No announcement yet.

Lower Rio Grande NWR east lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got picked for that last weekend in February as well. Would definitely appreciate any advice or info that anyone is willing to share.

Comment

Drew on a Pending 2nd for Feb 22-24. Had a couple close encounters last year on an Archery Laguna hunt but couldn’t close the deal. Looking forward to settling the score this time!

Comment

Congrats, my brother ended up not being able to go after getting drawn, maybe you got his throwback, best of luck

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Hi, I am new to the forums, I drew a rifle tag but found this site to be very helpful. I have a few questions if you dont mind? Any help would be great but I was wondering about packing out. Do you know if they let non-hunters on to help pack out? Also, is spot/stalk or ambush style work best out there? Anyone else on here draw for feb 8-10th? Thanks
          Last edited by 3rdcoast_slope; 10-29-2018, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdcoast_slope View Post
            Hi, I am new to the forums, I drew a rifle tag but found this site to be very helpful. I have a few questions if you dont mind? Any help would be great but I was wondering about packing out. Do you know if they let non-hunters on to help pack out? Also, is spot/stalk or ambush style work best out there? Anyone else on here draw for feb 8-10th? Thanks

I asked about someone that's not drawn if they could come along to help me out last year and they just look at is as a liability issue. The park rangers are very nice and helpful but they would rather it just be you. Call and talk to em maybe they would make an exception but i was down there last year by myself too. i would say ambush is best, a lot of roads, trails and fence lines to sit on.

Comment

I drew on feb 8-10th also and would love to get more info. From what I saw they only allow the permitted hunters out there.

Comment

On your permit there will be a phone number for the local dispatch center for the Federal wardens. If you shoot a Nilgai you can call that number and ask for assistance. It's up to the wardens and they may or may not be able to make it. When my son shot his bull we called and gave our location and they came out and drove in. They helped us drag it out to the truck and then drove him out to the parking lot. Made a world of difference.

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Comment

I got drawn for 12/7-12/9. I'm super excited and nervous at the same time. Anyone else get drawn for those dates?

Comment

Hey guys. Also new to the forum. My girlfriend and I both drew for the 2/8-2/10 rifle tag.

I'm thinking about picking up a new rifle for this hunt specifically for my girlfriend to shoot. Anyone here have any thoughts on the BAR Mark II Safari in 300 Win Mag for this hunt? I'm thinking that would be a good combo of weight, recoil, knock down power, and ease of follow up shots....

Great info on this thread! Looking forward to seeing some of you guys out there.
                    Last edited by HoustonDucks; 11-05-2018, 01:46 PM. Reason: Edited for typos

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonDucks View Post
                      Hey guys. Also new to the forum. My girlfriend and I both drew for the 2/8-2/10 rifle tag.

I'm thinking about picking up a new rifle for this hunt specifically for my girlfriend to shoot. Anyone here have any thoughts on the BAR Mark II Safari in 300 Win Mag for this hunt? I'm thinking that would be a good combo of weight, recoil, knock down power, and ease of follow up shots....

Great info on this thread! Looking forward to seeing some of you guys out there.
                      I know nothing of this gun, but a 300 win mag is perfect for Nilgai. Shoot a good bullet like Nosler Partitions in the heaviest grain you can find.

Comment

If it makes ya feel better people do take these animals with arrows! not saying go in there with a .243 but don't feel that you need the heaviest of gun to take these animals, shot placement is everything in my opinion. if you look up and study the anatomy of these animals and know where your heart shot is then that should help you out as well.

Comment

How'd the first hunt go?

Comment

This will be my first Nilgai hunt. I've tried to do some research about shot placement and have found that there's pretty much two schools of thought. 1. put it through the shoulder to hit vitals and take out a leg for running and 2. hit below their hump to try and spine them to anchor for a follow up shot. I'll be shooting a 300wm and was wondering if y'all had some personal experience with it?

Comment

Not at East Lake, but have shot and killed 3 nilgai cows several years ago, like 15+ years back. Used a 3006 for all my kills using 165grain Speer grand slams I hand loaded myself. Two were one shot kills. I always aimed for the upper shoulder. I hunted East Lake last year on a shotgun/muzzle loader only hunt for deer, or nilgai if you saw them. As you can imagine, our shots had to be close. Good luck.

Comment

Well the packing starts tomorrow. Me and Goose are headed down to Raymondville on Wednesday. Gonna scout on Thursday and then give em heck on Friday and Saturday. Staying at the La Quinta if anyone wants to meet up and philosophize about life in general.

Comment

Working...
                                X