No announcement yet.

Amistad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone else started a post requesting the hunting regs: Here is a link to the hunting regs for 17-18... Pretty much the same as last year

Just an FYI when I searched the NPS Amistad website there is an alert that starting on Oct 1 park office will closed on Sundays and Mondays. Here is a link to it. For those traveling in from out of town be aware:

Last edited by Pedernal; 10-22-2017, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to get my permit via email

Comment

Originally posted by Efren View Post
        Does anyone know about how far area four is from the boat ramp? Is it possible to paddle a kayak to there?
        Are the vehicle parking spots particularly safe at the entrances to the hunting grounds? Is there parking for hunters in the hunting land entrances? And obviously don't leave anything inside that would tempt anyone, of course.
        It's a good paddle, 4 or 5 miles if I had to guess but I've seen it done. What would be even better would be camp/launch at 277N and paddle to the back side of area 5 and let the other walk-in hunters drive the animals back to you after you snuck in quietly on the kayak.

I've never had an issue leaving the truck at the parking areas, but I have heard of a couple break ins.

Comment

Do you guys walk with your bow in hand and an arrow knocked or is it in your pack? My hike is gong to be about two miles.

Comment

Two miles? Where you going? LOL...

I walk the entire way with everything put away, usually bow on sling. I'll typically break it out and knock an arrow as I'm sneaking quietly into my target area. I'll also typically wear an orange hat, there are some real yahoos out there sometimes.

Comment

Is two miles too far/not far enough? My plan is to go to area 5 and follow the lake shore to a place that looks promising. I've never done this before so any tips would be appreciated.

Comment

Target area

This is what I was thinking. Any thoughts?
                Attached Files

Comment

If you are after mouflon, that cut which goes up into a draw or canyon, is where I have seen the biggest rams. When I went out there, I used to most of the rams on the other side of the place, in large herds. Kind of hard to pick one out of a group of 80. I was following that canyon, that cut goes up into, one time and found a group of about five huge rams together down in the bottom. The walls are very steel, very close to straight up and down and probably 80 ft. deep or so. It's been a long time. I have only been back in that area twice.

Comment

Oh I dunno it seems like a long ways but at the same time if you're willing to go where others aren't then that could easily equal success. I do believe there are some large easy to walk trails in area 5, might be visible on Google Earth so be careful you don't spend all day hiking through the sticks only to have other hunters pop up easily nearby.

Comment

So are the mouflon back in that place on a regular basis? I know they left many years ago, after they left, I never saw another one. I have been told they came back, when the lake level started coming back up. But I have not heard what the numbers are like. I know when I hunted there years ago, before they left the area, I would see herds of 40 to probably 80 at a time. Then occasionally a small group of 8 to 15 animals, that seemed to happen, after they had been hunted hard and pushed by hunters chasing them.

Comment

That spot is where I plan to go, but if I happen to run into a heavily used trail, then I will set up camp there. I might take a few game cams and set them up and hope they don't get stolen. I honestly don't have a target animal, I'm just hoping to be able to get a shot at something.

Comment

That spot is where I plan to go, but if I happen to run into a heavily used trail, then I will set up camp there. I might take a few game cams and set them up and hope they don't get stolen. I honestly don't have a target animal, I'm just hoping to be able to get a shot at something.
                          I would not worry, about a game camera. The animals don't follow the same trails everyday at the same time of the day. The with the hunters moving around, that pushes the animals to different areas, or scaring them to different areas.
                          The few small trees out there, a game camera would stand out like a street sign. I don't think it would last long, before someone found it and had a new camera.

Comment

^^ Thanks for the game cam tip. Very good points.

Comment

Ttt

Comment

If the lake level is up i think it would be better to follow the south fence trail back and cut over. How bad has the hunting pressure been lately?

Comment

Working...
                                X