No announcement yet.

Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lil David whacked his target Friday evening right on schedule. Maybe ill do a couple writeups later.

Comment

Congratulations to the young man! Lookin' forward to the story and pics.

Comment

You know Steve, won't be long an' you'll have to quit callin' him "li'l David"... that boy's dang near grow'd up!! And he's a deer killin' machine!! 'Course he does have a pretty good guide..

Comment

Well my dad is David Barclay and he is David Barclay so lil David works. He is 15 now and 6ft1. Great young man

Comment

Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Congrats to lil David. He always seems to get it done! Looking forward to the write up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                Lil David whacked his target Friday evening right on schedule. Maybe ill do a couple writeups later.
                Great to hear, Lil David is a very lucky young man to have you showing him the ropes.

Rwc

Comment

I’m still struggling to find a buck bedding area or what some people refer to his core area. I seem to remember garguy mentioning it will be in an area with little to no human traffic. My question is how do you actually go about finding such an area? And even if you think you may know a spot such as this what are the signs you look for that actually prove your suspicions? I’m not new to the deer woods by no means, and do ok at harvesting my share of deer. But the whole concept of spotting something like this in the woods and knowing that’s what it is baffles me. I hunt the woods and usually find success only by getting away from other hunters. But still never really get on anything older than 3 1/2 years old. I hear about the thickest nastiest place you can find will be his hold up, but at the same time I’m usually surrounded by thick stuff like privet hedge. So how does one go about finding such a spot.

Comment

The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year

Its getting close. Yep the rut is pretty much done. All the acorns are on the ground and the hogs are helping get rid of them. Soon the best hunting of the year will be upon east Texas.

That's right. Not the best time to see a random buck cruising but by far the best time to pattern a specific mature buck. Deer that have been missing for a month will come home and settle into a consistent pattern with their past rivals.

Looking back through my records I discovered that 70 percent of our target deer were killed after Dec 10. High pressure and waning rut leaves them very close to major food sources and sanctuary areas. It just so happens that I create just such an environment on several properties every year.

I have said it before. If I could only hunt two weeks of the year it would be the last two weeks of season. We still have a few tags left and picky picky about what wears them. But ..... Its the most wonderful time. The most wonderful time of the yeeeeaaarrrr!

Comment

Its getting close. Yep the rut is pretty much done. All the acorns are on the ground and the hogs are helping get rid of them. Soon the best hunting of the year will be upon east Texas.

That's right. Not the best time to see a random buck cruising but by far the best time to pattern a specific mature buck. Deer that have been missing for a month will come home and settle into a consistent pattern with their past rivals.

Looking back through my records I discovered that 70 percent of our target deer were killed after Dec 10. High pressure and waning rut leaves them very close to major food sources and sanctuary areas. It just so happens that I create just such an environment on several properties every year.

I have said it before. If I could only hunt two weeks of the year it would be the last two weeks of season. We still have a few tags left and picky picky about what wears them. But ..... Its the most wonderful time. The most wonderful time of the yeeeeaaarrrr!

i have been waiting on this time of year all year. I cant wait till most of the lease members have given up for the year and I have the entire place to myself and the deer have come back to their home ranges and get very patternable as the pressure decreases.

Comment

Could not agree more. Have always said the same thing. The last 2 weeks our deer are bachelored back up and when one comes out, get ready for 6 more and can usually have them showing up an hour before dark.

I HATE the rut.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
                          Could not agree more. Have always said the same thing. The last 2 weeks our deer are bachelored back up and when one comes out, get ready for 6 more and can usually have them showing up an hour before dark.

I HATE the rut.
                          The rut is a fantastic time for the bucks you spent all summer hoping to kill wander off and get shot 5 miles away.

Comment

Was thinking about this thread when I logged in today. Glad to see an update. Good luck all! I’m taking off this weekend for a Christmas party but I will be back at it next weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I may have missed it but is fiddy still a target?

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper87 View Post
                                I may have missed it but is fiddy still a target?
                                No sighting of fiddy this year. Small hope he may still show up but I'm starting to doubt it.

Comment

Working...
                                X