be thunderstorms Friday again. I hope some of you can get out there during the week and make something happen. Good luck to everyone.

I wish I had been out there today with the wind shifting from North wind to a South wind. Saturday should be good if that wind shift from South back to a North wind will hold out until day light hours. Bucks will move and change bedding locations when that wind direction changes. Plus another cold front with rising pressures should have them looking for food. I hope someone busts one! Good luck!

Comment

Random question of the week....Anyone on here ever hunted public land turkeys? I have shot a turkey on private but never public. Searched a little and saw LBJ grasslands. A few places out East but doesn’t sound as good. If anyone else is interested in heading somewhere public let me know and we can team up or something.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug1076 View Post
                                Random question of the week....Anyone on here ever hunted public land turkeys? I have shot a turkey on private but never public. Searched a little and saw LBJ grasslands. A few places out East but doesn’t sound as good. If anyone else is interested in heading somewhere public let me know and we can team up or something.
                                Now I could go for something like this! Let's make it happen!

Comment

Working...
                                X